How to manage new flouro

alex_ceee

I recently started using straight flouro and have had issues with birdsnests. I have been fishing glides with braid to leader for the past 2 years for striped bass, but now I started dabbling in large mouth. Are there any techniques for spooling straight flouro which minimize birdsnests? So far I have tried spooling my reel the same direction as the packaged spool, cranked my mag drag down tightly for my first few casts and still lost around $30 worth of FC sniper 30lb within a few minutes of fishing. I have heard of boiling the flouro on the reels spool, but I feel that will weaken the line. 

If anyone has tips for a flouro newbie, please leave them here.

Fluro has a lot of memory, after awhile it’ll just turn into a spiral no matter what you do. As far as the birds nesting, if ure giving the line any chance of gaining slack(while casting or miscast) u up your chances of birds nesting. Also try some line conditioner when you first spool it and through out it’s use. If you keep your rods in direct light this could affect the line or rapid temp changes can affect the line so try storing the reel in a box or back pack when not in use.

7 hours ago, alex_ceee said:

I recently started using straight flouro and have had issues with birdsnests. I have been fishing glides with braid to leader for the past 2 years for striped bass, but now I started dabbling in large mouth. Are there any techniques for spooling straight flouro which minimize birdsnests? So far I have tried spooling my reel the same direction as the packaged spool, cranked my mag drag down tightly for my first few casts and still lost around $30 worth of FC sniper 30lb within a few minutes of fishing. I have heard of boiling the flouro on the reels spool, but I feel that will weaken the line. 

I’ve noticed sniper to be a stiffer line, something like invizx or tatsu if you want to drop the cash will manage very well and won’t give you many issues. It seems I’ve noticed with tatsu in particular that coiling is almost negligible and it is almost so soft that it doesn’t have any memory at all. I can pull it off the spool and it almost lays flat even with 25 or 22 lb. 

I’ve used FC Sniper on some occasions. I spooled up 30lb once just because a friend ordered a spool by mistake. It’s just stiffer as has been mentioned already. After a week on my reel, it did coil up noticeably when I took my 908 out again. But I didn’t have any issues with backlashes. I had to thumb it way more than anything else I use. But I was slinging a Hinkle Trout. So I’m sure the weight of the lure helped peel it off the spool. But I did get tired of it and saw no benefit vs the 25lb CXX I normally throw heavier baits on so I peeled it off after a few weeks and spooled back up with my go to CXX. If in the future I decide to go with a heavy fluorocarbon for some reason, I’ll try something else. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, SVT THUNDER said:

I’ve used FC Sniper on some occasions. I spooled up 30lb once just because a friend ordered a spool by mistake. It’s just stiffer as has been mentioned already. After a week on my reel, it did coil up noticeably when I took my 908 out again. But I didn’t have any issues with backlashes. I had to thumb it way more than anything else I use. But I was slinging a Hinkle Trout. So I’m sure the weight of the lure helped peel it off the spool. But I did get tired of it and saw no benefit vs the 25lb CXX I normally throw heavier baits on so I peeled it off after a few weeks and spooled back up with my go to CXX. If in the future I decide to go with a heavy fluorocarbon for some reason, I’ll try something else. 

Yeah I've been fishing night a lot and getting adjusted to thumbing cold wet flouro has been a challenge in comparison to braid which seems to have much more traction on my thumb. I will probably go down to 25 since it seems a lot more in stock anyways. 

On 11/14/2022 at 1:28 AM, alex_ceee said:

30lb is stiff and make sure your spooling off the top of the spool if you’re going off the bottom it twists the line as it’s going on the spool causing loose spots which potentially increases birds nest going down to 25 or even 20 you’ll have less issues it’s a lot softer then 30 and if you’re fishing largemouth 20 is usually good in my experience unless you’re throwing 10+ ounce baits 

You can put the spool in warm water prior to spooling I wouldn't go boiling hot.  Then i use kvd line conditioner a few times through out its life on the reel.  Like said before. Try not to let it get any slack when casting. An watch leaving in direct sunlight

From my experience anything above 25lb fluoro is really memory prone. Maybe the exception would be true high-end lines like Tatsu. Line conditioner can help. But lines that thick typically are used by saltwater fisherman who use much bigger reels with larger arbors and so the line coils aren't as prominent.

I'll recommend two things.

First, a product.  Seaguar Abrazx.  I had nightmare experiences with various fluorocarbons for years, and almost swore them off completely as a main line, until Abrazx.  Invizx is even easier to manage, but Abrazx has better 'big fish' properties.  And, it bears worth mentioning that if the GOAT Mr. Butch Brown runs it exclusively, IMO thats all anyone needs to know.

Second....reel type.  Use a reel with a non-disengaging levelwind.   This makes a tangible difference.  Having the levelwind always in lock step in line with the exiting line means the line never has to cut a hard angle, as is the case with disengaging levelwinds.   The stiffer properties of fluoro don't take kindly to even a moment of line stalling on a cast due to friction angles.  In the reel world I did not get many backlashes using my disengaging reels, but I would always get a few through the year (and sometimes costing me valuable lures).  With the non-disengaging its extremely rare....maybe 2 in the past two years.

Best of luck!

-Carl

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

Keepingitreel.....has it right with the synchronized non disengaging level wind.  I use Gama copoly 17, 20 & 25.  That line does it well.  Never been a big fan of fluorocarbon.   Just too finicky.....go on "tackle tour" and read their floro showdown.  It's eye opening 

On 11/22/2022 at 10:22 AM, SumoNinja said:

Depends what you're throwing but 30 lbs is a little big for largemouth. Unless you're throwing hinkle trouts or bigger

Inviz has been good to me for few yrs now. 25 lbs 

Yeah the decision to throw 30lb came from me also fishing the same stuff for striped bass and also not trying to lose my trout 250 which I found for a steal on ebay.