Eastern curiosity about western fishery

NorthernBass4L

Ever since I got on SU and learned about the calico/spotty/sandbass fishery I have been interested in it. Out here In the northeast I would say the closest thing we really have would be black sea bass, but you don't target them anything like you target the pacific basses. But what I've always been confused by is the fact that they really don't seem to grow that big, and yet the gear people use is what I would consider to be like heavy bass gear. It seems like sometimes a nice fish would be small even for largemouth standards of size. And it seems like there's other sick saltwater fish to catch out there that grow much larger. 

I am in no way trying to diss on a fishery, personally I think its dope as hell, the fish look sick. I am just curious, what's the main drawing to going after the pacific basses? Is it like they put up a great fight? Lots of numbers to make for fun days? Let me know! Maybe I will have to book a trip out west to experience it for myself sometime. 

(Figured I would post here since this topic isn't about freshwater bass)

Highly recommend targeting saltwater bass in Southern California, they fight harder and are meaner than any freshwater bass, I would fish for calicoes exclusively if I lived closer to them. Even the small ones, 1-2lb’ers will double over a heavy or XH rod and break off 20lb fluoro. Numbers are also a good draw and the settings where you can be found fishing for them, drifting across kelp or up tight to boiler rocks with waves crashing around you are amazing as well. There are bigger fish you can target but being able to use pretty much the same gear we all use while swimbait fishing makes it easier than having to buy a whole new set of gear to handle larger species. Catching a big tuna is great but after fighting a fish for 1-2 hours you’re day is pretty much done. IMG_2931.thumb.png.bcc89d0797529bb4482bf2d0eb728292.pngIMG_2930.thumb.png.aa6810bdc903a43f0cefdade3609dba7.pngIMG_2928.thumb.png.1f40ad4adac3d319cfc527b4c18f415a.png

Close quarters fishing, atleast that is what draws me to Calico and Spotted Baybass. I fish from the shore so my experience may differ from others, but I am basically pitching and flipping into holes in the kelp, dragging swimbaits over the canopy, or swimming them on the edge of the kelp for a very visilual bite and an exciting form of fishing. Additionally,  calicobass also take all forms of lures including frogs, big swimbaits, craws and cranks, however unlike lmb,  they do so all year. Feel like punching mats in January? Head to the kelp. That is what keeps me stoked on them.

As far as gear, I hear heavy is necessary but I have only been broken off due to me being lazy and not fixing my knots when I need to. Up until last March I only fished 16lb floro, now I do 30-40lb braid to 20-25 lb floro. I presume guys go bigger on gear because yellow tail and white seabass share the same hunting grounds as calico, and you do not want to be undergunned if one of those comes for your lure.  Personally I have caught 7lb calicos on 100 size reels, but 200 is my preferred size, and I use 300s when throwing larger lures--not because I need a big reel to fight a calico. Again, my experience and opinion is formed from years of surffishing calicos, which is alot different than getting them on a boat. Regardless, we are both getting them in nasty cover, pulling them out of heavy kelp, and pulling them across mussel beds. My gear is not as heavy as others, but still in that punching rod+ category.

If you ever get the chance to come to CA, definitely book a guided calico trip.