DRT Tiny Klash Masterclass - Hi Float VS Lo Float

DEPS_250

I know this topic has been brought up before but I figured I would start one again since the DRT Tiny Klash is such a popular bait on this forum. Looking to buy my very first ever DRT Tiny Klash and I am really confused as to which version I should get first in order to have the best experience and the best gauge on the abilities/capabilities of what the bait can do. 

1. What is the biggest difference between the Hi Float and the Lo Float Tiny Klash? Per Wired2fish.com, 'The Hi Float version floats up quickly to the surface much like a crankbait while the Lo Float version suspends like a jerkbait'. 
  2. Which version would be more beginner friendly for someone who has never fished a DRT Tiny Klash before?
  3. If you can only have/buy one, which version would be the most versatile and therefore allow for the most tuning? 
  4. Do they both fish very similar with the same tail and bill configurations? On the other hand, do they fish vastly different depending on bill and tail configurations and the particular style of fishing you're trying to achieve and/or mimic? 
  5. Is it best to use split rings, snaps or direct line tie to the front of the bait?

I would think the Hi Float would be the most versatile as far as tuning goes since you can always add more weight to get it to suspend and/or sink faster, correct? On the other hand, I am thinking the Lo Float would probably be more beginner friendly since it's pretty much just take it out of the package and go straight to fishing, correct? Any other concerns, tips and info would be greatly appreciated. 

The hi float requires a lot of weight to make it sink or suspend. It is primarily a top water or just barely sub surface bait. Mike Gilbert has a video on how he prefers to use the hi float and it is as a wake if I’m not mistaken. I would say the vast majority of people buy and prefer Lo floats as they are more versatile in my opinion. If you plan on using it for the popular modes like the dead slow, YTMK, dead walk, glide, or anything that’s presented more than 1 ft deep the lo float will be the one you want. The Hi float is good for a wake, surface walk, or barely subsurface crank basically a top water. In my experience it is very hard to get that more than a foot down without adding tons of board weights or grenade weights. I like both versions for very different applications but use the Lo much more often especially this time of year. And I fish all the klash baits with snaps personally.

Edited by Tpreston
Added more text

I should also add, neither one of these will suspend straight out of the box. It is going to be necessary to add board weights to achieve a suspend on either one. But the Hi will need an excessive amount of them compared to the Lo. They are the same bait just with different weights. The actions you can achieve with different mode configurations are the same on both versions they’re just achieved in different depths. The Lo would be best to start with in my opinion and would be my go to if I could only have one. That said, if you want this as a glide bait solely, the TK in particular can be harder to control in glide mode than the K9 because the TK is more erratic due to its smaller size and also having an extremely wide joint angle. It requires more precise and delicate user input than a larger glide in my experience. I definitely recommend getting a transfer tail and a V tail as well as a minnow lip to accompany the stock lip and varial tail to cover most of the different modes. I like to use the G guard when presenting on the bottom too. I’d also recommend watching some of Crazybassfisher’s YouTube tutorials on the modes/when to use each mode and setups/terminal he prefers as well as the Drt YouTube channel among tons of others. 

Edited by Tpreston

The low float is what I'd call versatile. The high float I mostly pigeon-hole as a wake or burning bait. Really the question is whether you'll fish it more as a wake or a gliding/twitching bait.

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

The low float is what I'd call versatile. The high float I mostly pigeon-hole as a wake or burning bait. Really the question is whether you'll fish it more as a wake or a gliding/twitching bait.

Based on all the research I have done so far, I am thinking I will mostly fish the TK more as a glidebait and for the 'dead walk'. Looks like I should get the Lo Float first since it is more versatile. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:09 PM, DEPS_250 said:

Is it best to use split rings, snaps or direct line tie to the front of the bait?

For gliding and cranking I have found a split ring or snap is best. But if I want to dead walk or twitch the bait, then I like to direct tie since it doesn't give it such a large range of movement.

1 hour ago, DEPS_250 said:

Based on all the research I have done so far, I am thinking I will mostly fish the TK more as a glidebait and for the 'dead walk'. Looks like I should get the Lo Float first since it is more versatile. 

If you’re going w the tk. Get a minnow lip and a v tail. Trying to glide that tk w stock hardware isn’t for a beginner. Much tougher to work then a k9. In my opinion. 

1 hour ago, GTier525 said:

If you’re going w the tk. Get a minnow lip and a v tail. Trying to glide that tk w stock hardware isn’t for a beginner. Much tougher to work then a k9. In my opinion. 

