North New Jersey Pig

captainhookset

April 9th 2024. North NJ. We launched the boat around 6:45am, and the Lowrance said the water temp near the marina was 47.4, We decided as the sun was coming up we were going to run to the south end of the lake, an area I hadnt fished much over the last two years. The south end is much shallower, and loaded with grass. I figured I could find warmer water, and sure enough found a section of the lake that was getting nailed by the rising son, and by 10am the water was close to 51.

After throwing the 10oz Mattlures trout for a few hours, i decided my neck needed a break. Tied on the Raid Gravity Impact shad, in the Clown colorway. Everyone loves red in the spring, but i've never had much success with it. Figured the redhead on the Clown wouldn't hurt.

One of the houses on the lake had a giant cement retaining wall, which looked like a good place for fish to warm up against. My buddy suggested we should give it a few casts. 

A few minutes later my rod bent over - the bite was subtle but I knew right away I had hooked something big. I initially thought it was a pickerel or pike or musky - but once I saw her come up my heart started thumping. I don't carry a net on my boat because, A - i always skunk, and B - it just adds to the clutter. She was way too big to swing her in so I bent over and scooped her into the boat. The thickness of her jaw blew me away. It was like a solid rock.

After screaming and high fiving for a few minutes, I put her in the livewell to relax a bit. Also the first time i put a fish in my livewell,. and my boat is a 2021.

Thats what i'm talking about - when i say the last few years have been absolutely terrible for me, thats not an exaggeration.  I was starting to question if it was even worth it - pulling the boat out of the garage the night before so i don't wake the boys, taking a day off work to go for a few hours on the days they go to daycare, putting the boat back into the garage and having to push it by freaking hand bc my driveway and garage are so tight - and having nothing to show for it.

Yesterday was a reminder to me as to why i do this and why bass fishing has made me happy for decades. The older i get, the more expensive the rods and reel and boats become, but at the end of the day we do this because there is ALWAYS A CHANCE that you will find the big mama jamma.

Thanks to Michael aka jewjitsu mike for sharing the moment with me. I dont know his name on here but hes a solid bro. 

Rod - Designo Leben Slang "illest"

Reel - Daiwa Zillion HD 8:1

Line - Seagar Tatsu 15lb 

Bait - Raid Gravity Impact "Clown"

PB Largemouth - 6lbds, 12oz

PB3.jpg

PB4.jpg

PB2.jpg

PB 1.jpg

6 hours ago, chang127 said:

Congrats on the PB!

How'd you work the lure by the wall when you got bit? Were you casting your lure parallel with the wall?

No, it was super shallow up against the wall and had some scattered rock so I wasn't comfortable pushing the boat up close. I was out in about 7' casting as close to the wall as possible and crawwwling the bait back to me. Like barely turning the handle. 

• 2 weeks later...