Newbie Stay away!!!

SethB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of them should start reading before asking anything. There's 115 pages with some great info. Start at the back and read to the front and you might learn something. Make them wait three months after joining before they can post so they have a chance to read all the info that is offered before asking something that has been covered. Read what's here get out on the water and do some work.

That's a good idea about starting backwards, don't know about waiting 3 months before posting. In addition to the noobs, I recommend watching Southern Trout Eaters. There's a lot of valuable information in that dvd. Good luck out there and catching some toads!

Well as a newbie, I sort of agree with SethB...to a point. I think there's lot to the theory of "read more, post less" especially for newbies on forums. Don't get me wrong, this is a great site and filled with tons of information but I can see where an experienced swimbaiter would grow tired of the "beginner" posts no matter how valuable they can be to a novice. No amount of reading can replace time on the water but I'd like to offer one addition that I think can make a newbie's time on any body of water that much more successful...find someone with experience and watch them.

I got lucky as Micah lives about 90 minutes from me and has been gracious enough to let me tag along with him to a few of his spots. Had it not been for him putting up with my numerous questions, I might be that new guy posting the types of questions that have birthed this thread.

Fellow newbies, try to find one person to bug with your questions if possible. I can guarantee, you will learn far more in live action and put you that much closer to having a respectable 5lb+ post.....and no, I have yet to land my own respectable 5lb+ to post but that will all change this winter/spring! Good luck to you all and have a great holiday season!

Well as a newbie, I sort of agree with SethB...to a point. I think there's lot to the theory of "read more, post less" especially for newbies on forums. Don't get me wrong, this is a great site and filled with tons of information but I can see where an experienced swimbaiter would grow tired of the "beginner" posts no matter how valuable they can be to a novice. No amount of reading can replace time on the water but I'd like to offer one addition that I think can make a newbie's time on any body of water that much more successful...find someone with experience and watch them.

I got lucky as Micah lives about 90 minutes from me and has been gracious enough to let me tag along with him to a few of his spots. Had it not been for him putting up with my numerous questions, I might be that new guy posting the types of questions that have birthed this thread.

Fellow newbies, try to find one person to bug with your questions if possible. I can guarantee, you will learn far more in live action and put you that much closer to having a respectable 5lb+ post.....and no, I have yet to land my own respectable 5lb+ to post but that will all change this winter/spring! Good luck to you all and have a great holiday season!

I like the part where you say find that one person to bug instead of asking questions. Thanks Travis, Stephen, Chad, and several others! Haha.

Let me tell you, when I first got into swimbaits, there was no one that helped me mostly because there weren't any swimbait guys in AZ, but I asked guys from all over the country for tips and they would give a lot, but those tips only worked for their waters, so I said f#%k it, I'll go out there myself and put in time on my own, trial and error was the only way I figured it out, trial and error is good for young swimbaiters, even before swimbaits, I had to learn everything by myself with no ones help, and I did great and felt great knowing that I did everything on my own and made it out on top. There should be hard working going, not sitting behind a computer and asking questions that can be answered by themselves... Just my $0.02..

lol, I'm one of about 3 in Maryland. We used to have 5, but Trav moved to AZ and Oh Ok moved across the river to Virginia.

Hahahaha!! I wish you would send some this way. Nobody will go swimbaiting with me and my tourney partner thinks I'm a retard :lol:

Im no where near a boss, sit back and see grown men knock down kids is pretty embarrasing on yalls part. Fishing is fun and yall are making it out to be something else.

First off, ain't got a thing to do with age. Grown ass men join this site and ask the same ish that's been answered 100 times.

People complain about the search function not being very effective. Guess what? Sometimes it might take you more than looking at a couple of posts on the first two pages, and longer than 5 minutes. Might have to even search a few different times, using different terms. Search all posts, show results by thread, not by post. Go down the list of results, right click, open link in new tab, and flip through the tabs.

Try this sometime. Go to Google. Say you want to find out what what people think of a Phenix rod. Put this in the search box - phenix rod site:swimbaitunderground.com and see what happens.

Does fishing always have to be fun? Sometimes, a lot of times, it's work. It's frustrating. You can have a lousy day, and go to the lake to take your mind off of that, and just make it worse. Some of us care probably too much, to where it's not healthy. Geek out over details. Spend way too much time on the water.

After I finally joined this site, I kept my mouth shut and just read. I didn't chime in and post about ish I know nothing about. If someone came along wanting to talk about specifically smallmouth, maybe I'd throw my $.02 up, but usually waited until after better sticks than me had posted. When I moved to Texas, and realized all the ish I knew about smallmouth in the Great Lakes, wasn't doing a damn thing for me here and I had to relearn a lot of ish. Guess what? I kept my mouth shut, and read more. I asked a few specific questions, and read some more. I fished a lot. A lot. And maybe I'm starting to figure it out here.

