Lake Trout on Swimbaits

willlliw

I have decided to dedicate my spring break to catching a Lake Trout (or possibly a big brown) on swimbait gear. I caught several on my winter break on large jerkbaits so it seems like the next step is a swimbait. 

These fish were feeding in open water when I was catching them, so I want to get an idea of the baits that they'd go for in really clear, deep water. My initial thoughts are Tiny Klash and S-waver so a more natural presentation. The other way I've caught them is on goby imitations bottom fishing, so if there are any good big goby imitations anyone knows about I'd love to hear about them.

In our neck of the woods, usually the best time to target lakers is when the weather is absolutely terrible, the best way to catch them is when they are pushed up shallow in a mudline. They hide in the mud and ambush bait in and outside of the mud. Lake trout are generally pretty dumb as far as bait choice goes. I have been trying to catch one on a big bait for a while now but haven't been able to find and mud this year lol. I have been throwing a TK and a Sweetkiller, but I bet they'd hit glides as well and maybe even multi-joint baits. Like I said, they aren't picky, It's just all about weather and putting a bait right in their face. 

Another big factor is the direction the wind is coming from, I can't exactly remember which direction kicks up the most mud but my friend Jared who I think you know from Insta could tell you in way better detail about weather conditions. The cool thing about lakers around us is that you can literally target them from shore in 3-20ft water from November to May. 

We have an invasive population in Flathead Lake about an hour's drive from where I'm at. Now that I've got a car that can tow my jet boat I'm planning on trying to get into some lakers this summer! I'm thinking 8" & 10" fast sinking hudds, tubes, and some crankdowns off the downrigger. 

3 hours ago, ThatKidInNY said:

Another big factor is the direction the wind is coming from, I can't exactly remember which direction kicks up the most mud but my friend Jared who I think you know from Insta could tell you in way better detail about weather conditions. The cool thing about lakers around us is that you can literally target them from shore in 3-20ft water from November to May. 

Talking to some of the local ice guys that go for lakers it seems like they are very preferential to feeding in pretty shallow waters compared to where they live most of the time. The guy who I saw catching the most lakers was fishing shelf rock in 6' above a massive drop off down to the depths. 

2 hours ago, BassinMass978 said:

Spring time when they’re up shallow I’ve caught them on glide baits.  Mike Shaw (MS Slammer) runs his own baits on a downrigger to catch big lakers in the summer.  Only guy I’ve seen successfully downrig a hardbait like that. 

I wanna pick his brain about this and try it out up here in MA

On 3/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, willlliw said:

I have decided to dedicate my spring break to catching a Lake Trout (or possibly a big brown) on swimbait gear. I caught several on my winter break on large jerkbaits so it seems like the next step is a swimbait. 

These fish were feeding in open water when I was catching them, so I want to get an idea of the baits that they'd go for in really clear, deep water. My initial thoughts are Tiny Klash and S-waver so a more natural presentation. The other way I've caught them is on goby imitations bottom fishing, so if there are any good big goby imitations anyone knows about I'd love to hear about them.

It is definitely worth a shot, as others have mentioned. The regular 8” Hudds work when cast and retrieved or vertically jogged and I suspect other big soft plastics will too. I haven’t taken them on hard baits but I know of guys in CO that get them on glides and other sinking baits. Trolling big floating baits with a downrigger is another proven option.

If you search the Flipside for videos by Swimbo, there’s a neat one from some years back where he gets some big lakers from a kayak.