What are the best winter swimbaits

Tmanswimbaitr

Winter can be a bust for “swimbaiting” you’re gonna spend a lot of trips fishing for 1-2 fish. Soft baits fished low and slow or glide baits that suspend fished slow with long pauses. Tbh I usually fish a 2.8 keitech and drag around a creature bait to get through the winter. Mid February it’s on for the big baits. Just my own experience and opinion I’m sure some dudes got it dialed in for the winter but not me. Most of the fish in my experience are not willing to chase fast moving baits in the colder months and I just don’t have the patience or money to drag around a hudd for 8 hrs and lose 2 baits per trip with nothing to show for it. And tbh that’s just glorified jig fishing anyway.

7 hours ago, brootalititties said:

Winter can be a bust for “swimbaiting” you’re gonna spend a lot of trips fishing for 1-2 fish. Soft baits fished low and slow or glide baits that suspend fished slow with long pauses. Tbh I usually fish a 2.8 keitech and drag around a creature bait to get through the winter. Mid February it’s on for the big baits. Just my own experience and opinion I’m sure some dudes got it dialed in for the winter but not me. Most of the fish in my experience are not willing to chase fast moving baits in the colder months and I just don’t have the patience or money to drag around a hudd for 8 hrs and lose 2 baits per trip with nothing to show for it. And tbh that’s just glorified jig fishing anyway.

The bass will 100% plow a fast moving swimmer in the winter. Trout get chased all the time and they're moving quick with the bass not far behind. 

7 hours ago, brootalititties said:

I mostly agree with this. I’m urban shore based so I feel like it’s even tougher in the winter. My most recent fish came from the klash, 250, and hudd gill. But they are few and far between. I just don’t enjoy fishing the small stuff much anymore even if I catch fish so I’m grinding the swimbaits all the way through

• 2 weeks later...

Can always slow roll a Deps slide swimmer 145. Pitch short and chop the handles. But you will also fish all day and maybe get 1 to 2 if lucky, however good time to practice for the spring and get technique down

On 1/10/2024 at 3:56 PM, Newtothis said:

Can always slow roll a Deps slide swimmer 145. Pitch short and chop the handles. But you will also fish all day and maybe get 1 to 2 if lucky, however good time to practice for the spring and get technique down

I second this as well as the 175 ss and the suspending tk…hope you find them, I’m not!