Removing Fresh Paint Smell

Fishing434

SU, tried searching for this topic but didn't find much, I apologize if its already been discussed...

Does anyone out there have a good way to rid baits of the "fresh paint smell". I recently got some 3:16's and MS Slammers that have a VERY strong paint smell.

I obviously have them out of the package however they still have a strong odor several weeks later.

I figure fishing them is the best way but its not happening when everything is frozen over! Plus I want to have them ready for spring.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks Guys

SM

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys notice a difference in fishing a paint/rubber smelling bait and one you guys have treated with something? I wonder if sometimes we just over think certain aspects of our fishing. At the same time though, whatever gives you even more confidence is certainly worth it, especially in the swimbait world. Sorry to take this thread slightly off topic.

Do you guys notice a difference in fishing a paint/rubber smelling bait and one you guys have treated with something? I wonder if sometimes we just over think certain aspects of our fishing. At the same time though, whatever gives you even more confidence is certainly worth it, especially in the swimbait world. Sorry to take this thread slightly off topic.

Yes I believe it DOES make a difference, there is times when there is a good day of fishing that wouldn't matter, but scent adds an extra advantage. I feel it also hides scents like, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (LOL), Super glue, sunblock, soap, hand sanitizer, any chemical substance we may not be aware our bait is hitting from our hands while fishing.

I'm starting to rack up some video footage that scent does matter!

Yes I believe it DOES make a difference, there is times when there is a good day of fishing that wouldn't matter, but scent adds an extra advantage. I feel it also hides scents like, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (LOL), Super glue, sunblock, soap, hand sanitizer, any chemical substance we may not be aware our bait is hitting from our hands while fishing.

I'm starting to rack up some video footage that scent does matter!

On the point of masking our human scents, I often think about this. Specifically with scented soaps and pumping gas pre trip, I always try to be very careful. Although I have never used scents, its something I have considered. Ive also read on here how procure can add a slickness to the bait and help fish take it. Even the slightest bit of an advantage can be the difference between keeping a fish hooked and not. We have all seen fish come up and just stab at out baits and never seem to commit. I thought it was just generally a maneuver fish pull, but possibly those types of actions could change into bites if the fish tastes what they are supposed to. Has anyone had a trip where they did not use scent to start, then put some on and killed it? I understand its a small sample size with many variable but it would be an interesting read.

The smell debate has always been a subject I can't form a solid opinion on. Whether we are talking a 8oz swimbait or a finesse worm, I'm just not sure either way. If anything, I do think adding scent is more of a cover-up than an attractant. (I feel the same way about scent related hunting products)

I did just recently see a Bill Dance episode in which he mentions scientists have proven bass can't detect human hand sweat (or something along those lines)

EDIT: My above statements are in regards to bass, not catfish and certain other species

It's hard actually proove if it helped or not..because no two scenarios are the same...I will tell you this EVERY good day I've had on the water had scent involved wether it's a confidence thing or not who knows

I use Power Team lures Hog Tonic, on hard baits that have paint smell and on all soft baits.

That stuff is the sinkiest ish ive ever used, and it does not leave the bait......or your fingers, or your clothes, or your boat......

No bs'ing though, it really does work.

I just let them air out until the smell goes away at least a little bit…

I'm on the fence whether or not scent works as an attractant, but I'll use it to cover my scent and I've got this crazy notion the fish will hold on to the bait a bit longer if it has scent on it giving you a chance for a better hook set.

Letting it air out should work. Im a firm believer about having sun block on your hands is not good. I scrub my hands like a surgeon after i put on sun block. I use pro cure on soft baits but makes a mess on boat carpet.

i dont use scent period!

1 - hate it

2 - it stinks

3 - it leaves stains everywhere

4 - leaves a huge mess in the tackle box

i used them way back in the day. then it became more of a hassle for me to put it on, so i stopped cold turkey. other people on the boat would use it though. i personally did not see an improvement using it, or lack of fish not using it.

i am on the fence on this (based on my experience).

for those that do see an improvement using scent, i would like to read these experiences. please post them up.

:)

tia