Deep Water

Lucas

I'll admit it, I avoid it. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm missing opportunities for bites and possibly a big bite. I have zero confidence in fishing it.

To specify, I'm talking water over 15-feet deep. Many of the south Jersey puddles I fish are shallow, with the bulk of my fishing being done in the 4-to-6-foot depth range. All the textbook "targets" can be found in that area, including, creek channels, points, flats, and various cover like laydowns, grass lines, and rockpiles. And while I've had success catching nice fish (I've never caught a true giant), I feel that my game is lacking by not fishing deeper.

I know, I know, drag a Hudd. For all the success members have had with the 8" Hudd, I just can't get bit. Admittedly, a lot of this is my fault. I don't stick with it long enough. As the song states, "blame it on my ADD". :lol:

I fished a lake on Sunday that is fairly deep, with the depths up to 65-feet near the dam. The majority of the lake is 20-30-feet deep. However, my pansy-ass stays in water no deeper than 12. :lol: Guess what, I skunked. :?

Well, with the cold weather upon the NE, I feel I need to up my game and my deep water approach. Yes, I understand that not all fish will be deep; however, I do know that at one of the lakes I fish, the bass seem to stack up in the deepest section of the lake.

So tell me, what do you guys do to fish deep water? I know Cali has some deep-water reservoirs, so what is your approach? How do you fish deep water? Drag a Hudd? Hop a Mission Fish? Crawl a 250? Do I just need to do the same things I do in the shallow water, only deeper? :lol: Is it not my fishing, but my patience that I need to work on?

I have the exact opposite problem. Ever since I read Bill Murphey's book I all but refuse to cast into water that is less than 12' :lol:, and more often than not I am casting into 30+ if the lake has it.

Big fish love deep water access, so even if they are not in it they will be close to it. The best advice I can give is to read that book and apply his tactics to fishing a swimbait. Hudds and mission fish are probably most easily translated from his technique of stitching. Once you start learning what to look for by dragging something through these areas, finding the deep rock piles, creek break, etc you can than try working different baits over those same areas your slow sinks and floaters.

You guys are missing out..there are ALWAYS fish deep, 25-40 if you have it. Not the case shallow.

Admittedly, I shy away from a good bit of the deep stuff but I think where guys really have an issue is fish OVER deep water. Not necessarily fish located on the bottom.

# 1 thing you guys need to understand is that most of the time the fish aren't just "deep". They might be in deep water, But they are relating to something.

Its easy when we can see with our eyes what we are fishing.

To consistently get bites deep you need to have a good understanding of what you are actually fishing and how the fish are relating to it.

When you are fishing shallow, Your not just fishing shallow water. Right?

Fishing deep is no different its just deeper and you cant see what your fishing.

You need to take the time to figure out whats actually going on down there.

Spend some time graphing your spots from all angles get a good feeling of what that spot actualy looks like. A 1/2oz.-3/4oz. jig is a great tool for exploring deep structure. You might try going to some of your shallow water spots and turning around and drag a jig around deep and see what you can feel. Feeling for weeds, rocks , sand , breaks, humps, what ever. Once you feel like you have a good understanding of a spot you can set up on it properly and fish it with a swimbait.

If your mostly a shallow water guy, start shallow. When that doesn't work. Start working your way out into deeper water following the structure or contours. Sometimes its as simple as moving deeper on the same spot.

Most of the time fish don't just swim through open water strait do the "deep". They follow structural breaks or weed edges. Try and follow the fish.

It takes some time to find the spot on the spot. but its well worth it.

Lucas, You should PM Steve P. Urban. Pretty sure you guys have talked befor? He is a great guy, excellent deep water guy and I think familiar with your water.

Also if you haven't already, you need to read Bill Murphys book. Not a swimbait book but lots of good deep water structure info.

Fishing randomly in deep water is tough test of patience. I still need to have something to throw at. Just like you are looking for your shallow structure find SOMETHING out there in the deep end. A pile of rocks, a lone clump of weeds, a brushpile. If you can't find anything in the basin then put something there...

More important than fishing the deep water itself though is fishing the edge of it. Obvious stuff, like the point that extends furthest out or the steepest bank. My favorite would be the edge of a flat that drops from 10-15 into 25+. Any ledge type of scenario similar to that, especially if there is something different right on the break.

I like to stay right up on the bank or the shallow side and throw out into nowhere and bring my bait right into my target. Slow and low with a soft bait.

Nothing ground breaking there. Find structure and fish it.

You guys are missing out..there are ALWAYS fish deep, 25-40 if you have it. Not the case shallow.

Admittedly, I shy away from a good bit of the deep stuff but I think where guys really have an issue is fish OVER deep water. Not necessarily fish located on the bottom.

True that. Deep suspended fish are tough to catch. Its all about timing. Being there when it happens. Most of the time even those suspended fish are relating to something. It might be 20-100' away but they are still relating to it.

You might have a flat or hump in 10' of water with 20+ feet of water all around it with fish suspened in open water all day. then something changes and they all move up onto the edge of the hump, flat, point or what ever, to feed. its all about timing.

I have the exact opposite problem. Ever since I read Bill Murphey's book I all but refuse to cast into water that is less than 12' :lol:, and more often than not I am casting into 30+ if the lake has it.

...Maybe if you did cast "shallow" you wouldn't be on such a skunking streak. :lol:

I hear you guys in regards to Bill Murphy's book. I've had a copy for years (decades?); maybe since it first came out, and know that big fish like deep-water access. They don't get big by being vulnerable (shallow). One of my best/favorite spots is a flat near a creek channel. Sometimes the fish are on the flat chasing, sometimes I have to hit the channel. Of course, that channel is only about 6 feet. I will admit that I should definitely revisit the book. It's been awhile.

This brings me back to my original post; maybe it's just me not being patient enough. I feel from what I've read I have the knowledge. I'm just having trouble translating that to on the water. Again, I might just need to be more patient. The #DonFather catches plenty of big fish and his videos, to me, are like watching paint dry until he feels the thump. (no offense, Don. You're the man!) :lol:

So basically, it's not so much the deep water per say, it's the cover found there.

Lucas, You should PM Steve P. Urban. Pretty sure you guys have talked befor? He is a great guy, excellent deep water guy and I think familiar with your water.

Steve and I have "chatted" before. We've butted heads too. :oops: I should contact him today, he'll be in a good mood since the Flyers won last night. :lol:

...Maybe if you did cast "shallow" you wouldn't be on such a skunking streak. :lol:

You are 100% right, but honestly I have no interest in pounding through all the 3lbers in the shallow water. I would much rather stick out hundreds of hours if i have to for a good fish ;)

It is just like you said though, it is all about patience, I have the patience of a monk when it comes to fishing :lol: not everyone does and I can imagine how frustrating it can be

Some solid advice on Murphy's book(don't buy if it you live close to me ;) ) and damn good insight from bigworm, sethb and vikingbear8! I need to also fish deeper....especially since I have plenty of lakes around here with max depths over 300 and a few close to 400 :shock: I would think that guys with a good understanding of dragging a hudd will be able to answer this question the best: if Butch, Colby(go chase state records in Oregon if you think this guy shouldn't be in this discussion ;) ), or the Donfather responds on this one, I would listen :D

My biggest problem with deep water, I just don't like it! I like fishing that top 5 feet of the water column like most guys. It's very hard to visualize what's going on down there, definitely need to use my side imaging more to help with that :twisted: