Reels (all members)

Hchapa09

Guys, do you really need a low speed reel for big swimbaits? I fish mainly 3-6oz baits right now. Both reels i want to use are low pro and don't come in any 5 ratio retrieves. I can also get a killer deal on two right now. Could i just use a 7.3:1? Would 6.3:1 be a whole lot better? Thanks

IMO, it's easier to fish a fast reel slow than to try and fish a slow reel fast. The gear quality is what I'd be more concerned with. If they are quality materials, the ratio shouldn't be as big of a concern. Others will probably disagree though.

IMO, it's easier to fish a fast reel slow than to try and fish a slow reel fast. The gear quality is what I'd be more concerned with. If they are quality materials, the ratio shouldn't be as big of a concern. Others will probably disagree though.

That's what I've always thought but most disagree i know. Read a huge write-up of how slowing a fast reel down doesn't maintain a smooth, constant line intake and ruins the lures action. I don't own anything lower then a 7.3:1 right now.

The age old argument

I fish from 4.8:1 to 7.6:1 on swimbaits and as fast as 9.0:1 on my frog setup

Early swimbaiting only had low speed reels..lots of baits like hudds and early jointed baits were built testing with 5ish:1 ratios

If your into the JDM scene Lots of those baits like Roman's, Gancraft, jackall and such are built and tested using reels over 7:1

Your best bet is to research the bait..3:16 recommends certain speeds for baits, hinkle might idk..

I fish faster but I don't live in a place where the water freezes and the fish aren't ever that sluggish

Good luck

Edited by BigSlant

i use a abu garcia toro revo winch 61 its a lo-pro and much larger than my other lo-pro reels, and the winch model has a low gearing good for pullin in baits slow , 20# drag and it has a large handle. i like it for my large baits, but i dont hear guys talk much about this reel on this forum---i really like this reel

I have a 60 and two 50's great reel for deep crankin. I wish ABU still made the winch.

I use Winches on the low ratio end and have a WM60 and Big Shooter for the High speed end.  The winch excels at cranking down big lipped diving baits as it greatly reduce fatigue pulling these baits which have a lot of drag through the water.  The high speed reels i use for glide baits and on my Hudd set up. I use them on the glides for the simple fact that the glide comes thru the water easy and on the hudd setup so I can reel up slack quick pre hookset. On a side note it sucks ABU stopped making the winch.

Agreed..I have a few gens in a few sizes and love em

I'm confused.  What winch are you guys referring to? The gen 3 winch and orra winch are on sale at TW right now.  I have an older winch.  (Agreed great reel)  What is the difference?

I'm confused. What winch are you guys referring to? The gen 3 winch and orra winch are on sale at TW right now. I have an older winch. (Agreed great reel) What is the difference?

Gen 1 and toro winch

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarevowinch.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast09reelsabugarcia.html

• 1 month later...

I'm an OLD green Shimano Bantam guy.... have (3) 6:2.1 and (2) 5:1... heaviest bait I toss is 4 oz so I can get away with the small stuff. 

For the bigger stuff (hudd 68, 8inch hudds) I was very very lucky to find a LEFTY lexa300 5:1.1 years ago

I've always used Shimano Curado 301 , these reels have always performed well. Picked up one of the new Tranx reels and so far so good, cast well and handled  a hard pulling 40" Pike for me that bulldogged into a deep weedbed and did a great job helping me get it out with an assist from my Dobyn's rod .

Edited by Primus