HYBRID BASS/MUSKY IN LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA POND

appstlhd

Today has been the best day of fishing for my buddy and me in a while! I got a new Tatula 300 delivered today (thanks Digitaka!) and just had to go test it out! I started out with the Chad Shad, and after about 10 minutes of casting, I had a follower nip at it right when I was taking it out of the water! I've seen videos of guys in Japan figure eighting their swimbaits on followers and getting bites, but I had never tried it myself... until today!! Two figure eights later, and the bass in the second pic tried to hammer it! Barely hooked the SOB, but I flipped it onto the bank ASAP! I looked at my buddy across the corner of the lake and just laughed for about 5 minutes after releasing that fish.  I never thought bass would eat on the figure eight, as I've only known musky to do that! The second fish also came on the chad shad, and I got to test the drag on the new Tatula! She came in at 5 pounds, 8 ounces! Hell of a fight on the new reel, and it felt great.  I was worried that the 8.1 gear ratio on the Tatula would be too high, but turns out it's perfect for most of the baits I throw! Tight lines y'all!

-appstlhd

image000001 2.JPG

IMG_1742 Medium.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Solid fish! Whats your rod and line setup? Is that a Dobyns Fury 795 or 806? 

I have a Dobyns Fury 795 and my current reel feels a little slow for fishing glide baits. I am thinking about getting a Daiwa Tatula 300 myself and pairing it with my Dobyns 795. I just don't know if I should get the 8.1 or the 7.1?

You said that the 8.1 is the perfect gear ratio for the baits you like to throw, even though you were a little worried at first.

Which types of baits did you test? Were they mostly glide baits like the Spro Chad Shad? I am asking because glide baits usually require a faster gear ratio reel compared to other types of swimbaits. I throw mostly glide baits so I wanted to know if the 8.1 would be the way to go and the better fit since you said it was perfect and since you used it with a glide bait like the Spro Chad Shad. 

If all goes well in a couple of days, I might just have the same exact setup as you!

Thanks.

Edited by DEPS_250