Toxic mink retrieves

Jerkbait22

I know Cesar suggests 3X hooks for cranking down. I finally got around to fishing mine, wakes nice on a slow retrieve with stock hooks. I got a couple bites on it immediately. I tried cranking down and noticed that it swims well on a slow retrieve but when I go moderate to moderate fast it starts to roll. I’m guessing that’s where the heavier hooks will help stabilize. Just curious how people are fishing theirs, stick with the stock hooks and wake and crank? Then on the crank down just go slow and steady? Or do you go 3X and fish a little faster on the crankdown? 

Wanted to get some feedback before I start experimenting.

I like to wake my rats don't have much luck cranking them under but I never Had a problem trying to crank a stock mink . You sure it's not one of his no ballast minks made too wake ? I noticed they crank easier with the stock tail then say an illude rat tell . Pb on the mink waking late February 

20220223_182947.jpg

22 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

I like to wake my rats don't have much luck cranking them under but I never Had a problem trying to crank a stock mink . You sure it's not one of his no ballast minks made too wake ? I noticed they crank easier with the stock tail then say an illude rat tell . Pb on the mink waking late February 

20220223_182947.jpg

It’s a standard mink as far as I know, I got it on a drop late winter/early spring this year 

1 minute ago, Jerkbait22 said:

It’s a standard mink as far as I know, I got it on a drop late winter/early spring this year 

Could be the hooks then . I got mine a couple years back when he was using st36s now he's using the SU hooks not sure the weights of each but could be worth a try then or just slap some lead on the hooks 

Does your mink tend to swim to its right or to its left? Might just need tuning. 

I don't see how 1x to 3x hooks should affect it if it runs true. It definitely should not roll. I can burn mine hard and it runs true 

14 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Does your mink tend to swim to its right or to its left? Might just need tuning. 

I don't see how 1x to 3x hooks should affect it if it runs true. It definitely should not roll. I can burn mine hard and it runs true 

I was fishing it at sunrise so wasn’t getting a great look from a distance, only near the boat and I eventually took it off because I was getting hits from smallmouth who weren’t getting hooked. I will take it out during the day next time and see. When you say tuning, you would bend the line tie just like you would to a crankbait?

Open water smallies love rats too! My paint job on my mink plus the fat lip on a wake makes it look like it’s rolling a little bit it’s just doing its thing. I like to wake pause wake a little more and then down a drop off crank it hard. These are from today!

7AA97031-6D46-4EDF-AF2E-B18E20C8EE01.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

B8206160-8348-46A6-9614-592C0ED015D9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jerkbait22 said:

I was fishing it at sunrise so wasn’t getting a great look from a distance, only near the boat and I eventually took it off because I was getting hits from smallmouth who weren’t getting hooked. I will take it out during the day next time and see. When you say tuning, you would bend the line tie just like you would to a crankbait?

Yes, bending the line tie. When I first got mine it was very subtle and I only noticed when I burned it did I see it was going to one side. I also used to have a little Johnny rat that would wash out when I sped up and it was tracking to one side also. Quick tune and it was good 

8 minutes ago, Jinxd12 said:

Check out youtube...Cesar did a full breakdown on how he fishes rats. Also fish elite or something like that did a full rat fishing breakdown

Thanks, I’ve seen it and very informative. I was more interested in feedback on the specific issue I mentioned. I may have watched the fish elite one years ago but it’s worth a re watch. 

14 hours ago, Jerkbait22 said:

I know Cesar suggests 3X hooks for cranking down. I finally got around to fishing mine, wakes nice on a slow retrieve with stock hooks. I got a couple bites on it immediately. I tried cranking down and noticed that it swims well on a slow retrieve but when I go moderate to moderate fast it starts to roll. I’m guessing that’s where the heavier hooks will help stabilize. Just curious how people are fishing theirs, stick with the stock hooks and wake and crank? Then on the crank down just go slow and steady? Or do you go 3X and fish a little faster on the crankdown? 

Wanted to get some feedback before I start experimenting.

Added ballast will help but probably won’t solve a sever issue. Line tie could need adjusting but you also may need to reglue the lip. I’ve had baits (from toxic and other builders) where the lip get glued in a bit crooked and on fast retrieves it made for wonky actions. Just work it back and forth to loosen up the glue then I use 2 part epoxy to glue them back in straight.

also not sure how fast you’re actually fishing but generally im only burning it a couple of cranks to get down then you wanna slow down as much as possible to where the Bait is moving just fast enough to stay down and wobble in place, i try to move the bait forward as little as possible if that makes sense

Edited by brootalititties

My most effective one, has st-41's and 3-4 1" golf tape strips on the head section behind the hook hanger. Strictly cranking, it'll basically suspend on the pause