Strangest thing's you've came across while fishing?

colbypearson

Was fishing a couple weeks ago at my local pond when my buddy say "dude look" and points up to the sky. I look and there is a blue object that breaks apart in the sky. After breaking up, the larger part keeps moving on across the sky as the smaller parts dissipate in the atmosphere. Probably an asteroid of satellite but at 11 o'clock at night, you get pretty sketched out.

• 1 month later...

My buddy and I were fishing at a city park lake and some meth head was talking to us and he told us he has caught multiple dd bass on powerbait :lol: we just sat there and agreed with everything he said lol he also said that the lake was all dirty because someone was fishing for catfish????? We were just nodding and agreeing with what he was saying lol. Then we stared to walk away and he pulled out a pellet gun and started shooting coots. We weren't sure if we should laugh or be scared lol so we just left that area. Then we saw a big goose. Probably 4+ feet tall. Huge. I tell my buddy to chase it and grab it by the neck. (Obviously joking) and he says he will just chase it and when he did it tried to attack him :lol: luckily he runs fast and was able to get away

I was fishing a wednesday night tournament on my local lake around a bridge when I saw this old car make its way down the road and pull underneath the bridge. I see a dark-skinned man hop out and head over to the passenger side where a young white girl, probably in her twenties, swings the door open. He hands her a little baggie filled with what I would assume to be some sort of drugs and she starts paying with some "special services". I knew this bank was holding some fish so i just continued to fish on the opposite side. Not much longer she heads to the trunk and leans over and he starts going to town. These people have no clue we were there. At this point we are probably 40 yards away from them and I tell my buddy "I'm going to let them know we are here". I honk the horn on my boat and that man didn't even miss a stroke :lol::lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

Few summers ago I was night fishing with my old man and we could hear something crawling around in the woods but just figured it was a squirrel or something. 2 minutes later we hear a giant crack and a 40 foot tree comes smacking down in the water. Landed probably 50 yards from us which was enough to scare the ish out of us. Damn beavers haha

Lol. Beavers can be crazy aggressive too. My buddy was night fishing an old dammed up creek right at sundown when a baby beaver came swimming by very close to him. He tried moving closer to get a picture of it when momma beaver came charging up the bank. Ran him back into the bed of his truck lol

Was out fishing on a cloudy rainy day with a buddy of mine in late fall. There is a popular swim beach on this lake even though it's in a wooded area. As we pull up to our next spot we look over to see a head of a man in the swim area. Keep in mind the water is about 50 degrees, We both look at each other and say "no way is that guy swimming on a shitty cold day like today" so we watch him and all of a sudden he goes under water for about 30 seconds and then pops back up at the same spot. We start casting and watch As this guy continues to move around and disappear from time to time for the next hour or 2. Turns out this guy is using a medal detector in about 5 ft of water looking for jewelry or whatever. I found it odd he picked such a bad day and time of the year but who knows!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's 2 stories for yall that yall should get a kick out of to say the least

It's early spring and around lunchtime I decide I want to go fishing for trophy catfish and alligator gar, so I go down behind the apartment to a little creek that is usually chalk full of shad and bluegills carp bass crappie ect it's actually a small feeder creek of the trinity river so I take my throw net and start working the areas that are almost always known to hold some good bait... Well after 3 spots I had 2 gills so I proceed to some deeper holes with more moving water behind the baseball field at a local high school no big deal have fished here countless times never anything interesting outside of some Coyotes or turkeys seen along the trail ect well I get to the moving water and mid throw of the cast net I happen to look up on the other shore and see some bare asses getting at it obviously high school kids or so it seemed packed up the net and said screw it and headed home laughing about the whole ordeal

Now this one was quite a bit different, there's a section of the brazos river that produces some really large flatheads and I frequent this area fairly often when I have the time ect, well after tossing the lines out and getting settled at this old sawmill dam I put my hand on what was supposed to be concrete mind you it's dark and only 1 lantern is on this evening, well it wasn't concrete I had a solid tuft of fur needless to say my heart stopped and I all but crapped a golden brick, I just knew my hand was about to be chewed off ect as I've seen Bobcats beavers Coyotes and countless coons and possums in this area... So I start moving very very slowly to avoid any sudden attack or reaction and apparantly the neighbors of the area had gotten a German Shepard and she was around 9mo to a year old I would guess just as playful as could be but that's certainly not what I was expecting

Here's 2 stories for yall that yall should get a kick out of to say the least

It's early spring and around lunchtime I decide I want to go fishing for trophy catfish and alligator gar, so I go down behind the apartment to a little creek that is usually chalk full of shad and bluegills carp bass crappie ect it's actually a small feeder creek of the trinity river so I take my throw net and start working the areas that are almost always known to hold some good bait... Well after 3 spots I had 2 gills so I proceed to some deeper holes with more moving water behind the baseball field at a local high school no big deal have fished here countless times never anything interesting outside of some Coyotes or turkeys seen along the trail ect well I get to the moving water and mid throw of the cast net I happen to look up on the other shore and see some bare asses getting at it obviously high school kids or so it seemed packed up the net and said screw it and headed home laughing about the whole ordeal

