The quest for the perfect soft bait rod

Klashnash

What’s up Su, in search for a great soft bait rod and im kinda conflicted right now. 

For background this has been an ongoing quest for the past 8 months. My first rod was a 795 which was well way too parabolic. I decided to get a St Croix victory and had some terrible experiences with it. then got a Sniper Swim but it just felt a tad bit to parabolic. Just a cycle of rod after rod and none feeling right.

I’ve seen a lot of praise for the dobyns 807 but am worried it might be a little too much rod considering all I’m throwing is the 6 inch baits. I’d love to get a LDC but it’s currently out of my price range at the moment. Also I’m intrigued by the Okuma Guide Select custom black as well but haven’t seen too many reviews on it. 

Just looking for your guys input and hopefully I can finally find the right rod.

The soft bait rod I’ve had the most success with is the St. Croix LBC710HF swimbait rod. Really light and sensitive in the hand, with enough flex to keep fish pinned and enough back bone to punch hooks home. 
That said, it’s not “perfect” perfect and I’ve been considering getting a rod built on a NFC X-ray blank for some added sensitivity and a custom sized rod handle. 

if you're talking about a champion 807 they're like $270 and the LDC is gonna run you $350 so the price difference isn't quite as drastic in those terms.  I know you said it's out, but if i was only able to leave the house with one single rod for soft baits it would absolutely 100% be a LDC Heavy White Label.  it's the most versatile rod in that whole lineup it will set the hook but also just enough flex to keep them pinned.

On 7/31/2023 at 6:49 AM, Klashnash said:

Have any recommendations?

He’s not always doing custom orders, but you might reach out to Justin at Nameless Customs. You can find him in Instagram the easiest. I’ve gone to him a number of times and I’ve been really happy with the product. 

4 hours ago, Bsampson said:

He’s not always doing custom orders, but you might reach out to Justin at Nameless Customs. You can find him in Instagram the easiest. I’ve gone to him a number of times and I’ve been really happy with the product. 

2nd that - I have 7 custom rods from Justin so that speaks for it self.