now I want a kayak

OnlySwimbaits

I want a kayak. For those who have one or know about them whats the one to get? The peddle models seem cool because you can hold your position in a current or troll along, but what do i know? I cant afford a bass boat but I dont mind taking my time to trick out a kayak! 

what kayaks should i look at?

thanks all

4 minutes ago, OnlySwimbaits said:

I want a kayak. For those who have one or know about them whats the one to get? The peddle models seem cool because you can hold your position in a current or troll along, but what do i know? I cant afford a bass boat but I dont mind taking my time to trick out a kayak! 

what kayaks should i look at?

thanks all

What sort of budget you working with?

I’m a huge fan of my Hobie Pro Angler 14 with the 180 drive. If I get a new one I’d get the new version with the 360 drive. If you buy brand new then all in costs for a 14 with a good amount of accessories you can quickly get past $5k. 

My favorite parts of my PA-14 are:

- it’s very wide and stable. I stand while fishing a good amount of the time. 
- plenty of storage for big baits and other things

-180 drive is sweet, i use it all the time. 
- while Hobie prices are nuts for accessories, they do have some cool stuff. 
- I fish saltwater on occasion and it’s very capable in rough water.

If you just want to “dip your toes” in and get off the bank, the Lifetime Tamarack is a good value (<$300). I have one and love it for the money. I typically fish smaller waters though and pack light.

Larger pedal drive kayaks would be a lot more ideal for fishing lakes and such where you need to cover a lot of water.

If you’re planning on running a trolling motor then the pedal drive is a bit redundant, but personally I wish I woulda just sprung for the pedal drive cause holding your position in the yak is &quot;not allowed&quot; lame and the main thing that keeps me from fishing out of it more often. Trolling motor requires me to register it as a boat so I’ve avoided it for now.

Three years in and couldn't be happier with my old town 120 pdl. Very upgradeable, but pretty much all you need stock. Lifetime hull warranty and 5 year pedaldrive warranty. Very stable, functional, and comfortable. No regrets and I'd highly recommend.

i know its on the upper end of the spectrum but ive had a old town autopilot 136 for a few years now.

same width as a hobie pa 14, extremely stable and easy to fish out of.

comes factory with a minn kota 45 thrust trolling motor with spotlock.

ive built mine out for tournament fishing with a pair of hds9 and active target and its a killer rig 

registration is 27 dollars a year so youll survive

but if youre going the pedal route im a big fan of the pdl 106 and 120 from old town!

I only fish out of a paddle kayak. I love my yak but a pedal or trolling motor would be a major improvement. If you ever fish current or the salt paddling is definitely a chore. If you like fishing for species where trolling would be a factor then get a hobie. My buddy got a hobie and he can go way farther more easily than I can in my paddle yak, hold in current, sprint faster, and stand up which is honestly a game changer. The only advantage to a paddle kayak is that they are typically lighter which means if you need to get over some rip rap or something sketchy to launch, you can do it without help.  

I fish out of a Nucanoe Frontier 12, its one of the widest and most stable kayaks on the market!  I stand and fish in it and have never had any stability issues.  I also added the Motor Guide Xi3 remote control trolling motor.  They have both a spot lock version and a non spot lock version of the trolling motor.  Lots of available accessories for it to make it all your own.  Lots cheaper than a Hobie/old town and quite capable in my opinion!