New PB!!!

appstlhd

After catching my first two swimbait fish earlier this week, I was lucky enough to break my personal best today! I'm in law school right now, so I don't get to fish as much as I'd like- I probably fish more than I should already.  That being said, spring break is upon us! My buddy and I have been hitting our local lakes and ponds hard this week with water temps steadily rising.  Last year I had caught my previous PB, a 6lb 13oz fish on a wacky worm that came out of this pond in April, and I knew there was some serious swimbait potential here.  The bank holding the concrete pad splits in the center with a dock going out about 30 yards.  I had blown the side we came in on by walking down on the pad, and knew if there was a fish on the other side, I'd have to be a little sneakier.  I positioned myself high up on the bank above the pad, made a few casts under the dock, and slowly inched my way forward.  With the angle I was at, I only had about 10 feet of fishability before I had to swing my bait up the bank to avoid dragging it on the concrete.  As I made my way forward, I pitched my TK on the other side of a branch sticking out of the water, where the depth was probably around 2-3 feet.  I had been burning the Tiny Klash all morning with little success, so I slowed it down. Twitch, twitch, twitch, pause... and BOOM.  She came out of nowhere and sideswiped my bait HARD.  The whole event happened in about a second, but watching it felt like minutes.  I set the hook in disbelief and yelled at my buddy to get his ass over here.  I should NOT have landed that fish, that's for sure, but somehow, I did.  My hookset was late, and she shook her head hard.  Finally got her to the bank with one treble pinned in the corner of her jaw.  This fish beat my last PB at 7lbs 3oz.  SO close to 8, I'm almost mad about it. Almost. 

image000001.thumb.JPG.ef4f647f86df8b0c097b3a1300ba9de3.JPG964866878_IMG_1543Medium.jpeg.fd141aaef0aad7b6f0a005dea4790823.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...