200 size reels

Jtelarkin08

Do any of you use 200 size reels for smaller baits like baby wakes and fs shads? I've been throwing mine on a 200e5 and really like it. I've heard guys say 200 is to small but I can cast it a long way an still have quite a bit of line left. I've been throwing 20# Big game. Just curious you guys thoughts on this

I have really only done it with braid (on those rare occasions). I threw the FS shad on a STX-L and it was ok.

My main reason for not doing it with mono is when you cast out far enough, the gear ratio of your reel is greatly changed. It feels SLOOOOW when there is hardly any line on the reel.

I like the Curado 301, personally.

My setup I used this past year was a dobyns 795 with a revo winch. I used this for things like fs shad, 7" slammers etc.. It was spooled with 15lb berkley. It works very well but with certain baits I can get very close to spooling it on a long cast.

I think i may be the odd one out on this but i have a Calcutta 400 and i think its a bit overkill even if im fishing a 10" fs or BAA I can get away with a 300 sized pluton and its more comfortable. And pretty much all other swimbaits are on a Calcutta 200 DC or a Calais APV and i have no problems throwing 20lb triple fish on them. My friend and I have spooled his 200DC on a cast when he spooled it with 25 lb though so if you want to use a smaller reel dont go above 20 lb, however, in my opinion, you just dont need the ridiculous capacity of a 400.

I do have a Calcutta 250 DC that has 55lb braid on it for smaller baits such as baby wakes. That's one of my fun setups when pond hopping. The only downside is the drag, but it's usually just smaller fish on that gear. What I do like is the smaller spool for braid.

Back in the day I have used a zillion, which worked well but you have to consider the stress your putting on the spool shaft. Which slightly warped the spool on my zillion after awhile of use. I also think that the 400 sized reels are a slight overkill for bass, with 20lb and a long range cast you still have plenty of room, and we wench bass in. But with that being said I also swimbait saltwater, and with certain fish that technique just isnt going to work. Either the hooks, line or rod will give in, so the extra capacity of the 400 works well using 25-30lb test.

Lately, I've been throwing all my 6" baits on a 200 size Daiwa Advantage HSTA and 20# Triple Fish with a Dobyns 795ML. Casts great, PLENTY big for the size baits I'm throwing on it; all I need really. Can cast a Rago SKT a mile with plenty of line to spare. For bigger baits; I use 300 and 400 Shimanos.

Arden

I don't want to argue with you on the phone. I want you to stop calling people posers and talking sh!t to people contributing to the board. This is swimbait underground and its about the members right? I come here to read about swimbaits and to contribute. But who will want to contribute something when the Great Mickey Ellis might talk ish on your post and clown you?