Smithbaits Mag-X - anyone use it yet?

nadinesmom

they aren't "in production" yet they keep popping up new after how many years... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he makes baits for a select few... TW and some other sites stock some of his baits but he's got quite a few that only a few guys seem to wind up with.

is he trying to "out mickey" mickey?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they aren't "in production" yet they keep popping up new after how many years... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he makes baits for a select few... TW and some other sites stock some of his baits but he's got quite a few that only a few guys seem to wind up with.

I wondered about that. I have seen quite a few NIP magnums for sale lately.

I saw a picture on Instagram where a guy (g8tor or some thin like that) had a box full of NIP magnums.

I saw a picture on Instagram where a guy (g8tor or some thin like that) had a box full of NIP magnums.

Swimbaithub as well. Like all the colors.... crazy!

Not being on top of everything with SBs, but had to ask.. I though the magnum baits were not longer in production anymore?

I brought this up in another thread. And like 5 or 6 people replied by saying that the magnums are no longer in productions. But people had stocked up on them back when they were actually in production and they are just now selling them. But it is kinda hard to believe with the amount of NIP baits being listed for sale.

I think y'all need to realize that the Baitsmith Magnum is in total infringement of Ken Huddleston's patent. I am sure they are available in some way, shape, or form; but the maker (if he is smart) sure isn't making a big deal about it. Having actually prosecuted and obtained a bait related patent myself, I can tell you two things (1) they are expensive and worth protecting, and (2) you can snuff out the competition for 20 years once you get one.

I am watching that Mag X on that internet auction site and the price for the Mag-X is getting pretty high! A lot higher than I thought for a rubber trout. Won't lie I am tempted, because it looks totally awesome, but have too many irons in the fire right now.....

So I'm curious, who in the swimbait industry has ever protected one and what was the outcome?

No idea. That said, Ken Huddleston's patent is a utility patent, it not just protects the SHAPE of the bait, but also the way the bait moves. Basically any bait that has a tail that only goes side to side with vertical stability (as opposed to a boot tail that has a more erratic kick to it) and thus has a "swimming motion" is infringing on the patent.

I would post a link to the utility patent, but I know that is taboo on this sight so just do a search for Huddleston Utility Patent and you can ready what is protected.

In the case of my patent, I obtained a design patent on a finesse worm for a bait company I used to run (no longer in the bait business). Design patents only protect the shape of something.

As applied to the swimbait world, I think that enforcement would be difficult mainly because many of the players are relatively small and collecting on any sort of judgment for damages would be tough (i.e., the companies or people behind them are judgment proof). Could you get an injunction to stop future production? Sure, but that will cost at least 10-15K. And it would be hard to police any sort of underground production after the injunction is granted.

It is a heck of a thing...