Butch Brown Harness Rig on Soft Baits

JohnMarino

Hey guys wanted to share a rig that I’ve came up with experimenting on my own custom hand poured Swimbaits and wanted to share it with you guys as it will apply to creating a harness on all soft baits. Haven’t seen anyone talk about this before, this could be a game changer for rigging soft baits and with stuff you probably already have ! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4zOU-pLSa6/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

IMG_7935.thumb.jpeg.4aaabd2ba5bce4b539a575505c2ab9b8.jpeg

https://westcoastbaits.net/f/mastering-the-art-of-rigging-the-roma-trout-swimbait

Butch Brown Rig Harness:
1. Take an XL Screw lock spring and thread on a #3 - 90lb Swimbait Underground Split Ring or similar size that you may have on hand. Small size and strong split rings is key. 

2. Tie a short leader of 30lb P-line PF/CXX to the split ring and on the other end of the line, tie on your treble hook as close as possible.

We recommend using VMC or Gamakatsu as they have a flat side that lays flat on the bait with the two prongs sticking up.

3. Use the XL Screw lock spring and center it in the nose of the Swimbait, make sure the split ring is straight up and down, not sideways, the knot is faced toward the back of the bait, put the treble hook on the back of the bait. 

4. After rigging then tie your main line towards the middle of the split ring. so you will have two knots on the split ring one in the middle is your line tie and the other on the back towards the hook. 

5. Place 3/32 tungsten nail weights in each of the fins for weight and stability. 

If using stock springs from owner beast hooks, After rigging For added security you can unscrew the harness halfway and place a few drops of loctite super glue gel and then screw back on all the way. 

The main benefit of this rig is it is very stealthy, can be fished in any depth, and has a great hookup ratio. The Roma trout is soft and flexible so it can fold inside the mouth after getting bit and ensuring a good hookset on the fish. The most important thing is when you get a fish on, it has a direct connection from your direct mainline to your split ring to treble hook no need to use wire, crimps or have special tools anyone can tie up this rig with what they may already have laying around or on the water. 

13 hours ago, JohnMarino said:

Hey guys wanted to share a rig that I’ve came up with experimenting on my own custom hand poured Swimbaits and wanted to share it with you guys as it will apply to creating a harness on all soft baits. Haven’t seen anyone talk about this before, this could be a game changer for rigging soft baits and with stuff you probably already have ! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4zOU-pLSa6/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

IMG_7935.thumb.jpeg.4aaabd2ba5bce4b539a575505c2ab9b8.jpeg

https://westcoastbaits.net/f/mastering-the-art-of-rigging-the-roma-trout-swimbait

Butch Brown Rig Harness:
1. Take an XL Screw lock spring and thread on a #3 - 90lb Swimbait Underground Split Ring or similar size that you may have on hand. Small size and strong split rings is key. 

2. Tie a short leader of 30lb P-line PF/CXX to the split ring and on the other end of the line, tie on your treble hook as close as possible.

We recommend using VMC or Gamakatsu as they have a flat side that lays flat on the bait with the two prongs sticking up.

3. Use the XL Screw lock spring and center it in the nose of the Swimbait, make sure the split ring is straight up and down, not sideways, the knot is faced toward the back of the bait, put the treble hook on the back of the bait. 

4. After rigging then tie your main line towards the middle of the split ring. so you will have two knots on the split ring one in the middle is your line tie and the other on the back towards the hook. 

5. Place 3/32 tungsten nail weights in each of the fins for weight and stability. 

If using stock springs from owner beast hooks, After rigging For added security you can unscrew the harness halfway and place a few drops of loctite super glue gel and then screw back on all the way. 

The main benefit of this rig is it is very stealthy, can be fished in any depth, and has a great hookup ratio. The Roma trout is soft and flexible so it can fold inside the mouth after getting bit and ensuring a good hookset on the fish. The most important thing is when you get a fish on, it has a direct connection from your direct mainline to your split ring to treble hook no need to use wire, crimps or have special tools anyone can tie up this rig with what they may already have laying around or on the water. 

Nice , those baits look dope any drops coming soon ?

59 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

Nice , those baits look dope any drops coming soon ?

Thanks, starting a batch tomorrow send me a dm I’ll put you on the list got a few spots available for the 9.0” 

I have been Butch Brown rigging hudds with mono for a looong time. No wires/ crimps/ pliers nothing needed.

I fish up a Tyrant rigged like you described, except that I have a solid Decoy ring, and a loop knot for the hook. One less knot to tie and one less thing to go wrong.

Good point about the hook itself, needs to be non-inline to sit correctly on the bait.

Your baits look good, I’d be interested in a couple of the smaller ones if you do custom colors.

That is a phenomenal way to rig soft baits. Very simplistic but appears it will be extremely effective. Definitely have a few baits I can utilize this rigging technique on. 

Thank you for sharing this, much appreciated. 

Managed to land one on video today on the harness rig - I didn’t glue in the spring and it didn’t even budge was very secure and this fish had a few nice pulls at the net, just be sure to nail weight your bait properly so it’s balanced to your target depth 

On 4/2/2024 at 4:06 AM, chevro1et said:

@JohnMarino do you think the Jaw Jack'n CT 700 is a good candidate for this rigging method? I know you're familiar with those baits... 

I haven’t tried it but this method should apply to most soft baits that don’t have any harness as long as you weight it down properly. 3/32 Tungsten nail weights in the fins and I had luck using a 3/16oz neko weight under the hook slot bringing it to a total of around 3/8 oz of weight 

The harness rig just stuck a 9lber :-) 

IMG_1350.thumb.jpeg.98e0f3937be25d751939f9373af2854b.jpeg

Got mine today. Excited to rig em and fish em especially with RI trout stocks coming and ponds opening mid April, really nice looking baits in person. 

bait folds over in half without any modifications 

Thanks @JohnMarinofor all the answered questions and info 

IMG_3143.jpeg