Reels (all members)

Hchapa09

So for swimbait what type of reel do y'all prefer? For Example a low profile reels or a daiwa luna which looks bulkier than a low profile?

i use a abu garcia toro revo winch 61 its a lo-pro and much larger than my other lo-pro reels, and the winch model has a low gearing good for pullin in baits slow , 20# drag and it has a large handle. i like it for my large baits, but i dont hear guys talk much about this reel on this forum---i really like this reel

I use both, depending on the situation. For really large baits, I feel more comfortable with a round reel. They just seem sturdier. A Calcutta TE is like a freakin' winch. Also, some of the Shimano round reels are designed so they sit low in the reel seat and are not really much higher than a low pro.

All things equal, a low pro is a bit more comfortable to use overall, so I favor them for baits under 6-7 oz. I love my Lexa 300.

IMHO, for everything except the heaviest baits, it just comes down to your subjective preference.

@riffmiester and @topramen

I like the low profile but for bigger baits I might consider using bigger reel if I feel comfortable with it. I guess it just comes down to what I feel comfortable with. Thanks for y'all's response. Really do appreciate all the help and tips people get on this forum. I find it more helpful here than going into a tackle shop where the people try to force someone into something they aren't really looking for.

I prefer a 300/400 round reel(Shimano Calcutta D) when chucking big expensive baits - 6-10oz on 30# mono or anytime I need extra line capacity.

all baits under that weight range I throw with a 200/300 low profile reel(Daiwa Z2020 & Daiwa Lexa) spooled with 20 or 25# mono.

Lexa 300 is a steal and be found for about 150 on eBay and feels great in the hand and fishes baits to 13 oz. I fish low pro reels expect the pluton which has the a recessed reel seat making if feel closer to a low pro.

+1 on the lexa 300. Can't really beat them for the price. I fish both low pro and round for different size/speed on baits.

Definitely a 300 or 400 Calcutta TE. No questions asked the best reel I have owned. I have the revo toro winch and its good. Also just picked up a lexa 300. I have had my 400 te for about 5 years and it still works like it was new. Put a power handle on it and you couls hook onto a tree trunk and pull it in or if a jet skier is getting a little too close you can try to snag him so you can reel him in a beat the s#$% out of him.