Shimano Curado 200K For 1-3oz Glide Baits

DEPS_250

Need a reel review and input on the Shimano Curado 200 K series. 

1. Anyone know if the gears in the Shimano Curado 200K are 'beefy' enough to handle heavy swimbait fishing with 1-3oz glide baits? 1-3oz glide baits are my bread and butter.
  2. Do you think the Shimano Curado 200K can handle 4oz comfortably? 4oz would be the maximum I would be willing to push the reel. DRT Klash 9 Low Float at 4oz is the heaviest bait I am planning to throw on the Shimano Curado 200K.
  3. Is the line guide big enough for braid to leader knots using larger diameter lines?

Yes to 1&2.

For 3, are you running top shot? I wouldn’t want to do that with this reel, not only because of the levelwind, but in my opinion spool capacity is pretty much its biggest weakness. Braid on the spool and a wingspan of leader should be good enough

I bomb cast 2.5oz with my 200K no issues whatsoever. 3oz is totally doable as well, but I don’t whip the heavier baits out there full send…nor is there a need to as the line will fly off the spool all on its own.

Anything heavier than 3-3.5oz I would gravitate to a 300 size reel. Everything under and the 200K is fantastic!

• 1 month later...

I agree with all the previous answers. 4 oz. Is do-able with a 200, but you will notice how it can be pushing it for the reel if you try to get crazy casting real far. I'm also a leader guy, and I use the curado 200 DC. The holes are big enough for a leader knot. As long as your line size is reasonable and your not tying doubled over connection knots. I use 40-50lb braid to #16-#25 flouro or mono, with a FG knot.