Multi jointed baits

mjaygrunt

So, I am going to go out in a limb here and say it’s going to depend on what type of multi-joint bait you are referring to. 

For example, take a 2pc rat wakebait, typically, them joints “clacking” or better term, “knocking” is typically desirable. Some baits have been designed to produce a loud “clack” or “knock”. 

On the flip side, as I am not a glidebait aficionado, so this is from my limited experience , I think most baits have some sort of joint noise, unless otherwise designed not to do so. For example, the Deps Slide Swimmer, with its soft cover seems to dampen the joints from making noise. Other manufacturers baits provide softeners to silence the joints. But there are many well known baits that have joint noise that absolutely catch fish. 

I think it all comes down to preference and condition of the water your fishing. On one hand, maybe when there is wind blowing and more disturbance on the water, there are times the noise can be beneficial and draw fish to the bait. However, on a super calm day, one may want a more subtle approach. 

Keep in mind, most baits will always have some sort of noise from the hardware for the hooks and line tie. 

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts. 

Chris~~~