F5 Rods VS Leviathan Rods - Blank Action Comparison/Reviews

DEPS_250

I am looking to buy my first custom rod some time soon. I am a braid to leader guy. I was wondering, between these 2 rod makers...Who uses a more slower action and softer/parabolic blank? I know that Leviathan uses NFC blanks. NFC blanks are pretty soft/parabolic and are pretty moderate in action.

On the other hand, Does anyone know which blank company/manufacturer F5 uses? I can't find any info as to which blank manufacturer F5 uses. Does anyone know if the Ghost Code series is pretty moderate in action and is it pretty soft/parabolic? 

I need a custom rod that acts and performs more like a big crankbait rod since I prefer to use braid to leader. 

2 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

I am looking to buy my first custom rod some time soon. I am a braid to leader guy. I was wondering, between these 2 rod makers...Who uses a more slower action and softer/parabolic blank? I know that Leviathan uses NFC blanks. NFC blanks are pretty soft/parabolic and are pretty moderate in action.

On the other hand, Does anyone know which blank company/manufacturer F5 uses? I can't find any info as to which blank manufacturer F5 uses. Does anyone know if the Ghost Code series is pretty moderate in action and is it pretty soft/parabolic? 

I need a custom rod that acts and performs more like a big crankbait rod since I prefer to use braid to leader. 

Well the leviathan has tiny guides so braid to leader might not be the rest when the knot comes through the guides , also was just a tad too soft for me compared to my F5 .

You can order a custom from Leviathan with bigger guides . As far as blanks go with F5, they don’t say and don’t release that info the last time I checked . But for braid I would go with Leviathan 

I've built 16 rods on NFC blanks (5 different swimbait blanks) and I highly recommend them.  I don't know anything about the F5 rods.  If you are looking for a giant crankbait look no further than the Neo heavy blank MB 808 xray.  Its a great all around treble hook bait rod that is a composite blank.  The blank has a graphite handle with a glass tip which gives it a bigger sweet spot range.  If I can only have one rod with me I'm grabbing that one.  It can throw everything from my conventional like frogs, chatterbaits and spinnerbaits up to a deps 250.  The 250 is about all it can handle though.   Also NFCs  salmon bounce back or  BB rods and are great swimbait rods. For mid size swimbaits 2-4 oz the BB 806 is perfect with a real nice deep bend that just launches baits.  But I like the NeoXh better for walking baits like the plunker.  Guessing by you user name you might like the 250, for that I like the BB809 over the SWB808.  They say the SWB 808 is a mod fast rod, but it is a fast rod.  The BB809 is slower.

Its a slippery slop my friend once you start building rods.  But if you are going NFC blanks they are way cheaper if you buy at least three in their sales.  My BB blanks were like $48 each plus tax (couple years ago).  So the finished rods were under $120, you can't beat that price.

6 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

On the other hand, Does anyone know which blank company/manufacturer F5 uses?

Not 100% sure but I think I remember reading somewhere that F5 uses Phenix blanks. Pure speculation though.

When I messaged them a few years back they said that their blanks are proprietary.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:00 PM, PKNNH said:

Not 100% sure but I think I remember reading somewhere that F5 uses Phenix blanks. Pure speculation though.

When I messaged them a few years back they said that their blanks are proprietary.

I think Brad has contracted with a blank manufacturer in China to build rods to his specs.

The Leviathan Dirty Dragon 8’ XXH is NOT parabolic. I like mod-fast Vs. mod, but the XXH is too fast for trebles. I bought it to throw my mothership and it’s definitely NOT the rod for something big and trebled.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve owned a few F5’s if you are looking for the more parabolic rods, the ghost code 710 and 800 would be more your style. If you go full custom, you’d like the blk710 blank for the smaller stuff and the custom MH blank for 3-5 oz baits.