Seagur Abrazx issues

Klashnash

Recently had some issues with Abrazx and was wondering if anyone else has had issues as of late. Decided to try out Abrazx again after my last experiment with it failed, thinking I must have just had a bad spool. All the same issues though as before, casting baits off into the pond, breaking off on fish. Went back to the ole reliable Red Label and haven’t had a single issue since.

I second the Abrazx problems, I would break off on casts and break off on hook sets. I here so many people say they have had great luck and no problems with abrazx but I tried multiple spools and same issues. I ran red label previously, went back to red label and I have had great luck ever since. 

I run invisx as well, or red label for braid leader 

Every new spool of line I get I'll check the breaking strength of, one end to my bench vice handle and the other to a fish scale, see what breaks at 

Had 2 spools of Seagaur in ~10 years now that were breaking at 50-75%, emailed them and they sent me free replacements 

Buy tatsu of a comparable diameter, just bite the bullet. It’s stronger at a given diameter (keep diameter in mind when you get tatsu), has better abrasion resistance as can be shown in tests, is more supple and limber, casts better for that reason, and it just seems to be an overall more durable line from general consensus and available testing. Tatsu is extremely high quality line. 

I am definitely not entirely satisfied with 25# Abraxz for my soft baits based on experiences over the last two seasons. 

I started using 25# Abrazx expecting this heavy of an abrasion-resistant line would NOT break!  Baits being Citizen 7 and BS9.  I have had several breaks on hooksets but the most painful one was early this season when fishing a BS9.  But I'm not sure what else I should try yet .. one idea was to try the 30# shock leader which I have some of. 

Set up is important imo and I use braid to about a 5 or 6 foot abrazx leader for the BS9 on a Dobyns 807 and I do NOT lock down the drag in an attempt to provide some give in the system.  I have slammed a bunch of hooksets and landed fish without breakoffs using this system but I'm wondering why it can fail, and fail at the heavy 25# Abrazx when it does.  Other than the gear and the setup I've wondered was the fish a giant/very heavy and swimming away from me so the line broke when slammed around the fishs' mouth?  Did it get wrapped around some wood?  (Actually both cases I still don't expect this heavy line to fail instantly on a hookset).  Or does the line just vary and suck sometimes?  WTH

The breakoff this year was mid-April and my first big bite for the season and on a BS9.  The 25# Abrazx leader was tied on new being fished for the first time.  Drag not totally locked.  Set the hook and immediate snap about mid-leader-length.  It's a heartbreaker when you get that giant bite you've been grinding for on a big bait like a BS9 and the dang line snaps.  

For soft baits like BS9 - who's having better luck with which line(s) other than 25# Abrazx?  

The only time I’ve broken off a big bait has been on fluorocarbon line with a soft bait.  I was fishing at night this past winter and the bite was so subtle that I didn’t detect it at first.  When I did, I THOUGHT I reeled down the slack, but I wasn’t aware the fish had made quite a run with my Citizen before I knew it.  When I swung, it was painfully obvious that I hadn’t reeled all the way down on the fish and it was a slack line hook set.  I heard the unmistakable CRACK of that line snapping and the fish went nuts because I had jacked the hook into its mouth right as it was breaking….that poor fish was hopping and flopping for the next 30-45 minutes in the dark before I stopped hearing it come up.  I hope it was able to spit that bait and carry on living happily.  All of this happened on 17lb Tatsu line.  I have a very high amount of confidence in that line, I just screwed up.  Your mileage may vary 

On 6/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, jthod said:

Had two breaks on fish throwing A Rigs on 20lb abrazx.

The next week I had two on 25lb CXX.

Back to 50lb braid for this clown.

break offs on CXX? i can barely break off on 12pound i couldnt imagine on 25 pound

1 hour ago, BPayne said:

The only time I’ve broken off a big bait has been on fluorocarbon line with a soft bait.  I was fishing at night this past winter and the bite was so subtle that I didn’t detect it at first.  When I did, I THOUGHT I reeled down the slack, but I wasn’t aware the fish had made quite a run with my Citizen before I knew it.  When I swung, it was painfully obvious that I hadn’t reeled all the way down on the fish and it was a slack line hook set.  I heard the unmistakable CRACK of that line snapping and the fish went nuts because I had jacked the hook into its mouth right as it was breaking….that poor fish was hopping and flopping for the next 30-45 minutes in the dark before I stopped hearing it come up.  I hope it was able to spit that bait and carry on living happily.  All of this happened on 17lb Tatsu line.  I have a very high amount of confidence in that line, I just screwed up.  Your mileage may vary 

Tatsu is incredibly strong and I have the utmost confidence in it, but there’s really only so much you can do with a slack line hookset. I’d say that the only real thing preventing a break off on a slack line hookset is a knot that has multiple wraps or some way to spread out the force because palomars simply do not take slack line sets well, I learned that the hard way. 

If you skip to the part where he tests abrasion resistance abrazx ranks at the very bottom of all the lines tested. 

In this test abrazx again ranks at the bottom in abrasion resistance. 

As for my experiences I fished 20lb abrazx for a season and for a while I had complete confidence in the line. Other than one time when I broke the line trying to lift a big fish up a 10ft wall I didn't have any issues. Until one day this April when I casted off a bait twice in a trip and also broke off a fish in the same trip. Luckily I got the bait back all 3 times but that trip really shook my confidence in that line. Most of the time it seems solid but the times it did break it broke with almost no resistance.