Shimano vs Daiwa??

Quinnadamss

I fished Shimano baitcasters conventional.  Curado 70 / 200 / 200 K.  Bought a TranX 301A in 2018 when I started with bigger baits.  It must have been a dud, because I could not get it dialed in to cast effortlessly with braid, copoly, or fluorocarbon.  Casting distance was not great, seemed very prone to backlash unless the brakes were set to the point of detriment of casting distance.  Then I got a Zillion HD.  My fishnig life changed.  Easily one of the best casting reels I've ever had in my hands.  I've since added a couple of Z2020s and a Shrapnel, all superb.  No experience with any of the Tatula reels at all.

Now, I'm just one guy that owned one TranX.  I would never buy a TranX or anything else built on that platform.  I am however, very interested in the Calcutta DC and the Conquest reels.  Probably get around to trying them sometime in the future.

2 minutes ago, chevro1et said:

I fished Shimano baitcasters conventional.  Curado 70 / 200 / 200 K.  Bought a TranX 301A in 2018 when I started with bigger baits.  It must have been a dud, because I could not get it dialed in to cast effortlessly with braid, copoly, or fluorocarbon.  Casting distance was not great, seemed very prone to backlash unless the brakes were set to the point of detriment of casting distance.  Then I got a Zillion HD.  My fishnig life changed.  Easily one of the best casting reels I've ever had in my hands.  I've since added a couple of Z2020s and a Shrapnel, all superb.  No experience with any of the Tatula reels at all.

Now, I'm just one guy that owned one TranX.  I would never buy a TranX or anything else built on that platform.  I am however, very interested in the Calcutta DC and the Conquest reels.  Probably get around to trying them sometime in the future.

Ive killed multiple tranx in the last few years, i was curious how braid plays with the T wing system on the daiwa stuff!

As much as some guys hate the DC “Noise” the Antares dc md is money for lighter glides i love that reel.  

I’ve been fishing Daiwa for quite awhile and I can agree 100% with Chevy. Daiwa for me are THE reels. The only company really who has done anything to change the casting reel game. Just my opinion. I will say the Tranx 500 is ridiculous as well as the Trinidad which it’s built after just with a worm gear and level wind. That being said, I’m all Daiwa except for the Antares DC MD that I’m getting soon. Really the only shimano aside from the aforementioned that I’ll fish. Get a Zillion HD 1520. Trust me. 

I’ve had tons of Tranx 300’s and 400 crap out on me using them for Chinook Salmon and Striped Bass. I am talking about like 3 in the 300 series and 2 in the 400 series. However, I’ve found that the Shimano Scorpion MD has been a badass reel, going on 2 years strong. With that said I think the Tatula and higher end Daiwa are much better but that’s just me. Tatula been going on 2 years strong with Tons of King salmon over the 30 lb caught on it, so I would recommend a Scorpion MD or a Tatula 300.

Edited by Secretly Beloved

4 hours ago, Quinnadamss said:

Ive killed multiple tranx in the last few years, i was curious how braid plays with the T wing system on the daiwa stuff!

As much as some guys hate the DC “Noise” the Antares dc md is money for lighter glides i love that reel.  

I don't fish braid at all anymore, so I can't offer anything for you there.

Even the Antares DC I'm leary of.  Been sporadic posts over the past few years of guys having problems with them within a short period of time after purchase.

4 hours ago, Whatthebass said:

Get a Zillion HD 1520. Trust me. 

Preach.

I've been a Shimano guy for a long time now.  I cleaned and repaired reels for almost 10 years when I was younger and I've seen the guts of every reel out there, Shimano and Daiwa are definitely the two best bass reel companies out there as far as quality,  durability, etc.  I have zero experience with the Tranx, so I'm no help there.  I've got 7 Calcutta Conquest 400A's and I've had zero issues.  Are you opposed to the "round" reels like the Conquests?  Good luck in your search. 

