Back pain problems

Vitamincfoyah

Broken neck in 2015 and broken back in 2016 and they’ve been haunting me ever since. 2018-2019 I couldn’t fish for more than an hour at a time. I’ve developed a wonky hook set because of it. Having the right rod and proper casting form is huge. Other than that, it still hurts every time I fish. Unfortunately I just fish through the pain. I’ve tried acupuncture, chiropractor, PT, and all sorts of holistic stuff. I’d say strengthening with PT helped the most. 

On 11/7/2023 at 4:48 AM, Vitamincfoyah said:

I can tell I’m getting older throwing bigger baits,  wanna stay out there all day but my back limits me to a few hours most of the time. Anyone else have this problem? Did anything help? 

No one has asked what type of fishing you're doing?...... makes a huge difference between shore, boat, kayak. As a more mature member....I would suggest a stable platform/surface and start your swing low and finish about chest high. Overhead casts put a lot of strain on your whole body! Don't try to overcast the bait.

I am not a Dr. but I have been through more surgery's than most people and still throw larger baits routinely.

Sometimes as we mature are body just can't do what we used to do.

I’m still on the younger side, but slinging big baits all day while sitting in a kayak comes with its aches and pains…especially when you get over that 5oz threshold.

Stretching beforehand helps. It makes you look like a wimp if there are spectators around, but you’ll thank yourself later for loosening up those muscles and joints before straining them.

I’ve also found that having the proper rod (length and action) makes a huge difference. I’m trying to train myself to let the rod load up more and really launch the bait. My arms should mostly be used to stabilize and induce motion/loading, and my back should not be thrown in behind every cast. This has really helped reduce fatigue and I actually seem to get better casting distance too.

Learning to cast and retrieve ambidextrously can also be good.

Posture is extremely important not just while fishing but at all times. As someone who has had a “slouching” posture most of my life and workin manual labor jobs, I began having real bad back issues in the lumbar region in my mid 20s. Pay attention to how you are standing on the boat and how you are sitting in the car or at home. Are you keeping your foot on the pedal for extended periods while fishing? Even if you have it recessed, it’s still a bit elevated and standing like that for long periods will absolutely effect your spine alignment and cause all sorts of issues.

I started seeing a chiro two years ago and it has been life saving. I don’t throw my back out anymore and my mobility has returned to normal. One visit a month is usually enough to keep me tuned up and in shape. Might be worth looking in to if the problem persists.

Also be aware of tendinitis in the hands and arms. Stretching is always good.

I only throw sub 5 oz baits now cause my neck and shoulder got all jacked up about a year ago. getting better through stretching/mobility exercises but anything more than that puts me in spasm for a week lol.

Also started using shorter rods this year and it helps a lot. I have 2 6’6” sb rods and a 7’4” that throw in the 1 to 5 oz range and the shorter rod just puts less leveraged pressure on your shoulder than a frickin 8’ pole. I really prefer the shorter rods nowadays anyway cause they just handle better imo and easier to travel/move around with for sure 

third point, if your gonna take anything for the pain make sure it’s an nsaid cause that’s what’s gonna keep the inflammation down and help you heal, acetaminophen and other pain reducers aren’t really what your after, you wanna get the inflammation down which will in turn help with the pain and get you back slinging baits again. And don’t forget the ICE. Ice that ish when you get back from fishing it’ll help a lot.

Two biggest things for me: if you’re in a boat, stand! If I put in my pedestal seat to lean on, my back is killing me in no time. Standing for 8 hours is tiring of course, but I’d rather be tired than have back pain. 

Honestly I think the other is making sure you have good rods that load appropriately, and of course staying away from the biggest baits (7+oz). We don’t realize that fishing an 8 hour day with a shitty rod wears on your whole body with every cast, hookset, retrieve. I don’t miss fishing cheap gear at all for this reason. 

L5 S1 discectomy here. Go to a good doctor and follow recommendations. Stay awake from internet diagnoses. I have no issues throwing swimbaits in part because I have high quality seats in my boats. In my bass boat I stand but use  a pedestal seat that has a u in it for leaning. Avoid standing without support would be my suggestion.

PS. I have a good buddy who has an og rear pedestal that runs up my ass, and so I don't night fish with him anymore. Can't risk the sudden stops and gos I can't anticipate.  Don't get it he upgraded his other seats.  Can't even sit on it - it is like sitting on metal since seat is toast. I understand not everybody would complain about it but last thing I need is to go back into surgery for herniating a disc again. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

On 11/7/2023 at 12:25 PM, Fried Lemons said:

Train your stabilizing muscles. Heavy deadlifts.

Yeah I did heavy deadlifts, competed in strongman( lifting concrete stones and cars) for two years. You can use/have perfect technique and if you push hard enough for long enough somethings gonna break. At 38 my neurosurgeon that fused my back said I had an 85 year olds spine. 

On 11/7/2023 at 6:48 AM, Vitamincfoyah said:

I can tell I’m getting older throwing bigger baits,  wanna stay out there all day but my back limits me to a few hours most of the time. Anyone else have this problem? Did anything help? 

Go see a neurosurgeon and make sure you're not allowing your nerves to be damaged. If you are and it's not corrected, permanent irreversible damage can be done. It gets hard to walk, drive, and fish when you can't feel or control your legs. 

I'm not suggesting to immediately go get cut on(been there, have the T - shirt and $1800 back brace). It may be something easily corrected if action is taken early on. 

No I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night as their beds make my back hurt.

Get primary care doc to order an mri not just an xray or ct scan. I was called a faker by an orthopedic surgeon cuz my xray was negative and I literally had to beg him for help. This was early on when mris were hard to get. After my mri, he called apologetically saying I needed surgery immediately for a herniated disc. 

Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I’m glad I’m not the only one but also kinda bummed everyone’s backs are hurting lol.
Maybe the next SU drop should be a back brace. 
pretty sure with me it’s a muscle issue and not spinal (yet) so I’ve started a little daily workout and I’m hoping in a month or two I’ll see some improvements cause I’ve spent too much to go back to conventional
also been trying to stand up straighter but I’m a slob at heart and it’s hard to stop standing around like a little gremlin, I think it’s part of my charm tbh