Lines for wake baits

ParkerB

27 minutes ago, Bassmann86 said:

65lbs PP Maxcuatro to 2-3’ of 25lbs Sunline System Shock leader. Keep the leader short so you are not casting the connection knot, this will also give you the full advantage of the thin diameter of braid for added casting distance.

Almost the same as my set up 

50 or 80lb braid to either 20 or 30lb mono leader 

8 minutes ago, Bassmann86 said:

65lbs PP Maxcuatro to 2-3’ of 25lbs Sunline System Shock leader. Keep the leader short so you are not casting the connection knot, this will also give you the full advantage of the thin diameter of braid for added casting distance.

Same braid and same leader same lb tests. However,  I use a 12” leader or straight 65lb Maxcuatro no leader depending on if I think it matters that day.

Last season, 20, 25 or 30lb. Berkley BIG GAME has become my goto wake bait line of choice. Budget friendly, and readily available. With those attributes, I can re-spool as often and necessary as needed. 
Big Game has been taming bass for many years. Plus here in the northeast (NJ) double digits are a unicorn fish in our neck of the world. I feel no need (as of now, I’m sure I will be humbled one day) to use anything else. 

However, this season, I might experiment with a braid to fluorocarbon leader setup and see how I like it, more particularly for soft plastic jig hook baits. I typically use straight 20lb. flourocarbon in that scenario. Sorry for going off topic.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

1 hour ago, chevro1et said:

The past two seasons I've used 20lb Izorline XXX for wakes.  This year I'm gonna try a few spools of 22lb Sunline Defier Armilo.

Make sure to re-tie often with the Armilo. I had 15lb on a conventional reel and casted off a 1/2oz bait after catching a few fish. Broke just above the connection knot. Luckily I was able to retrieve the bait but it made me leery of continuing use of the line. If that happened on 15lb test and a 1/2oz bait I’d definitely be nervous throwing big baits on 22lb. Just my experience. 

7 minutes ago, Jerkbait22 said:

Make sure to re-tie often with the Armilo. I had 15lb on a conventional reel and casted off a 1/2oz bait after catching a few fish. Broke just above the connection knot. Luckily I was able to retrieve the bait but it made me leery of continuing use of the line. If that happened on 15lb test and a 1/2oz bait I’d definitely be nervous throwing big baits on 22lb. Just my experience. 

I've used it before, both 22lb and 25lb.  Didn't have any problems with it at all.  Been a few years, just decided to re-visit it.  I have more parabolic rod now, and want to try a lower stretch copoly with it for wakes and crankdowns.  No desire to fish braid, at all.

13 minutes ago, chevro1et said:

I've used it before, both 22lb and 25lb.  Didn't have any problems with it at all.  Been a few years, just decided to re-visit it.  I have more parabolic rod now, and want to try a lower stretch copoly with it for wakes and crankdowns.  No desire to fish braid, at all.

Maybe I just got a bad spool. I got it for the same reasons as you, only fish braid on my frogging setup. Let me know how it works out. I usually just throw 15-20lb co-poly for my wakebaits.