Irod Genesis 3 Swimbait Rods VS Irod Kaimana Coastal Rods

DEPS_250

Gen3 guides are def small. That why I had the Sniper Swim mad with larger guides for braid to leader applications. That being said the Poes mag stick is great for braid to leader. Tops out at 4oz for glide style baits imo. 3oz lipped baits is where I draw the line for the kaimana 794 due to the added resistance on retrieve. The 804 mod fast kaimana is also nice but a bit larger and clunky for 2-3oz baits imo. 

23 hours ago, SwingAway said:

@Ceaser curious what your thoughts are on the genesis 3 jr. Swim and large swim for your baits? Have you used them?

Jr swims works for the small stuff I make and the large swim works just fine for the larger baits. I think the gen3 series is the best deal around. Great performance for a pretty good deal. Rod choice does come down a lot to personal preference but I’m happy with all the rods I’ve used from that line of Irods

On 5/1/2023 at 11:17 PM, DEPS_250 said:

Was also looking at the Dobyns Fury 795 swimbait rod too.

Does anyone know if the Dobyns Fury 795 can handle 3-4oz comfortably? I have heard that 1-3oz is its wheel house and anything north of 3oz was kind of pushing it. I need some confirmation from others here who have experience with the Fury 795. Also, is the action soft and parabolic enough for treble hook hard baits? Its rated as a fast but since the rod is sold at a lower price point, I figured the graphite should be a lower modulus/grade and the action would probably be more slow and moderate and still work for treble hook baits. 

I own 3 Dobyns 795 Champion rods , can't comment from  personal experience on the Fury but I assume it would be similar . I usually use it for baits in the 2-4 oz range . I personally think it is too much rod for my most baits under 2 oz like a RTS S Waiver 168 as an example.  One of the rods is set up with mono for topwater baits . The second is thrown with 20 lb floro which is the one that gets the most use , primarily with subsurface treble hook lures like glide baits , hardgills , triple trouts etc . Even though it's rated as " fast " , in my opinion it's more of a moderate fast. This is why I have a third set-up which is a braid to leader combo , this is what I use for weedles Hudd 68's or 6" - 7" soft swimbaits with a beast hook . 

On 5/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, Ceaser said:

Gen3 guides are def small. That why I had the Sniper Swim mad with larger guides for braid to leader applications. That being said the Poes mag stick is great for braid to leader. Tops out at 4oz for glide style baits imo. 3oz lipped baits is where I draw the line for the kaimana 794 due to the added resistance on retrieve. The 804 mod fast kaimana is also nice but a bit larger and clunky for 2-3oz baits imo. 

@Ceaser What is the heaviest bait you will usually fish on the Kaimana 794? Which glide baits have you thrown on the Kaimana 794?

Edited by DEPS_250

On 4/30/2023 at 12:17 PM, LowSpinner said:

Poes Mag is a staple in my arsenal, I throw up 3.5 oz baits on mine with zero issues. Glides, wakes and crankdowns. 

Anything larger than that, I'm usually grabbing my Gen III sniper swim or in the Kaimana line my 804MH M or 804MH.

8 ft offerings with the same Fuji slanted K guides as Poes Mag. 

Both rated 2oz - 6oz but will handle more just like their smaller brethren. 

There is a 3rd one, 805H, rated 2oz - 6oz but from my understanding is a beast. 

Just bought the 804 mh m at 40% off. Can you throw citizens and battleshads or is it to parabolic?

8 minutes ago, Efrain said:

Just bought the 804 mh m at 40% off. Can you throw citizens and battleshads or is it to parabolic?

I've only thrown treble hook baits on it considering it's pretty parabolic. She bends pretty deep into the blank, which I'm sure you've seen already. I tend to stick to my 804 MH Fast for single hook baits.

That's a steal for 40% off..  

Edited by LowSpinner

2 hours ago, LowSpinner said:

I've only thrown treble hook baits on it considering it's pretty parabolic. She bends pretty deep into the blank, which I'm sure you've seen already. I tend to stick to my 804 MH Fast for single hook baits.

That's a steal for 40% off..  

Thanks, guess i got a new k9 rod.

41 minutes ago, Efrain said:

Thanks, guess i got a new k9 rod.

Give it a try.

Although it might not be optimum, you're talking about throwing plastics in the mid range of the rating of that rod.

There is plenty of backbone in it, take it out and swing on one.

23 hours ago, LowSpinner said:

Give it a try.

Although it might not be optimum, you're talking about throwing plastics in the mid range of the rating of that rod.

There is plenty of backbone in it, take it out and swing on one.

Launches the kp with ease. What do you throw on it? Thanks

On 5/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, DEPS_250 said:

@Ceaser What is the heaviest bait you will usually fish on the Kaimana 794? Which glide baits have you thrown on the Kaimana 794?

K9 fishes well in glide mode on it.