9 minutes ago, 22RangerZ520R said:

I've been a Shimano guy for a long time now.  I cleaned and repaired reels for almost 10 years when I was younger and I've seen the guts of every reel out there, Shimano and Daiwa are definitely the two best bass reel companies out there as far as quality,  durability, etc.  I have zero experience with the Tranx, so I'm no help there.  I've got 7 Calcutta Conquest 400A's and I've had zero issues.  Are you opposed to the "round" reels like the Conquests?  Good luck in your search. 

Not opposed to round reels, personally have never tried one. The Shimano conquest dc 200 looks very tempting though. 

Happy New Year!!!

I’ve used only four reels consistently since around 2012. Shimano Chronarch 201e6, Daiwa Tatula (first generation), Shimano Conquest DC, and the new Shimano Curado. My Tatula was a display model that I had gotten for less than 100 dollars and it has been a tank. 100 percent the best bang for the buck reel purchase I’ve ever made! I personally don’t believe that the TWING adds any meaningful distance to you cast but it is a hell of a lot easier to cast. Almost as easy as my Conquest DC. Carl, @KeepinItReelFishing, has an awesome explanation on his channel on how the TWING reduces the angle of how the line comes off the spool.  Both the Tatula and the Conquest are like a “set it and forget it”. The main thing I dislike from Daiwa is the magnetic brake system. I love being able to dial in the reel perfectly but there is always braking present, which may not be an issue if you are only using it for big baits. And I just prefer Shimano centrifugal. Also on Carls’ YouTube channel he has an explanation on the different Daiwa breaking systems. They have ones where they almost combine magnetic braking centrifugal. The metal collar actually goes into the magnetic field as the spool spins faster, and comes back out of the field as it slows down. That is the best braking system in my opinion besides DC. I believe the Tatulas all utilize this type of braking system, which really pushes them past any Shimano in that price range (again IMO). My chronarch has been beat up big time. It was my first baitcasting reel (other than the Abu Garcia Silver Max) so I’m a little biased but I love that reel, and I wouldn’t choose another reel over it. I’ve never had a failure and I’ve fought everything from bass, carp, snook, redfish, trout, flounder, big tiliapia, alligator gar, to an unknown fish that bent out a Hudd 68 jig hook down in Florida. The internals have never crapped out, and setting it up was super easy. The new Curado that I use is my least favorite reel. I find i need more effort to cast and it is a bit small in my hand, which is just personal preference. The Conquest DC is definitely the best reel, but the most expensive. Again the ease of casting is ridiculous, and it’s super easy to dial in. Perfectly comfortable in my hand, except when it’s sub 25 degrees and the metal gets absolutely freezing! The point that I’m trying to get out of this is I truly believe that if I’m going to be spending ~$300+ on a reel imma go with Shimano, but sub 300 Daiwa all the way!  Too much bang for you buck with the Daiwas. Given I’ve never used a $300+ Daiwa, only because I’ve never had to shift from Shimano in that range, but I’m sure they are fantastic too. I just don’t like the sub $300 Shimano reels. I hope this helps man! Good luck in your search!!!

On 1/1/2023 at 8:36 PM, Quinnadamss said:

Braid works great with the t-wing system. I only use braid and have it on my Coastal 200 & Lexa TWS 400. 

Anyone else notice the tranx’s casting issue after a full day/ multiple days in a row of use. If i remember right i read something on this forum about water getting into the internals after a long session and hurting the casting distance? Im a die hard shimano guy and i do love the tranxs but ya, i think they could cast better.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:31 PM, chevro1et said:

mag Z ftw lol

I'm strictly Daiwa on my smaller crank and jerkbait rods. Steez specifically. Great reel. Got 2 Calcutta conquest dc's last year for the big baits and I'll never go back. Round reels for the big baits just work for me. I have larger than average hands for a 5'9" guy and they fill my palm perfectly with no backlash