Just letting you know it is really that easy. Just need to have the right gear.

No lip, small split ring or snap on the nose and whale tail down. #15-17 fluoro or #15 mono and that TK is gonna have an awesome gliding or darting action. Rod needs to have a somewhat soft and forgiving tip. Really helps if you have a high speed reel. 

41 minutes ago, 5-20 said:

Just letting you know it is really that easy. Just need to have the right gear.

No lip, small split ring or snap on the nose and whale tail down. #15-17 fluoro or #15 mono and that TK is gonna have an awesome gliding or darting action. Rod needs to have a somewhat soft and forgiving tip. Really helps if you have a high speed reel. 

Transfer tail makes it even easier to glide a tk. I run #4 egg snap on mine and it will glide no problem. I agree a softer rod makes it even easier, but I can get it to glide on a dobyns 795 champ with little effort. 

I've been using an owner hyperwire #2 ring. You can get by with a #3 but the #4 ring I tried at first affected its action too much. 

Will have to try the transfer tail sometime soon.  

This is the only way I’ve ever fished the hi and It seems to be the only way I ever will as I don’t like it as a crank down at all.  Relatively quiet but very strong wake.  Walks in place like a dream too.  

-downtail 

-wide lip backwards.

-stock everything else 

IMG_4830.jpeg

Edited by scojangles

Thanks guys for all the replies and help. I will refer back to this post when I need some help. Just gotta get my hands on a TK now. I am hoping I can get one before spring shows up. 

Also forgot to mention, I am a braid to leader guy for all of my swimbait fishing. I always test my baits out with a mono, copolymer and/or fluorocarbon leader, depending on the style of bait and what I want the bait to do and the amount of action I want from the bait.

Does braid to leader matter at all for effectively fishing the TK when using all of the different lip and tail combinations? Or is it best to fish the TK with a straight mono, copolymer and/or fluorocarbon line? 

Edited by DEPS_250

13 minutes ago, DEPS_250 said:

Thanks guys for all the replies and help. I will refer back to this post when I need some help. Just gotta get my hands on a TK now. I am hoping I can get one before spring shows up. 

Also forgot to mention, I am a braid to leader guy for all of my swimbait fishing. I always test my baits out with a mono, copolymer and/or fluorocarbon leader, depending on the style of bait and what I want the bait to do and the amount of action I want from the bait.

Does braid to leader matter at all for effectively fishing the TK when using all of the different lip and tail combinations? Or is it best to fish the TK with a straight mono, copolymer and/or fluorocarbon line? 

Personally never fished it with braid but I’d imagine it’s good for the hi float. I use straight fluoro for my Lo floats because I like to let the line sink out after a cast to help keep the bait down longer 

On 1/10/2024 at 7:30 PM, Tpreston said:

I should also add, neither one of these will suspend straight out of the box. It is going to be necessary to add board weights to achieve a suspend on either one. But the Hi will need an excessive amount of them compared to the Lo. They are the same bait just with different weights. The actions you can achieve with different mode configurations are the same on both versions they’re just achieved in different depths. The Lo would be best to start with in my opinion and would be my go to if I could only have one. That said, if you want this as a glide bait solely, the TK in particular can be harder to control in glide mode than the K9 because the TK is more erratic due to its smaller size and also having an extremely wide joint angle. It requires more precise and delicate user input than a larger glide in my experience. I definitely recommend getting a transfer tail and a V tail as well as a minnow lip to accompany the stock lip and varial tail to cover most of the different modes. I like to use the G guard when presenting on the bottom too. I’d also recommend watching some of Crazybassfisher’s YouTube tutorials on the modes/when to use each mode and setups/terminal he prefers as well as the Drt YouTube channel among tons of others. 

I am addicted to glidebaits. I fish glidebaits more than I do any other style of hard swimbaits. I will fish a glidebait all day everyday, if the conditions are right. I always fish them more than my multi-jointed swimbaits, wakebaits, topwaters and crankdowns. 

With that said, If I am mainly after a glidebait action on a DRT, would it be best for me to skip the TK for now and instead pick up the K9 since the K9 is better suited for glidebait duty over the TK? I have a rod and reel setup that can easily handle the 4oz's on the K9. I am afraid the TK might be too finicky for me in glide mode and will eventually cause me some heartaches/headaches. Therefore, I might be better off getting the K9 since I am mainly going after a glidebait action, right? 

Edited by DEPS_250