Best 250 fish yet-more to follow!

maine y yak

April 19-21 2024

It's been windy for what seems like a month! Throwing big glides has become an obsession - 250SS is the weapon of choice after getting a few bites on it last season - I have decided to really commit to this bait and find a big bite. 

PXL_20240421_160550973.thumb.jpg.ecafb0523f8f148e3820d22d78c7e756.jpg

Have not been disappointed so far in water that still won't break 50°!

OG 250 courtesy of @Criglizard (thank YOU SIR!)

PXL_20240419_153317642.thumb.jpg.76885cb0e17115c727f512d0ee41fd5b.jpgPXL_20240419_153434189_MP.thumb.jpg.8127288c0bf9c43b6286ed6edb10f9fa.jpgand ANOTHER!

250 SS $54 from fishing shop.kiwi online store 

PXL_20240421_160216365.thumb.jpg.fa167669e5449c1a3ad4f2a2279ba132.jpg

646676285_PXL_20240421_1602495572.thumb.jpg.f6a0e2369885011142bb6d171b22717e.jpg

My suggestion to anyone who thinks the Deps 250 is too big for their water... ITS NOT! just throw it. Throw it more. Get used to it. Dial it in weight and balance. This bait flat out gets bit. (Both fish pictured came out of less than 200 acre pond in Maine of all places. 

When it blows hard, try casting in skinny water that is adjacent to something deeper. Just a suggestion, but the adrenaline factor is extremely high with the 250 SS. GET SOME!

Man commitment paid off big time for you! Nice!!!

The wind here in the northeast has been relentless this season. But, hey, it didn’t deter you and you came out a winner.
Good write up, very enjoyable and informative read. 

@Mossyback Anglerthanks for taking the time! This weekend looks like it'll lay down a bit, but now I'm torn because wind and a long drift in the kayak are becoming conditions I actually have a confidence in... It's always a blast any way it happens, and better than kick in the head! Tight lines to you!!

Good stuff, man! And your suggestion is spot on! That's exactly how I fish the 250. It's literally the only time I ever use it anymore, high winds blowing across shallow water with adjacent deep water nearby. How were you working the bait? I have a lot of confidence in working the 250 fast with aggressive reel chops in these conditions.

I mix up my retrieve based on what is working at the time - I always (try to) haha start VERY slow because the little grenade w bobber stops on my line ahead of the knot has been a game changer for my depth control. Taking stock hooks off and replacing w swiveling quads was the beginning of my tuning, realized that I needed a bit of weight to keep it neutral during my retrieve and that sliding it up the line adds depth control. It adds to the fouling percentage during a bomb cast so I usually try that after I've had a few clean swims thru an area. THEN if that doesn't work I get spastic and choppy. I found the OG 250 response much better to choppy retrieve and the new style doesn't work as well chopped (less forgiving of my crappy technique ;)

It's a big curve for me but I'm unlocking some knowledge after spending dedicated hours to it. I think that was my best key I hope anyone else who reads this will be inspired to really get in touch w this amazing bait. Thanks for the question! I hope you would share some secrets you've learned w me too! Cheers 

TZ

5 hours ago, Criglizard said:

Hell yeah brother!! Love to see it 

Amazing and fun. I'm super grateful to you for willingness to ship that mofo upta Maine. It's getting bit and getting me stoked on really learning a great classic bait. I buy everything, and sell almost all of it from disappointment unfortunately - the 250 is a real winner. Much appreciated I hope your Ghost is jamming em for you too!

It's probably the best overall glide. Also heavily underrated by most northern anglers for some reason. On my main lake it gets bit more consistently than pretty much any other bait during trout season. My only complaint with the bait is fish tend to throw it easily. 

Awesome fish, congrats. Also excellent advice, that exact bait setup (ghost ayu with quads) happened to catch me my two biggest fish of the last couple years (and in Northern CO).

I second the wind thoughts, glidebaits in general are such a confidence bait for me during those high sun, windy days. 

8 hours ago, maine y yak said:

I mix up my retrieve based on what is working at the time - I always (try to) haha start VERY slow because the little grenade w bobber stops on my line ahead of the knot has been a game changer for my depth control. Taking stock hooks off and replacing w swiveling quads was the beginning of my tuning, realized that I needed a bit of weight to keep it neutral during my retrieve and that sliding it up the line adds depth control. It adds to the fouling percentage during a bomb cast so I usually try that after I've had a few clean swims thru an area. THEN if that doesn't work I get spastic and choppy. I found the OG 250 response much better to choppy retrieve and the new style doesn't work as well chopped (less forgiving of my crappy technique ;)

It's a big curve for me but I'm unlocking some knowledge after spending dedicated hours to it. I think that was my best key I hope anyone else who reads this will be inspired to really get in touch w this amazing bait. Thanks for the question! I hope you would share some secrets you've learned w me too! Cheers 

TZ

No secrets here, man. I've just found what works for me and stuck with it. I used to fish the 250 religiously for years with little to show for it, mainly OG's but a couple of new styles here and there. Then, one windy day while messing around, it just clicked, and now those are the conditions I specifically look for when fishing the 250. I can fish it in dead calm waters and get followers for days, but my catch rate in those conditions are like less than 10%. Heavy winds blowing across the right structure is where it's at!

More specifically, I look for prime areas where the wind is blowing perpendicular to a break or drop-off connected to shallow water. When in the kayak, I like to position myself far upwind from the deep water side and let myself drift towards the shallow water. I try to position my drift so that I don't blow over the spot but get within casting distance of where I think the fish are. I usually target right at the edge of the break where the shallow and deep water meet. I have found that this approach, combined with high winds and lower water visibility from the waves, tends to spook the fish less.

On 4/24/2024 at 7:13 AM, Fried Lemons said:

It's probably the best overall glide. Also heavily underrated by most northern anglers for some reason. On my main lake it gets bit more consistently than pretty much any other bait during trout season. My only complaint with the bait is fish tend to throw it easily. 

I have to agree about the easily thrown aspect... until I found those Ryugi swiveling quads. Last season I put less than half I hooked in the kayak. So far, I've managed to get every one all the way to the boat and in (lost one right next to my hand) I stupidly don't carry a net. I think that's my next step towards preparation for the giant I'm hoping for. I don't like nets on the kayak though. There's no real way to make sense of placement yet, but I'm going to try. It's fun to fail and learn and get better - I truly believe that's most of the attraction of getting out there frequently. 

I've tried the hoog 10" trout and though it's supposed to be fantastic, I've still yet to really understand it. Caught 1 ambitious small guy on it, and probably should spend time w it too, BUT I'm stuck on the Deps. Happily!