Paddle board for fishing?

Chaozu

I’m a shore banger looking to be able to get to more water and have been very curious about fishing from a paddle board. I’ve seen a bunch of the homeless fisherman’s videos and that got me really pumped about exploring this option further. Problem is I know nothing about paddle boards and have only used them twice. I was wondering if any of you guys fish from a paddle board and if you had any suggestions on what to look for. Obviously stability is a top priority and also having tie downs for gear. I’m looking at inflatable boards and something not too ridiculously priced. Any suggestions or help is much appreciated!

I've fished off a rental paddle board a few times. So my experience is incredibly limited. I'd look into the SUP Angler on youtube or facebook and check out what hes got going on.

https://www.glidesup.com/products/02-angler also this doesn't look half bad. 

If you’re on IG ask the homeless fisherman, dude pretty much exclusively fishes off paddleboards and is super chill with sharing info, sure he’d point you in the right direction 

you could probably just look thru his post and find out brand he’s using and do your research that way. 

Not sure what it is about paddleboards but everyone seems to have to paint their fingernails to use one. 

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

If you’re on IG ask the homeless fisherman, dude pretty much exclusively fishes off paddleboards and is super chill with sharing info, sure he’d point you in the right direction 

you could probably just look thru his post and find out brand he’s using and do your research that way. 

Not sure what it is about paddleboards but everyone seems to have to paint their fingernails to use one. 

Lol…. I ain’t painting my fingernails I promise you that!

Never fished off them but played around with a couple inflatable ones while visiting family in Hawaii. Can be hit or miss regarding stability but get the widest board you can afford for that stability and storage space in that you can keep your gear as far away from the board edge. If your intention is to fish standing up, one big drawback is that you will be at the mercy of the wind since your body will act like a sail. Happens in a kayak but definitely not as impactful. Between a yak vs paddleboard, I'd pick a yak because you can still standup and fish in one.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. The problem with the yak is storage and transporting it. The inflatable paddle board is doable for me. I have a pontoon kick boat but again it’s a pain to transport and set up and only used it a handful of times because of that reason. Watching the homeless fisherman smack all this fish from his paddle board really got me thinking it’s a good option for where I fish. 

My buddy runs a pair of walmart sups and we've had spectacular fishing on them. Not rigged up for fishing or anything, just a sturdy platform to fish off of. I've been ogling the NRS Kuda since we can stock those at work and they're just sick paddleboards all in all.

SUP fishing is a ton of fun in warmer water and weather. You'll get to see tons of life and stuff in the water that you'd otherwise miss being seated in a yak. Inflatable SUPs are awesome for floating down rivers when you can get off and just wade fish some good spots. As others have mentioned, a real drawback is how you get blown around in the wind. And you've got to put down the rod to paddle yourself back into position. 

8 minutes ago, 5-20 said:

SUP fishing is a ton of fun in warmer water and weather. You'll get to see tons of life and stuff in the water that you'd otherwise miss being seated in a yak. Inflatable SUPs are awesome for floating down rivers when you can get off and just wade fish some good spots. As others have mentioned, a real drawback is how you get blown around in the wind. And you've got to put down the rod to paddle yourself back into position. 

Ive loved SUP fishing since 07, back then I was heavy into fly fishing for bay bass and it was a great platform for that compared to most of the kayaks back then that werent standable. 

Fishing around million dollar yachts you learn how to maneuver with one hand on the paddle while holding a rod in the other.  Best I can describe without showing is: hold it about where you normally would on the shaft, but you reach over the top instead of the normal paddle grip, and kinda wrap your arm around it and the handle side will end up behind your neck. 

When it came to really paddling spot to spot, at first i used a clip on sling and would sling my rod on my back (not recommended if fishing treble hook baits), but then figured out how to use a RAM mount in the handle slot in the Boards. 

I forgot to add one more thing. With inflatables, the more PSI the board is rated for, the more stiff and stable it will probably be. Some of those NRS boards are rated for 20 PSI which is well above what most other boards are rated for.

The inflatable Isle Sportsman I had for a while (discontinued now I think) was awesome. I needed to bounce and drag it over a bunch of rocks on a 10 mile river float trip and it didn't look like it sustained any damage at all. No scratches or marring at all. 

I was made an offer that I couldn’t refuse so I ended up getting this! I just wanted to look around but $300 out the door is a win for sure! Not gonna deck it out too crazy just maybe a small ice chest and a way to hold a few rods. I’m stoked! 

02DBC75E-8BEB-4371-9FEB-B0D24076D256.jpeg

One of the smaller engel dry box/coolers should make an awesome tackle box/storage unit. Nice thing about those Engel dry boxes is they've got anchor points on the sides of the cooler and they're built really well. 

5 hours ago, Chaozu said:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. The problem with the yak is storage and transporting it. The inflatable paddle board is doable for me. I have a pontoon kick boat but again it’s a pain to transport and set up and only used it a handful of times because of that reason. Watching the homeless fisherman smack all this fish from his paddle board really got me thinking it’s a good option for where I fish. 

I was just going to suggest a pontoon kick boat (that's what I've been using for a long time) but yeah, the ones with frames do require some setup and take-down time or you need a good way to store and transport it.  You might want to take a look at the various frameless offerings from Outcast Boats. Some of those like the Fish Cat Scout or the OSG Stealth Pro might work nicely.

Besides with a pontoon, you only have to use stick-on nail coverings.