Fishing Huddleston’s At Night?

Mossyback Angler

As the title suggest, does anyone fish Hudds or any wedge type tail swimbait for that matter at night?  I’m not talking about low light or dusk conditions, I’m talking middle of the night type of fishing. 
If so, what’s your take on it? What kinda of experience did you have?

I have never done so myself, let alone even considered till now. I understand the whole tail thumping thing and the bass lateral line would pick up on it. But I always viewed Hudds as more of a subtle visual presentation to appeal to a bass. 

Thoughts? Opinions? I’m really curious if others have found success fishing these soft baits at night.

2 hours ago, Mossyback Angler said:

As the title suggest, does anyone fish Hudds or any wedge type tail swimbait for that matter at night?  I’m not talking about low light or dusk conditions, I’m talking middle of the night type of fishing. 
If so, what’s your take on it? What kinda of experience did you have?

I have never done so myself, let alone even considered till now. I understand the whole tail thumping thing and the bass lateral line would pick up on it. But I always viewed Hudds as more of a subtle visual presentation to appeal to a bass. 

Thoughts? Opinions? I’m really curious if others have found success fishing these soft baits at night.

In the recent cast to crank with Ben from LDC they kinda touch on fishing ROF 0s at night with a nail weight.. also believe it's been mentioned here a few times as well supposedly pretty deadly but hard for me to pick up a hudd over a wake at night lol 

5 hours ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

In the recent cast to crank with Ben from LDC they kinda touch on fishing ROF 0s at night with a nail weight.. also believe it's been mentioned here a few times as well supposedly pretty deadly but hard for me to pick up a hudd over a wake at night lol 

You know, I didn’t think of the ROF 0 and waking it at night. But yea, give me a true wakebait at night anytime is just too deadly. 

I probably should elaborate more: I was thinking of like the ROF 5 or 12 and working it through the bottom and middle of the water column.

6 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I don't see why it would not be effective. I seem to recall Matt Allen talking about fishing Hudds at night (like, pitch black dead of night) in the winter and being the only guy on the lake. 

I gotta see if I can find that somewhere. Would be interesting to see the thought process there and success rate. 

I’ve used ROF 5 Hudds a lot at night while targeting big walleye in a lake that also has some decent bass. Interestingly, despite more hours spent fishing that lake than I care to admit, I’ve never caught a bass there on a Hudd at night, though I’ve caught them there by day. At night the bass on that lake seem to respond best to wakebaits, which I’ve used with success. I will say that the areas I fish for walleye and those I fish for bass only overlap a little, so that could be a big part of it.

Edited by FishDr

6 hours ago, chevro1et said:

I don't see why it would not be effective. I seem to recall Matt Allen talking about fishing Hudds at night (like, pitch black dead of night) in the winter and being the only guy on the lake. 

Quick search at YouTube University and I think I found a couple of videos Matt Allen talks about nigjt fishing Hudds & soft baits. He was talking about slow crawling them on the bottom at night. Guess I’m headed out to experiment a bit. 

** side note I had laugh at how young he is in the video link I shared. Definitely come a long way since posting that video. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

I’ve tried after watching that Matt Allen video a while back but I fish almost all ponds and I’ve never really been able to get bit on a hudd even the 68. Nor the hudd gill for some reason. I still try them though. Night time is no different and Matt suggests crawling bottom and bumpin everything super slow speeds. I just don’t have the patience to spend several minutes on one cast dragging a hudd across bottom when it’s pitch black outside. It’s not my style. That being said, I have caught at night on the Mattlures hammer tail 5.5 gill on a slow steady speed but not crazy slow

4 hours ago, manansalsa said:

I stopped waking hudds after they removed the belly hook hangers. I would be interested to see how someone would rig a new style hudd to wake.

I bought a ROF 0 off the Huddleston website last week and I’m 99% sure it had the belly hook hanger, I know it said the ROF 0’s and 5’s now had them which is the only reason I ordered one

14 minutes ago, 119bowhunter said:

I bought a ROF 0 off the Huddleston website last week and I’m 99% sure it had the belly hook hanger, I know it said the ROF 0’s and 5’s now had them which is the only reason I ordered one

Wow! Please update us when you get it in. Would be phenomenal if they brought back the belly hanger. I know they stopped making them for some odd reason. Particularly on the ROF 0.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

I have had success fishing a hudd at night.  I crawl it on the bottom just like I would fish it during the day.  I usually buy a ROF 0 and nail weight it to get the ROF I want.  You really have to go out there and try it.  What works for you won’t work necessarily for the next.  

7F3FF9A1-C856-4D32-B452-C27DC75CD896.jpeg

Edited by Luke1046

5 minutes ago, Luke1046 said:

I have had success fishing a hudd at night.  I crawl it on the bottom just like I would fish it during the day.  I usually buy a ROF 0 and nail weight it to get the ROF I want.  You really have to go out there and try it.  What works for you won’t work necessarily for the next.  

7F3FF9A1-C856-4D32-B452-C27DC75CD896.jpeg

Nice! 
Yea I am well aware of the old adage, what’s works for one may not work for another. Just doing a bit a research during the day so to speak. Definitely going to give it a shot this season and see how I fare with it myself. Particularly as the waters are still on the cool side, but warming up slowly. 
But it’s great to see some of the options and in your case, positive results. 

3 hours ago, 119bowhunter said:

Just now, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

they are no longer made with the bottom hook hanger so most likely a older outdated picture. They said it killed too many fish.