Making my first swimbait

mat crasher

4 hours ago, mat crasher said:

Thanks @AsaProch. The pin is a little bit off center, which is kinda driving me nuts lol. Upside is I can fill the holes and try again if I need to. 

Won't matter! You have plenty of play in your screw eyes with a pin that skinny. Get it put together and in the water!!

Going to run by harbor freight later today to pick up some lock wire, and a few other random things.

Question: Is a harbor freight airbrush worth picking up? I don't know anything about painting, and don't want to spend a bunch of money on an airbrush if something like the harbor freight will get me by while learning the basics. Thanks!

On 12/8/2022 at 9:05 AM, mat crasher said:

Going to run by harbor freight later today to pick up some lock wire, and a few other random things.

Question: Is a harbor freight airbrush worth picking up? I don't know anything about painting, and don't want to spend a bunch of money on an airbrush if something like the harbor freight will get me by while learning the basics. Thanks!

Will it allow you to learn the basics of an airbrush, yes. Can it do solid work in skilled hands? To a degree…yes. But you’ll run into hiccups with cheaper brushes more often than higher end models. 

I’ve been airbrushing for 23 years. I started with canned air and a plastic airbrush from Walmart. I went through so many cheaper airbrushes before spending more money buying better models that I could have bought the one that changed the way I paint and then some with the money thrown at others. 

If you buy a cheaper brush and decide to stay with airbrushing, get an iwata HP-CS (Eclipse) and be done with it. In the airbrush world, it’s known as the workhorse. It comes standard with a .35mm needle/nozzle and you can buy a .5 needle and nozzle for heavier metallics and flakes and simply swap them out if buying more than one HP-CS  is out of the question. I own several and the first one I ever bought is still running like a champ. 

But there’s nothing wrong with starting with cheaper brushes. It’s kind of like fishing. Most of us all started out on the low end and eventually worked our way into better equipment as we went along. Best of luck and keep up the solid work with your bait. 

Got the chance to mess with the airbrush the last 2 nights. I have a lot to learn, and really appreciate all the help from everyone!

Now I have a good idea just how smooth I need to actually get the bait before I start painting lol.

Painting was kind of a train wreck, but it could have turned out worse.

Swim-21.JPG

I went ahead and gave it a test drive.

Not the best glide in the world, but I'm happy with it as a first attempt.

Gonna tweak a few things and see if it helps get a smoother glide.

Recommendations/Suggestions welcome!

Couldn't get the video to upload on SU, so sent it to YT. Hope that's cool.

On 12/14/2022 at 6:51 PM, mat crasher said:

Got the chance to mess with the airbrush the last 2 nights. I have a lot to learn, and really appreciate all the help from everyone!

Now I have a good idea just how smooth I need to actually get the bait before I start painting lol.

Painting was kind of a train wreck, but it could have turned out worse.

Swim-21.JPG

that looks amazing!!! 

10 hours ago, Brendan2468 said:

that looks amazing!!! 

Thanks! took my time and stumbled through it. Also, sent about a thousand dms to a couple guys on here asking question after question lol. 

Picked up enough maple yesterday to cut 25-30 more blanks. Hopefully by the time I hit #30 I’ll have some idea what I’m doing!