Bib recommendations

Jerkbait22

Looking for waterproof bib recs. I usually only fish on days with light rain/drizzle but looking to get some cold weather gear to be able to get out more often this spring even if there is some rain in the forecast.

I have a 29" inseam so looking for something that's not going to be super long.

It was tough finding a bib that fit me well. I had to try a few of them on before I found one that was comfortable and allowed me to walk and bend down easily and weren't too long in the legs. I have an expensive pair from Simms that does not fit me as well as a much cheaper pair from Grundens. Maybe grundens offers free return shipping if none of the local stores near you carry the brand. I'd check into that. 

I highly recommend Simms. I have had a pair for about two years now and they have not leaked at all. It has been an extremely wet winter and they worked well even at long 50+mph runs in the boat. Just be sure you try them on as some of them fit better than others 

If you can afford it - Buck n Bass are hands down the best bibs and jackets available, but they are pricey.

Simms was good 5 years ago (I still have a proDry suit), but I feel they have gotten away from quality as they have become so much more popular. 

I prefer non insulated bibs as I find them far more versatile when it comes to weather conditions and year round use.  My rain suit gets extensive use and I find non insulated gear to be far more compact for travel and/or saving on boat space.  With an inseam of 35” the Simms ProDry bibs have served me well for many years.  

The ones u guys are recommending, are they truly water proof and u stay dry on a full day of fishing in heavy rain?

I picked up, now, 2 different jackets from Columbia and a cheap bib, they are water resistant, not water proof. Water eventually seap in and I get wet elbows, knees and thighs. So I'm also in the market for a bib and jacket that are truly water proof 

Edited by SumoNinja

On 3/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, BassinMass978 said:

If you can afford it - Buck n Bass are hands down the best bibs and jackets available, but they are pricey.

Simms was good 5 years ago (I still have a proDry suit), but I feel they have gotten away from quality as they have become so much more popular. 

You aint kidding about pricey.

10 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

The ones u guys are recommending, are they truly water proof and u stay dry on a full day of fishing in heavy rain?

I picked up, now, 2 different jackets from Columbia and a cheap bib, they are water resistant, not water proof. Water eventually seap in and I get wet elbows, knees and thighs. So I'm also in the market for a bib and jacket that are truly water proof 

Simms pro dry for sure 

Just got back from a day of fishing in a downpour and I guess I’m rain gear shopping again, I had a set of the AFTCO hydronaut bibs that I’ve had for 2 years and I got absolutely soaked in them today, pretty disappointed as I definitely don’t feel like they’ve been worn enough to be leaking through, I’ve worn them a fair bit but mostly in the winter months as a wind layer, they haven’t been in many days where it rained as hard as today