Let me tell you, when I first got into swimbaits, there was no one that helped me mostly because there weren't any swimbait guys in AZ, but I asked guys from all over the country for tips and they would give a lot, but those tips only worked for their waters, so I said f#%k it, I'll go out there myself and put in time on my own, trial and error was the only way I figured it out, trial and error is good for young swimbaiters, even before swimbaits, I had to learn everything by myself with no ones help, and I did great and felt great knowing that I did everything on my own and made it out on top. There should be hard working going, not sitting behind a computer and asking questions that can be answered by themselves... Just my $0.02..

Must have taken awhile to figure out your ponds...

Im no where near a boss, sit back and see grown men knock down kids is pretty embarrasing on yalls part. Fishing is fun and yall are making it out to be something else.

First off, ain't got a thing to do with age. Grown ass men join this site and ask the same ish that's been answered 100 times.

People complain about the search function not being very effective. Guess what? Sometimes it might take you more than looking at a couple of posts on the first two pages, and longer than 5 minutes. Might have to even search a few different times, using different terms. Search all posts, show results by thread, not by post. Go down the list of results, right click, open link in new tab, and flip through the tabs.

Try this sometime. Go to Google. Say you want to find out what what people think of a Phenix rod. Put this in the search box - phenix rod site:swimbaitunderground.com and see what happens.

Does fishing always have to be fun? Sometimes, a lot of times, it's work. It's frustrating. You can have a lousy day, and go to the lake to take your mind off of that, and just make it worse. Some of us care probably too much, to where it's not healthy. Geek out over details. Spend way too much time on the water.

After I finally joined this site, I kept my mouth shut and just read. I didn't chime in and post about ish I know nothing about. If someone came along wanting to talk about specifically smallmouth, maybe I'd throw my $.02 up, but usually waited until after better sticks than me had posted. When I moved to Texas, and realized all the ish I knew about smallmouth in the Great Lakes, wasn't doing a damn thing for me here and I had to relearn a lot of ish. Guess what? I kept my mouth shut, and read more. I asked a few specific questions, and read some more. I fished a lot. A lot. And maybe I'm starting to figure it out here.

I can agree w/ that too. It says "got'em" and when someone post a sub-par fish "someone" has to say something negative. Always, it never fails, and its sad.

Must have taken awhile to figure out your ponds...

It took like 5-6 months to finally stay on a good pattern but yet, I'm still learning them, ish is hard..

Its hard to share info it took years to figure out through trial and error and dedication with someone who hasnt even attempted it. Its like givin up before you even start! It feels to me that alot of the noobs are asking questions like they do because they are new to fishing, not just swimbaits. Im no veteran on swimbaits but ive fished my whole life. If i hadnt learned to fish for bass conventionally i couldnt imagine trying to tackle this swimbait thing as a new bass fisherman. I think the younger kids just starting and people new to the sport should grab a damn dropshot or a ripbait and go pound some fish. There are alot of things to be learned from that style of fishing. Lots of bites, practicing hooksets and feeling the bottom, getting in tune with ur baits. Learning that odd stuff u can only gain thru experience. With swimbaits everything is amplified. Small mistakes can have large negative results. Things like fishing line, where to fish and what to throw can all be answered thru on the water experience. Reading the conditions and banking on previous experience is can only be learned hands on. You can read all the articles in the world and get advice from everyone, but you wont know till u are in the hot seat. Theres no short cuts, its expensive most of the time, takes a long time to learn, it can make u pull ur hair out and wanna quit but thats just fishing. Its always gonna be a grind and time on the water is the only way to get better. Call me a dick or whatever, but its true. Get out and do it. Id fish with string wrapped around a coke bottle and no rod if i had to. Get the best gear u can afford and hit the water. Guys who have done all that, invested their time and efforts into this crap prob arent trying to just hand all that golden info out to someoe who doesnt want to do minimal leg work of line and tackle choices. Well thats my opinion at least

⬆ï¸â¬†ï¸â¬†ï¸ this⬆ï¸â¬†ï¸â¬†ï¸

I would love to have someone to watch and get on the water with throwing big baits. Problem is, I believe I am probably the only person in the state of Maine who even throws big baits :lol:

Haha I know the feeling. The comments like "there are no muskies in this lake" and dumb looks from people seem to never get old. Even good friends who have seen me catch lots of fish on swimbaits can't seem to grasp the concept. There is hope though, one bud is starting to play around with the smaller gill baits