Are Calcuttas worth it?

Klashnash

Currently got my eyes on a Calcutta Conquest 200 DC 19. I’ve only ever thrown curado Ks and have been looking for something new. Love my k’s but I am tempted to try something a little higher quality. My question is are the Calcuttas really worth the price or would I be better off going with something else.

I think they’re worth it if you want something really nice. I like using them because they fish really well and they’ve all been very reliable/solid for me. They aren’t necessary tho if you’re happy with what you have. The DC ones really will shine if you’re throwing baits that cast funky or throwing into the wind as even night fishing too. 

I got to a point where I didn’t like trying other reels anymore (plus I kinda like standardizing) so I now have only conquests. Except one Bantam tho, those reels are bad ass too. 

Yes, worth it.  Once you use high quality gear, you'll never want to fish with anything else.

I have 8 of the new Conquest MD's, I'm like @Bass_blaster and like all my reels to be the same.  It makes it easy to transition when switching between rods when they're all the same.  I do the same with my conventional reels, I have 10 of the 2020 Metaniums.

6 hours ago, HCfromNC said:

Great reels , nothing to worry about here 

Nuff said! But I'll throw my 2¢ in - I love my Conquests the only problem is that once you step up there is only 1 more reel to try. Antares DCMD - and it is exactly as impressive. So, short story - remain in the Curado K line and be happy, OR jump out the window and enjoy your fishing experience even more - and cringe at your CC balance every now and again. Order from Digitaka makes it less painful in my experience. Saves money to give to USA bait builders - the way life should be. JDM for reels, and USA for rods and baits and happy campers all! Tight lines guys

One other note on reels. The Scorpion MD from Japan is a Tranx 300 with better guts, a beefier stock handle and low profile comfort. I own 1 and it goes w me everyday and never a problem. Also just over 200$ depending upon a favorable exchange rate in Japan so that's all I know to sum it up. Id like to try Daiwa z or Ryoga, but don't really see a reason at this point in my development. Got plenty of arrows to fire at em by now. Cheers

To me it’s worth it I like the feel of round reels it’s what I grew up throwing. Right now Iv got a 200dc on a light set up 1-4 oz that I throw all the time for top water and lighter lipped and glides .300 md on a 2-6 of that handles most of my glides. For the heavier stuff I still throw a 300 tatula on a xh for stuff over 6oz. Those 3 setups handle all my big bait needs 

If you got little hands, round reels suck. My hands are small for a grown man (they are strong through) haha. 

I will say I have fished a few buddies calcuttas and ryogas. The Shimano seems to fit nicer, but would make for a long day holding either one .

Build quality is incredible on both, and they can cast a country mile if set up correctly.

See above comment. Was going to add that.

If you're ok with round reels, great. I've tried them on and off and never really liked or got used to them. For that reason, I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to a round reel even if the new conquests are super nice. 

I have had a few 400s and a 200 and they are absolutely top tier functionality and feel. That being said for the price you could outfit 3 other setups. Or replace 1, 3 times over. Some dudes will throw a matching conquest on 7 setups and upgrade them all every time  a new model drops but then what’s the point of spending the money on a reel that will “last a lifetime” just to replace it every couple years lmao. I have one conquest that I held onto and it serves a specific function for me which is high resistance lipped baits that I’m usually working on a slow-mid speed steady retrieve . The low ratio gearing and solid body stay smooth as hell under those loads and I can crank around for long periods better than on any of my low pro reels. It’s a 2015 model I got in mint condition for a really great price on eBay and it will definitely last me my lifetime if cared for properly.. Personal opinion on the dc specifically is that the sound is cool for about 10 minutes then it gets annoying lol.  I also prefer not to have electronics in my mechanical devices if possible but that’s probably just me being a fud. I’d say if you’re wearing out your curado ks from fishing big baits on them then it might be worth stepping up but if they’re holding up it might not be worth the extra investment. That being said if you get one I’m sure you won’t be complaining about it

Y yak & 22Ranger are spot on with their thoughts.  Considering the conquest ; they are simply the best. Balanced gear is essential  & if high end balanced gear is in the budget get it.  Myself I'd rather have 3 or 4 high end setups than a bunch of lower end setups.  It a real big deal just being able to pick up the next rod/reel.  No extra thought or adjusting to the next setup & just fish