Extending rod handle

Mauknasty

Anyone ever extend their rod handle and have some tips for me?

I have a Phenix Recon2 heavy, fast action 7' 1" paired with a lexa 100 hs and the butt is only 11" from the reel seat. I feel like i don't have much leverage when i fish it. I read that if i over extend it there's a chance it'll have too much leverage and snap?

i just want to add maybe 2.5-3.5 inches to it.. dont need no swimbait rod butt lol

thanks!

The only way I have ever seen people do it is to drill out the bottom of your current handle, then take part of a blank on an old or broken rod, cut it to fit into the bottom of your current handle with about 6" or so inside your blank. Glue that in then cut the bottom and put a piece of the old rods handle on the bottom. The tricky part is getting a piece with the correct taper to fit in there snuggly. I know I have heard Butch extends his Loomis' (i can see why I love the rods but they do have short handles.) I dont know if this is how he does it or not.

Buy a clearance blank from mudhole, remove the rear grip and butt cap, stuff the clearance blank inside to see where it matches up, then cut a piece of the extension length youwant plus a quarter inch each way. Epoxy it in, aand it'll slide in a little more when lubed w/ epoxy. I then stuff Eva on from the back (epoxy it on), then the buttcap. Good to go. I can email pics of the finished product if you want.

I have done it to a muskie rod. I first took the cork off everywhere but 2 inches on the butt and 2 inches by the handle. Then I took an extemely light piece of aluminum tubing and slid it over the cork and epoxied it in. It lasted all year and I am throwing some big baits. talking about baits pushing a pound or maybe a little more.

It is an easy way to do it and it hold up good. The reason I did it was because for some reason the company that made the rod made the handle about half as long as it should be on a 9 foot rod.

Maybe try asking about this on a non swimbait forum like ultimate bass or swimbait universe lol. I don't think that you will get much love on here asking that question since it isn't big bait related.

I would but i'm not a member there, so ill ask it here.

Feel free to add your .02 to the other "non-big bait" related topics that are here as well..

Feel free to add your .02 to the other "non-big bait" related topics that are here as well..

This is a swimbaiting forum. So all "non-big bait" related topics shouldn't be here in the first place.

This is a swimbaiting forum. So all "non-big bait" related topics shouldn't be here in the first place.

then why is there?

I had about 3.5 inches added to one of my sb rods and that really changed the rod's characteristics/balance. I ended up removing the extension. That may have been and probably was an isolated case with my rod but it's something i'll be mindful of if i ever need to get another one done. And yes, it was done by using the cut off handle from another rod.