Joint Connection Cuts

WUMFL

Sorry for another post but I have another question! I’ve been trying to get my joints cut out correctly and its a real challenge.

Need some tips because man its frustrating!

Making the cuts, drilling the hole in the proper spot, etc, 

I use a dremel with a little wood tip to hollow it out as of now but its really inconsistent and definitely doesn’t seem like the best way!image.thumb.jpg.05246a809d7a12b13e92a0daafae155b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.33525fe12832fc3a0ed2e52338434771.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.2611b603eb92d40be321ac5087ff26cf.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.aa58b1ef637f088f60530aeaa183a152.jpg

Keep the questions coming! I love reading the feedback from other makers and learning how they do what they do...

I hope this hits some of your points and is helpful: I start the cuts for the joint while the lure block is still square (your joint cut looks really clean and even). To mark the location for the holes I use a caliper to measure the distance from the outside of the cut to where I want the hole, and I push the caliper into the wood a bit to mark the spot. Cutting the slot for the joint hardware with a dremel is the only way I've seen it done so far. I guess with practice it gets cleaner!

42 minutes ago, Big Epp said:

Keep the questions coming! I love reading the feedback from other makers and learning how they do what they do...

I hope this hits some of your points and is helpful: I start the cuts for the joint while the lure block is still square (your joint cut looks really clean and even). To mark the location for the holes I use a caliper to measure the distance from the outside of the cut to where I want the hole, and I push the caliper into the wood a bit to mark the spot. Cutting the slot for the joint hardware with a dremel is the only way I've seen it done so far. I guess with practice it gets cleaner!

31 minutes ago, flaswimbaiter said:

I do it exactly the same way, you just got to take your time And putting the bait in a vice helps. Like Big Epp said….practice practice practice 

Gotcha! I guess I gotta just keep doing it, you guys think I have the right dremel bit for the job?

8 minutes ago, J-rod said:

You can also use a forstner bit it makes more of a round hole but works as well and may be easier for you.

Not a bad idea, just gotta be sure that type of hole would work for the action I want!

Take your time and practice practice practice.

I cut my joints with a handsaw without using a jig even after everything is fully carved. Drawing out where the joint should be with a pencil helps a lot.

For the joint connection, I always install the screw eyes first to ensure that I position the slots exactly where they need to be. I then line the segments up, mark with a pencil, and start hacking away with an exacto knife. No Dremel for me.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, WUMFL said:

Sorry for another post but I have another question! I’ve been trying to get my joints cut out correctly and its a real challenge.

Need some tips because man its frustrating!

Making the cuts, drilling the hole in the proper spot, etc, 

I use a dremel with a little wood tip to hollow it out as of now but its really inconsistent and definitely doesn’t seem like the best way!image.thumb.jpg.05246a809d7a12b13e92a0daafae155b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.33525fe12832fc3a0ed2e52338434771.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.2611b603eb92d40be321ac5087ff26cf.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.aa58b1ef637f088f60530aeaa183a152.jpg

Lots of great advice above.  I use the same dremel and round burr bit as what you have. 

I make two lines marking the top and the bottom of each screw slot. I'll cut a groove along each line to define the slot area. I use a bandsaw or just cut  into the lines with a razor knife to make a groove. 

I drill a hole larger than the dremel bit, with a reg drill bit in the middle of the slot, to what will be the back of the cavity. I turn the dremel down to about the 2nd lowest speed, it's easier to control and keep it from blowing out or running off on you.  Slide the D tip in and work back and forth slowly to hollow out the cavity. Patience and practice win this race.

What really helps round out the cavity smoother for me is a small wood gouge, just kind of peel out the wood somewhat like a melon baller. I hold the bait in my free hand to use the gouge but wear a carving glove for protection, they work BTW.  Then sand the cavity smooth so the hardware can't hang up in the slot.

Just a suggestion, maybe make the slot a little deeper so the hinge pin has a little more wood around it for strength.  I'm sure it'll hold up to fish,  but smack a tree, a rock or dock and the joint might crack. I broke a several that way.  Good looking bait, keep it up, look forward to seeing it finished with a fish hanging from it!!

On 2/17/2023 at 5:32 PM, azfisher said:

Lots of great advice above.  I use the same dremel and round burr bit as what you have. 

I make two lines marking the top and the bottom of each screw slot. I'll cut a groove along each line to define the slot area. I use a bandsaw or just cut  into the lines with a razor knife to make a groove. 

I drill a hole larger than the dremel bit, with a reg drill bit in the middle of the slot, to what will be the back of the cavity. I turn the dremel down to about the 2nd lowest speed, it's easier to control and keep it from blowing out or running off on you.  Slide the D tip in and work back and forth slowly to hollow out the cavity. Patience and practice win this race.

What really helps round out the cavity smoother for me is a small wood gouge, just kind of peel out the wood somewhat like a melon baller. I hold the bait in my free hand to use the gouge but wear a carving glove for protection, they work BTW.  Then sand the cavity smooth so the hardware can't hang up in the slot.

Just a suggestion, maybe make the slot a little deeper so the hinge pin has a little more wood around it for strength.  I'm sure it'll hold up to fish,  but smack a tree, a rock or dock and the joint might crack. I broke a several that way.  Good looking bait, keep it up, look forward to seeing it finished with a fish hanging from it!!

Thanks! A lot of good info here. Too bad about the carving glove thing. A day before this was posted I got hit bad with the utility knife I was carving gills with. Put me out of business for a few days! Thankfully its healing well without stitches. Posted below, just a warning but most people here I feel like arent squeamish. No blood though in the picture since thats days after it happened. Not fun!

B6EFE78C-805F-4E50-B3AF-532C43B2A5D7.jpeg