Fishing Log And Notes Book

Hello SU Community, 

As the title suggests, do people still use log books and keep notes of their fishing season? 

When I primarily conventional fished in the past, I kept a generic log book that consisted of a downloaded form I found online. This has proved to be helpful, specifically at one particular body of water I used to frequent. However, with conventional there were more “physically” productive days with fish catches. Hence more notes to be kept. There was more emphasis on the fish catches than just conditions, if that makes sense. 

Fast forward a bit, I found years back that swimbait fishing suits me and my style of fishing better. I tend to enjoy the hunt  for that one quality bite vs. quantity of average bites. However, as we all experienced “the grind”, we can go some long stretches without a bite. So, with that, I stopped keeping a written log. I think it became more discouraging when I looked back at the season. So my “log book” so to speak, became just the images I captured on my phone. Not very informative. 

However, this season, I plan to keep track of my time on the water, especially since I have an established “home water” I fish almost exclusively. Win, loose or draw, I’m thinking of logging more detailed information of the conditions I am fishing, and less concentration on how the catches were made. Though that information will not be over looked either. 

What are your thoughts? Do people still find keeping a written log book useful in world dominated by digital options? Do you keep a log book, and if so what in particular do you find the most valuable information that you logged that helped you on the water season after season?

Chris~~~

I use a cheap small pocket notebook and throw it in my bag. I write everything from weather conditions, what time i started/ended fishing, baits I used and what got bit/did not get bit. I just keep it simple but use it to figure out what to put in my bag for that particular day/weather conditions

I take photos of my catches along with the bait and save them to an album. 

I organize the albums by month so I know what baits we’re working for every month. 

I use an iPhone along with an iPad which allows me to look at a photo and if I “ swipe up “ on the pic it will give the time and date but more importantly a location on the map and I can see exactly where I caught the fish and it helps me to recall the “ pattern “. 

it will also show me “ nearby “ catches 

‘the blacked out portion of the photo gives me the name of the lake which  u guys can’t have LOL

IMG_2504.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

IMG_2506.png

IMG_2503.jpeg

Edited by Jim137a

I use to my first couple years then kinda got tired of logging blanks so focused  more on moon phases around certain spots did it for atleast 2 years then kinda stopped when I kinda realized a pattern , definitely helpful just can be a pain in the butt if you fish alot . Amazon has some pretty cool fishing journals for cheap .

32 minutes ago, Jim137a said:

I take photos of my catches along with the bait and save them to an album. 

I organize the albums by month so I know what baits we’re working for every month. 

I use an iPhone along with an iPad which allows me to look at a photo and if I “ swipe up “ on the pic it will give the time and date but more importantly a location on the map and I can see exactly where I caught the fish and it helps me to recall the “ pattern “. 

it will also show me “ nearby “ catches 

‘the blacked out portion of the photo gives me the name of the lake which  u guys can’t have LOL

IMG_2504.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

IMG_2506.png

IMG_2503.jpeg

That’s great system. Especially for on the go.
I have to figure out how to set my iPhone to log the locations. 
I can definitely see that being extremely useful. 

There's an app called. Angler's Lig that let's you record you catches. I like it because it let's you save all of your baits and then you can select them to add to your catch. Also pulls down location, weather and moon data. You can see detailed stats of your catches and stuff. Very cool. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cohenadair.anglerslog

I started doing this in 2022, made.it to about August when I gave up

I figured snapping pics was more efficient for logging the data 

Based on the pic info,we have date (and thus the weather conditions), location, and a thousand other words worth of data that takes seconds to record and also easy to reference 

14 minutes ago, MurdaJ said:

I started doing this in 2022, made.it to about August when I gave up

I figured snapping pics was more efficient for logging the data 

Based on the pic info,we have date (and thus the weather conditions), location, and a thousand other words worth of data that takes seconds to record and also easy to reference 

Well, after Jim’s post and screenshots I realized I am technologically behind everyone.
I didn’t realize my IPhone actually tracks all this information. 
While my older images do not show location, as I must have had location services turned off for the camera, the later ones from this season did document all this information.

This will be incredibly useful to me in my task of documenting the season. 

Glad I posted the topic and asked the question.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

I have made an excel spreadsheet that I log every fish 2lbs and over.  I log the details such as time, location, moon phase, barometric pressure, lighting conditions, wind, and bait used.  It’s not perfect by any means, but after 4 years of doing this, spotting trends has become interesting….now w if I was just a good fisherman, my spreadsheet might be more impressive :-D

11 hours ago, BassSniffer said:

There's an app called. Angler's Lig that let's you record you catches. I like it because it let's you save all of your baits and then you can select them to add to your catch. Also pulls down location, weather and moon data. You can see detailed stats of your catches and stuff. Very cool. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cohenadair.anglerslog

Cool idea but is it like every app that starts as a trial then needs a subscription or is it a 100% free ?