Butch Brown Tuned 250s Mirror Trout up on TW

Kennedy1055

3 minutes ago, swimb8bassin512 said:

Additional tuning options as far as what ? Not arguing, just asking / curious if I’m missing something else

I may be misunderstanding since I haven't owned an OG but have owned a BB, but doesn't the BB sink a bit faster because of his mods as well? Or do the OGs tend to fish deeper?

The og 250 imo is the best glide bait you can buy ready to fish out of the box. The newer style is plastic and full of air so it doesn’t stay down in the water if you rip it. They tend to nose up and if you fish it hard for striper or cast it in to rocks and docks they tend to crack and will fill with water. Filling the new style with foam makes it more reliable and predictable kind of like the og foam. I’m honestly surprised he released this to the public or thru tackle warehouse it’s like having a custom garage made bait that hardly anyone has. I would stop asking questions and complaining and just reap the benefits. 

5 hours ago, swimb8bassin512 said:

in my opinion and i could be wrong, most likely i am.

it seems to me he is just turning the new style baits back in to the OG Deps 250"s. makes sense now that the older ones are getting harder and harder to find.

i mean it takes a few more steps because of the new design but the end result is just an og foam bodied tuned deps 250 is it not ?

5 hours ago, justintrask said:

I think it's a foam body OG that has additional tuning options which is what sets it apart as a class of its own from the OGs

This seems pretty close to accurate. The main reason behind filling the front with foam is so he use screw eyes in the joint which allows you to tune the joint angle and thus the swim. As far as “fishing it deeper” that’s just added weight, doesn’t have anything to do with being an og or not.

if you know anything about tuning other jointed baits that have a pin/screw eye style joint you’ll know what I mean. My understanding is that the og deps have this same setup which changed in the second revision of the bait. And is the main reason most guys that actually know anything want them, otherwise dudes just snatch them up because they heard og is better

Edited by brootalititties

On 3/9/2023 at 4:18 PM, Process77 said:

Serious question, If the DEPs 250 is a solid bait why does Butch need to put so much effort into modifying it? I get that tweaking and customizing baits to say reenforce the terminal tackle or get a specific action you're looking for is common practice, but this seems like a complete overhaul with no real explanation of benefit, outside of durability.

This is not a dig at Butch or DEPs.  When should a modification equal a revision? 

New styles don’t have any adjustability besides weighting, the hinges are fixed, but by adding the foam he can insert screws that can be adjusted. 

6 hours ago, Morph808 said:

I wonder if one can mail the man a Deps 250 and pay him to tune it.

I don't know if he still does it, but was listening to the CnC podcast with him and he was talking about how guys would send their 250's with a $20 in the mail and he'd send it back tuned. I think this just cut out the shipping and receiving process of that is all, as far as I know he's still tuning them.

Here’s my useless two cents :D

Rewind to when the new style 250 was released. Damn near everyone practically balked at them about how they’re gonna break so easily cuz they’re plastic junk. Here we are and I’m not positive I’ve ever seen someone break them. They’re durable enough without injecting foam. Beyond that, I think the adjustable eye screws are great and nice to tune your bait depending on how you wanna fish it that day. 

That said, I’m kinda surprised guys are paying so much more money for a bait that is tuned to sink faster when you can do that on your own in 5 minutes with $.30 worth of lead tape. And the difference is, if I wanna fish my bait in 2 fow slowly one day, I can peel the tape off and do it. You can’t un-tune your BB bait. So you’ve gone to having a less versatile bait imo. By adding that bit of lead tape, you also fixed the issue of the bait nosing up on the retrieve. Again, this can all be done in minutes and costs you cents. And you can do it on any color 250 you want, not just BB released colors. Just seems a little spendy for a faster sinking bait with a signed box. 

I’m pretty confident most, if not all of them baits and signed boxes are going to end up on a shelf as some sort of Trophy, Status Symbol or Bragging Rights. Collecting dust. 

Never to stick a fish as intended. 
To each is their own. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

6 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Here’s my useless two cents :D

Rewind to when the new style 250 was released. Damn near everyone practically balked at them about how they’re gonna break so easily cuz they’re plastic junk. Here we are and I’m not positive I’ve ever seen someone break them. They’re durable enough without injecting foam. Beyond that, I think the adjustable eye screws are great and nice to tune your bait depending on how you wanna fish it that day. 

That said, I’m kinda surprised guys are paying so much more money for a bait that is tuned to sink faster when you can do that on your own in 5 minutes with $.30 worth of lead tape. And the difference is, if I wanna fish my bait in 2 fow slowly one day, I can peel the tape off and do it. You can’t un-tune your BB bait. So you’ve gone to having a less versatile bait imo. By adding that bit of lead tape, you also fixed the issue of the bait nosing up on the retrieve. Again, this can all be done in minutes and costs you cents. And you can do it on any color 250 you want, not just BB released colors. Just seems a little spendy for a faster sinking bait with a signed box. 

I’ve tried messing with the lead when they first came out, I even made my own mold to mess with the chin weight. Stupid thing still nosed up and came out of the water so I gave them away and stuck with my og and never looked back. But now with adding foam and getting rid of the air trapped in the body I’m curious if it will still nose out of the water or if it remedy’s the problem.

12 minutes ago, JustinHill said:

I’ve tried messing with the lead when they first came out, I even made my own mold to mess with the chin weight. Stupid thing still nosed up and came out of the water so I gave them away and stuck with my og and never looked back. But now with adding foam and getting rid of the air trapped in the body I’m curious if it will still nose out of the water or if it remedy’s the problem.

That’s interesting. I don’t seem to have any issues just using golf tape on the chin. Seems to level them out and get just a slightly faster sink. I bet flouro would help too but I use mono