Need Kayak Tips/Help/Advice

Darth Baiter

Hey SU,

Im pretty seriously considering getting a Kayak now for my fishing , here are my "Needs" when it comes to what im looking for and some questions I have

1. Need something for a big guy (not tall, just heavy..LOL) , 260+ 

2. Will be fishing small and big lakes, with maybe a possible trip or two to the ocean or lagoon.

3. Would like something made for fishing, I would love a Hobie , but I think most of the ones I like are out of my price range -$ 2000-3500

4. Want the rod holders to be horizontal and carry at least 5-6 rods. Rod holders you can buy to add on are ok too.

5. Dont have a car with a roof rack, so any advice on how to carry it would be greatly appreciated.

6. What Yak do you have if it has any of these things I mentioned?

7. What are some must haves for your Yak?

8. What Swimbait sticks are you using, or are you using other rods to throw your big baits?

9. Im also considering the Hobie Itrek 11 Inflatable. If anybody has this one or any other inflatables, how do you rig it?

I look forward to your comments and answers, thank you guys!

Edited by Darth Baiter

I have a oldtown sportsman pdl 120. 12 feet long and 36 inch width is plenty of stability for you. I'm not a small dude either. Runs about $2200 now I think. Had it for three seasons now and love it more every year. I personally wouldn't recommend horizontal rod storage, but I know there are options out there for it. I personally love my yakattack black box with rod holders. Also, oldtown has a lifetime warranty on the hull which is awesome. As for rods, I only use irod on the yak because their handles are relatively shorter which makes life alot easier on a yak. No matter what you end up going with, I'm sure you'll love the freedom throwing big baits from a yak gives you! Good luck

Edited by SwingAway

Just now, SwingAway said:

I have a oldtown sportsman pdl 120. 12 feet long and 36 inch width is plenty of stability for you. I'm not a small dude either. Runs about $2200 now I think. Had it for three seasons now and love it more every year. I personally wouldn't recommend horizontal rid storage, but I know there are options out there for it. I personally love my yakattack black box with rod holders. Also, oldtown has a lifetime warranty on the hull which is awesome. As for rods, I only use itod on yhe yak because their handles are relatively shorter which makes life alot easier on a yak. No matter what you end up going with, I'm sure you'll love the freedom throwing big baits from a yak gives you! Good luck

Thank you, I actually have been considering a couple of the Oldtown yaks, that gives me some hope! 

I just got a NuCanoe Unlimited a few months back and it is the PERFECT boat for me.  I’m 6’4” 220 and I can WALK from end to end on that thing and fish to my heart’s content.  I’ve also purchased another seat for it and myself, my wife, and my youngest son (6 yr old on a cooler in the middle) paddled around and the boat handled it like it was nothing.  Being a tall and extraordinarily clumsy guy, I had all but given up the idea of standing and fishing from a kayak, but I literally spend more time standing than sitting in this thing.  I have an extra long paddle and I cruise around like I’m on a big stand-up paddle board.  I fish my full-size Leviathan rods from the boat with no issues.  The kayak has a ridiculous amount of rails going from end to end and I purchased rail mounted horizontal rod stagers to go on either side of me to free up the deck.  One of the cool things about the Unlimited is the ability to adjust just about everything about it.  Want to add a trolling motor?  No problem, they have a kit for that on the front.  Want to add an electric outboard?  How about a small GAS outboard?  Peddle drive?  Not problem.  They have all of that covered.  Or…if you’re like me and just want to paddle around in paper thin water, this behemoth of a boat paddles surprisingly well!  It does take a bit more initial effort to get started going, but once going, it glides effortlessly and tracks extremely well.  I can’t say enough good things about it!

I fished out of a Titan 10.5 for a long time before buying my boat, and that thing was a fishing machine. Super stable and tough as nails. It’s heavy, and even though I’m a strong dude there was no way I was going to get that thing on and off of my Jeep…I bought a kayak trailer and if you have the space it makes life a lot easier. Yakima makes great ones but they’re expensive. With the trailer you also can’t really just go park wherever and throw the kayak in the water…gotta find a place with trailer parking, so some lakes or launches won’t work because of that. 

Everyone is tempted by inflatables. My first watercraft was an 8’ inflatable whitewater raft because it was the only thing I had space for. They come with a lot of sacrifices (stability, durability, etc). If this is your only option to get on the water then yeah it’s 100% better than shorebanging but it’s nowhere near what you’ll get with a rotomolded kayak. 

BEWARE OF BOATERS! They might not see you or are just asses. I have first hand experience unfortunately. Always wear your pfd, it just not worth it to risk it. I have a hobie passport 10.5 and it does just fine in my opinion. I put a moving tarp on top of my little hatchback and then ratchet strap the kayak down on top of it. I always put the strap through the handles of the kayak just in case. My biggest complaint is that there’s no reverse on mine so it’s kind of a pain. the kayaks light and easy to handle and pretty darn stable. I got mine of Craigslist for 450 so I’d frequent looking on there for any good deals. Hope that helps and good luck man, kayaking is good fun! 

+1 on a used Hobie PA 14. I’ve had mine since 2015 and it’s perfect for throwing big baits. Got it on a local fishing forum and it’s rigged with sonar, had an inflatable life vest, and all sorts of other goodies. Caught many a fish out of it!

• 1 month later...

Hey SU! Just wanted to give you an update on my Kayak search and I need your help again!

Thanks for all the response you all have given, its really helped! So far , Im down to 3 Kayaks that i am interested in getting:

Old Town MK 106

Old Town 106 PDL

Hobie Itrek 11

Im weighing the pros and cons of getting the MK 106. I think the pro is obviously you dont have to do much for moving around, but the cons are that you only get 6-8 hours of battery life, and it may be less if you have other electronics on there. Im pretty hardcore, I fish from sun up to sundown most of the time. I think a yak would change some of my fishing style though. Either way, eventually I will be adding electronics to my yak. Also still looking for ideas to transport the yak since I do not have a truck. What do you guys think? 

Thanks again for the responses, and if you have any other ideas, let it fly!

I used to have to haul my kayak around on the roof of a Subaru with no roof rack while my truck was out of commission for a bit. Used stuff like this: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-canoe-carrier-kit-18fnsufscnblckktxpsr/18fnsufscnblckktxpsr?sku=18968930&camp=CSE:DSG_92700072972549300_pla_pla-1749939368097_58700008026119464_71700000100235726&segment=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnf-kBhCnARIsAFlg490t62Mms5baYqmsGFBphbnFLLycBWX31tEXMrKdZwELUq7JGDz7elIaAqYDEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get other "noodles" and such to fit your needs. It works in a pinch, but may do some minor damage to your roof.