Help built my setup.

TroutHunter15

I just cannot make my mind up on a setup. I will mainly be using it for river fishing for stripers out of a drift boat. I need something I can make quick cast from the boat when I can get cast in. The river is pretty open and I want to cover water. Lures will mainly be S Wavers and Magdrafts. I understand there isn't a perfect combo for that but, S Wavers are my go to on my local river. Just getting into swimbait fishing and want to expand the baits I use. I would like to get out around $300, but could go a little higher if needed. Looked at Fury 795, SLX and Victory rods and I really like the 300 Curado but it might be overkill. Help a fella out. 

How big do the stripers get in your area? In Northern CA on the Sacramento River and Colusa River, stripers can potentially hit 25-30+ lbs. If you fish the SWaver 200  or slightly larger glides, then the Fury 806 would be better and has that reserved power. If you will fish mostly 1-2oz glides then the Fury 795 from personal experience will work.

As far as the Curado 300 being overkill? I don't think so. Better to have more reserve power than not enough. If still not convinced, then a Curado 200K or Tatula 200 or Coastal 200 has plenty of power and can toss the lighter lures better.

I would say the tatula 200 pairs up real nice with the fury 795. 300 may be to much reel on that rod but would be nice on the 806. @Morph808 hit it right on the head for bait to rod pairings I believe so that choice is all based on baits being thrown.

Good luck I hope you stick some nice striper dude!

4 hours ago, Morph808 said:

How big do the stripers get in your area? In Northern CA on the Sacramento River and Colusa River, stripers can potentially hit 25-30+ lbs. If you fish the SWaver 200  or slightly larger glides, then the Fury 806 would be better and has that reserved power. If you will fish mostly 1-2oz glides then the Fury 795 from personal experience will work.

As far as the Curado 300 being overkill? I don't think so. Better to have more reserve power than not enough. If still not convinced, then a Curado 200K or Tatula 200 or Coastal 200 has plenty of power and can toss the lighter lures better.

I've caught them up to 25 lbs and seen some pushing 40. Add in heavy current to the mix and it is a fun ride. I'm just way under gunned on my spinning setup. Looking braid to leader. I will check out the Tatula 200 as well. 

Any chance you’re a lefty? There’s a coastal 200 on the black market at a really nice deal. It’s a beast of a reel. These daiwa 200 sized reels seem like they are in the middle of a shimano 200 and 300 sized reel.

$160 for the reel and I believe the dobyns fury line is about ~$140, puts you right at your budget.

Edited by manansalsa

Beast 40 for a reel, don't get a tat 200 or coastal.  The revo is a far more rugged reel for around the same money I have both so I can give you me honest opinion. For open water river striper fishing I would be using a 867 so I can bomb cast and have a mechanical advantage to fight a big fish with a longer rod.

I fish the CA Delta and rivers for striper mostly from a kayak. For lighter glides I tend to run a Okuma Guide Select 1-6oz rod. The rod is great for baits from around 1.5-4.5oz and handles big striper easily. I have it paired with a Lexa 300 bc I also fish saltwater and I like having plenty of power to keep fish out of cover when necessary. The combo cost me less than $300 all in, I got the rod on sale for $105 (MSRP is $140) and the reel used on here for $120.