Now this one was quite a bit different, there's a section of the brazos river that produces some really large flatheads and I frequent this area fairly often when I have the time ect, well after tossing the lines out and getting settled at this old sawmill dam I put my hand on what was supposed to be concrete mind you it's dark and only 1 lantern is on this evening, well it wasn't concrete I had a solid tuft of fur needless to say my heart stopped and I all but crapped a golden brick, I just knew my hand was about to be chewed off ect as I've seen Bobcats beavers Coyotes and countless coons and possums in this area... So I start moving very very slowly to avoid any sudden attack or reaction and apparantly the neighbors of the area had gotten a German Shepard and she was around 9mo to a year old I would guess just as playful as could be but that's certainly not what I was expecting

I gotta say the story of the German Shepard freaked me out a bit! I mean, I love dogs and all but for it to be dark and and I set my hand on something large and furry could give somebody a heart attack

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was fishing a local river this spring, just from the bank, when I didn't see, but heard quite a disturbance. There were 4 or 5 Mexican guys underneath a bridge fishing for catfish I assume, I waved to them and headed down the bank to start fishing. Before I got to the bridge I saw one of the homeless guys who I often see, I'm pretty sure his name is Chris. Now let me tell you, Chris is one strange dude, you can regularly see him walking down the highway, in camo shorts and a camo shirt, big leather boots, with his hair tied in pigtails, with a pacifier in his mouth.

About 5 minutes after I had passed underneath the bridge I hear Chris screaming his head off, I assume at those guys who were cat fishing. I was too far away to understand what he was saying, and who knows why he was mad, but that dude was pissed. Needless to say I headed out after that, and didn't see anyone under the bridge when I walked by. I make sure to stay in a kayak when I fish there now.

• 1 month later...

Since this thread is timeless....

When I'm not throwing baits at fish, I suit up and go in after them. Freedive spearing, observing fish naturally in their environment will totally up your fishing iq but is definitely not a sport for the faint of heart.

Visibility in the water can range from an epic 25-30 feet but in norcal 10-12 is good, 7-10 is normal and some days you can barely see the end of your own arm. So you're in the food chain, masks limit all peripheral vision and you can only see in front of you a few feet.

I was on a dive in carmel, vis was about 8-10', a moderate swell was pumping but the fish were out cruising around. I had a decent stringer going and needed to return to my kayak to dump some of the fish into my tankwell (i keep a stringer for fish i shoot on my dive belt but they create a ton of drag and get caught in the kelp easily, theyre also referred to the hula skirt of death because you have semi dead chum hangin around your waist lol). It was a long surface swim back to the yak through open water. If you have an active imagination the scene looks like a very large wake bait. Halfway back i see about a 10' silhouette shoot beneath me and slip away into the murk. I got buzzed 2 more times, both times it was just beyond the edge of visibility and coming up from behind, so it was trailing me. Decided to stop surface swimming and drop to the bottom for a few up and down dives to try to figure out what was stalking me. Nothing, all the creepy shadows stopped so i beelined it back to my yak. Boarded in record time, while i finally get a chance to relax topside my yak got bumped with a huge splash and a huge freakin bull sealion popped up a few feet away. Sob was barkin up a storm and getting more aggressive so i found my buddy and we moved spots. Theres definitely been a couple more times when Ive been out and things get eerie, like fish are suddenly holed up and everything gets quiet and calm....i usually just get out of there when i feel like im being stalked, better safe than sorry lol.

Have a few friends thatve been buzzed by white sharks. One was forced to sit on an offshore wash rock for a couple hours before he built up the nerve to get back in the water to swim to his kayak. Another was in about 50' of water over a boulder field, when he surfaced he said he felt like a wave broke over the top of his head and he got a little disoriented. His buddies were watching him from the top of a cliff and witnessed the whole thing, a big white was surfacing on him but turned last second and the big wave that broke was the shark breaching the surface. He had no idea what happened so he kept diving, his buds eventually got down to him and got him out of the water. Know about 3-4 others that have been knocked out of there kayaks by white sharks while kayakfishing, creepy stuff.

I was fortunate enough to catch the strangest things Ive seen on video. I was off monterey diving some local kelp beds. Right after we anchor up my buddy got in and started whooping about seeing a billfish in the water. I thought he was crazy, seeing things, no way something like that would be in the cold nearshore water. So I jump in and sure enough, its a freakin broadbill swordfish cruising through the kelp. Its equivalent to seeing an elephant in your local park, just not supposed to happen.

https://youtu.be/6YU_h-DiQ0U