Acid rat hooks hung up

UnderSpinSwimJeter

Is it happening consistently since you put the quads on?
I been running my Acid Rat with the stock hardware (SU Strike Hooks) and only had the hooks hang up on each other one time so far.

Perhaps go back to the stock hardware or downsize as you suggest. The Acid Rat is a compact bait as compared to others, and downsizing one or both hooks to keep them from fouling may be the solution. 

These are just suggestions. Perhaps others who have the same experience as you will chime in and offer advice. 

If I may ask, why did you replace the stock hooks with quads? Any particular reason or benefit? Or just personal preference?

I use size 2 quads on my acid rat. Yeah they’ll get hung up every now and then but not too much to complain. Like he said just downsize them. I use quads cause of personal preference, I used to lose a lot of fish on regular trebles and ever since the switch I feel more confident and hook more fish. If a fish breathes on these quads they’re done. All my wakes and rats have size 2 quads and all my crawlers have 1/0. Just my 2 cents. Good luck bro. 

Also, to answer @Mossyback Angler. I fish a heavier rod for my rats and wakes. So I bend out loads of hooks especially with the snakehead around here. I find that even when I have one point almost completely straight at times because I have 7 more points I usually always land the fish. But that’s just the size 2s. On the 1/0 and my Sherpa crawlers I don’t bend hooks and I horse those fish. 50# braid to 30# mono ALWAYS. Decoy quads to me are just a must have. 

12 hours ago, Mossyback Angler said:

I been running my Acid Rat with the stock hardware (SU Strike Hooks) and only had the hooks hang up on each other one time so far.

Perhaps go back to the stock hardware or downsize as you suggest. The Acid Rat is a compact bait as compared to others, and downsizing one or both hooks to keep them from fouling may be the solution. 

These are just suggestions. Perhaps others who have the same experience as you will chime in and offer advice. 

If I may ask, why did you replace the stock hooks with quads? Any particular reason or benefit? Or just personal preference?

I tried going go back to stock and they still do it. Its the only hooks I'll use. The stock hooks weren't doing the job. I lost a lot of fish before I switched them. The stock SU ones have a tiny barb and the hooks just comes right out like there isn't any barb there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this could affect the esthetics of the bait but couldn’t the rear hook hanger be moved back  to prevent this from happening?  If it’s a solid wood or resin bait it would only require a very small hole. 

On 10/22/2023 at 2:07 AM, Mossyback Angler said:

I tried going go back to stock and they still do it. Its the only hooks I'll use. The stock hooks weren't doing the job. I lost a lot of fish before I switched them. The stock SU ones have a tiny barb and the hooks just comes right out like there isn't any barb there.