Biggest Fish of My Life

CG_Fishes

I was convinced by some friends to gout out fishing for 2 hours last night after getting some work done. I decided that being that it was finally Esox season that I would target pike and tigers while they fished for bass.

I put my trusting 8" magdraft on, a bait I had never caught a bass on, but had caugt many pike/tigers on. 

We got to the first spot where we have been slamming bass and nothing, the fish were non-existent, the cold weather (40s) seemed to shut them off or push them out. 

We decided to go to the sewage treatment plant outflow as we knew it would have the warmest water on the lake. Turns out we were right and we were immediately into fish. Although I was targetting Esox I caught some super solid bass including my first over 6 in 4 years (See got'em section).

We fished around for a while, catching here and there until we were about to leave and pulled off a little bit. I tossed into the tailwaters of the flow and got slammed. I knew immediately that strike was Esox and it was confirmed when the fish came up to roll and subsequently jump. Fighting the fish in the heavy current proved to be tough and took some careful play. I saw she had swallowed the bait and so I played cautious even with my 60lb mono leader. 

We got the fish in the boat, took some pictures and measured the fish with a piece of line (I forgot my board at home in the rush). Got home at measured the cut section of line. 41", my PB tiger and biggest fish I have ever caught. The stoke was real. What a beautiful fish!

Snapchat-1694987679.thumb.jpg.46ea16abd661823436890214b47d6e71.jpg

Snapchat-1101349825.thumb.jpg.a504a88426807d5ac9c74ba30d531766.jpg

IMG_5373.thumb.jpg.1dfa88e3e169afba16f94d93368167f1.jpg

Snapchat-1297447222.thumb.jpg.5e4addd723e852497ecd2c531fea6322.jpg

What a way to officially start the Esox season, I'm only here for another 10 days but I'm hoping to find a few more before I leave!

10 minutes ago, justintrask said:

Hell yeah, nice fish and awesome patterns! They used to stock my home reservoir with tiger musky wayyyyy back in the day, but that was a long time ago and I think they're long long long gone out of that body of water at this point.

This body of water isn't even stoked, just overflow from other lakes/rivers that end up here. Somehow it has a really solid population of big fish though

5 minutes ago, Bud95 said:

The Magdraft assassin strikes again. Congrats!

It's gotta be my signature bait at this point! I always have one tied on!