Butch Brown Tuned 250s Mirror Trout up on TW

Kennedy1055

yes that is what he does he injects the front half and adds screw eyes so the joint is adjustable so he / you can make it glide tighter or wider. then he adjusts the weight for  a faster rate off fall for fishing deeper waters. and he also adds his prefered hooks.

watch the youtube video from tackle warehouse and he explains all he does on the new style deps 250's

Edited by swimb8bassin512

Serious question, If the DEPs 250 is a solid bait why does Butch need to put so much effort into modifying it? I get that tweaking and customizing baits to say reenforce the terminal tackle or get a specific action you're looking for is common practice, but this seems like a complete overhaul with no real explanation of benefit, outside of durability.

This is not a dig at Butch or DEPs.  When should a modification equal a revision? 

1 hour ago, Process77 said:

Serious question, If the DEPs 250 is a solid bait why does Butch need to put so much effort into modifying it? I get that tweaking and customizing baits to say reenforce the terminal tackle or get a specific action you're looking for is common practice, but this seems like a complete overhaul with no real explanation of benefit, outside of durability.

This is not a dig at Butch or DEPs.  When should a modification equal a revision? 

See the post right above yours ^^^

Butch likes to fish these deeper than the standard 250 is set up for, and he makes it adjustable for on-the-fly modification. The video link in the post above yours explains everything 

13 hours ago, JacksonF said:

See the post right above yours ^^^

Butch likes to fish these deeper than the standard 250 is set up for, and he makes it adjustable for on-the-fly modification. The video link in the post above yours explains everything 

I guess to that point, if I were a bait manufacturer and there was such a demand for these to the point that they can make an easy 22k on dropping 100 baits, why not make it a production model and call it the BB250 - charge a bit more for it, and then you have a bankroll.

1 hour ago, justintrask said:

I guess to that point, if I were a bait manufacturer and there was such a demand for these to the point that they can make an easy 22k on dropping 100 baits, why not make it a production model and call it the BB250 - charge a bit more for it, and then you have a bankroll.

I agree. Butch made these modifications out of necessity since the 250 was the only bait like this available at the time. I mean the dude imported them from Japan and kept them a secret for a reason. Those days are gone, make a production model and give the guy his royalty. 

These days there are more offerings that can compete without all the extra labor. Although can't understand why other manufacturers are slippin on that skin coat though?

5 minutes ago, Process77 said:

I agree. Butch made these modifications out of necessity since the 250 was the only bait like this available at the time. I mean the dude imported them from Japan and kept them a secret for a reason. Those days are gone, make a production model and give the guy his royalty. 

These days there are more offerings that can compete without all the extra labor. Although can't understand why other manufacturers are slippin on that skin coat though?

that skin coat is likely a patented thing, and a company like Deps has the money to fight it, where-as companies like Throwback who have been knocked off, even if it were patented, just don't have the resources to fight it. I think that's one thing that makes the Deps lineup super unique is the skin, and I'm sure they're prepared to fight to keep that theirs.

14 minutes ago, justintrask said:

that skin coat is likely a patented thing, and a company like Deps has the money to fight it, where-as companies like Throwback who have been knocked off, even if it were patented, just don't have the resources to fight it. I think that's one thing that makes the Deps lineup super unique is the skin, and I'm sure they're prepared to fight to keep that theirs.

Thats fully justified for DEPs and fully F**cked for throwback. To that point Gilbert gets pretty fired up about knockoffs rightfully as well.  

in my opinion and i could be wrong, most likely i am.

it seems to me he is just turning the new style baits back in to the OG Deps 250"s. makes sense now that the older ones are getting harder and harder to find.

i mean it takes a few more steps because of the new design but the end result is just an og foam bodied tuned deps 250 is it not ?

Edited by swimb8bassin512

20 minutes ago, swimb8bassin512 said:

in my opinion and i could be wrong, most likely i am.

it seems to me he is just turning the new style baits back in to the OG Deps 250"s since the older ones are getting harder and harder to find.

i mean it takes a few more steps because of design but the end result is just an og foam bodied deps 250 is it not ?

I think it's a foam body OG that has additional tuning options which is what sets it apart as a class of its own from the OGs

33 minutes ago, justintrask said:

I think it's a foam body OG that has additional tuning options which is what sets it apart as a class of its own from the OGs

Additional tuning options as far as what ? Not arguing, just asking / curious if I’m missing something else