Taste

WABASSER

I've read around about scents and why people think and whether or not bass can even smell them. I was wondering with using these scents, can bass taste some of the scents out there? If you get a short strike could they taste the scent and make them come back and slam it? And what do these scents taste like?

I hit so quick on hits they don't get time to think about taste :lol: And when it goes bolting away if missed , they will come back if they want it or if another one is near she may jump on it too.

Sure you can say you want to do all you can for that one hit but the truth is right bait, right cast, right spot, right time = catch, far more than any gimmick ever could.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, there's where I have an issue.

It's a "gimmick" to you. That's all fine and dandy but if it gives confidence to the angler using it, is it really a "gimmick" just because you say so? :lol:

I mean, you religiously tout PF as the best line out there in your opinion. In my opinion, PF is garbage.

Everyone has different experiences I guess. I just don't see how using scent has anything but a positive effect, whether it be through actual science of a fish detecting it on a bait or the perception to the angler that it gives them even the slightest advantage.

See, there's where I have an issue.

It's a "gimmick" to you. That's all fine and dandy but if it gives confidence to the angler using it, is it really a "gimmick" just because you say so? :lol:

I mean, you religiously tout PF as the best line out there in your opinion. In my opinion, PF is garbage.

Everyone has different experiences I guess. I just don't see how using scent has anything but a positive effect, whether it be through actual science of a fish detecting it on a bait or the perception to the angler that it gives them even the slightest advantage.

No its not because I say so. But that's a two way street. And for the line I don't say it's the best at all. It's the best to me for the buck. No one said you have to do what I say lmao!! Many of you guys today think what I say is it ,to me. It's just another opinion. I talk and take part . But anyway you don't have to like a single thing about me but i will put my two cents in too. Sorry if it doesn't go with your thoughts. PF is doing GREAT for me. Lord know if I used scent and used your line I would do better :lol:

I've beat good fisherman, in the same boat way too many times for me to discredit the success of various scents. Fish have keen senses of smell, not gonna compare a bass to a shark but the shark can smell a drop of blood from 1/4 mile away? And a bass cant smell grinded up trout in a bottle from 6'' away?

If nothing else it masks human scents like gas and oil, and lubricates the bait which I really like for smallmouth, or northerns with little mouths.

I've beat good fisherman, in the same boat way too many times for me to discredit the success of various scents. Fish have keen senses of smell, not gonna compare a bass to a shark but the shark can smell a drop of blood from 1/4 mile away? And a bass cant smell grinded up trout in a bottle from 6'' away?

If nothing else it masks human scents like gas and oil, and lubricates the bait which I really like for smallmouth, or northerns with little mouths.

post-1824-14252996600762_thumb.jpg

Man, how could you do better? You're the Donfather!

I'll go out on a limb and bet that if Procure paid you (or gave you free ish), it would be the best "gimmick" on the planet right?

No. But I bet I would have got caught up in the use of it more . Because I would have still done as well as I have anyway . You, me and the rest would think it had something to do with it. I learned from it all.

That's great colby, I have trophies on the wall that beat over 200 people without lmao!! Does that count? And that's at night when you would think scent and taste would mean even more. No?

It's all good boys, believing in what your doing is a good thing. I like to test things out for me. I can only talk what I have learned on the water. I feel I got past some of that stuff. Like said if I still used it and caught what I did, we would All feel it had something to do with it. Now that it didn't use it and did so well will you too question why? I always do. If it doesn't help my fishing then what is it for? I can only talk again about my fishing. So I toss mine out and you toss yours. But mine is not greater than its just another opinion.

I like how you guys are building into a confident zone though. 8-)

Like most I like ProCure. I was using that Hot Sauce stuff Byron velvick was endorsing and it just didn't seem to work as well. I think the thing that seperates pro cure from the rest is that it is actually the ground up forage so it has all the amino acids, tastes, and smells of the real thing. Now do I think a rainbow trout actually smells like rainbow trout procure? No. Does a cow in the pasture smell like ground beef? But I do feel like when a fish hits and it gets that stimulus of the amino acids and flavors it helps trigger an impulsive response from the fish that it gets from eating real forage. I've witnessed it turn follows into bites for me in certain situations. In my opinion color, profile and presentation are more important than scent but I need all the help I can get hahaha. Also the thing that separates the good from the best are the details. Not knocking Don in any way, still a great fishermen. So don't interpret it in a condescending way. Can't tell you the first or last time I caught a 50 lb limit. But long story short. It can't hurt so might as well use it. I like it. Going fishing without ProCure is like going to bed without my blankie :D

I think what Don is trying to say is that when fish want to eat, pro cure isn't going to make or break you. Find the fish, find the bite Window, catch the fish. When you nail down a hand full of spots on a few lakes and figure out how, when, and what the fish eat you don't necessarily need an advantage. If there is one thing the Don father knows it is how important spots are. They can make or break your trip. I mean ish... He literally said that he would never fish a glide, called butch up and got a deps and proceeded to win a tourney on here followed by the battle of the underground... After not having a boat for months. Learn your fish and you can catch them on whatever you want.

Keep in mind we're talking about a guy who told me all I would ever need is Okuma Guide Series XH rods because it was all about the size of the fish we were targeting and not about the baits. Now it's all about LDC rods and how they match up with different baits. I guess when I find someone to buy my three XH Okumas I might be able to get one of those LDC rods.

Keep in mind we're talking about a guy who told me all I would ever need is Okuma Guide Series XH rods because it was all about the size of the fish we were targeting and not about the baits. Now it's all about LDC rods and how they match up with different baits. I guess when I find someone to buy my three XH Okumas I might be able to get one of those LDC rods.

:lol::lol: Those are the only rods you do need, no one NEEDS an LDC. They may be nicer but an Okuma is cheap and will get the job done. Don isn't lying to anyone, he has no reason too. He could just give no input at all or stop posting the videos that show everyone who is smart enough to watch for it successful retrieves he uses with his 250's.

Keep in mind we're talking about a guy who told me all I would ever need is Okuma Guide Series XH rods because it was all about the size of the fish we were targeting and not about the baits. Now it's all about LDC rods and how they match up with different baits. I guess when I find someone to buy my three XH Okumas I might be able to get one of those LDC rods.[/quote

Hey dude think about all the buffs and flat billed hats you were able to buy with that money you saved. He did you a favor.

:lol::lol: Those are the only rods you do need, no one NEEDS an LDC. They may be nicer but an Okuma is cheap and will get the job done. Don isn't lying to anyone, he has no reason too. He could just give no input at all or stop posting the videos that show everyone who is smart enough to watch for it successful retrieves he uses with his 250's.

I thought you were the same guy as the original post you quoted :lol: Names are too similar but great point.

I am fairly religious about using scent. The one day I didn't use it this year, I ended up with a 42 lb limit and my biggest fish for the year. What does this anecdotal evidence tell you? Nothing. Other than maybe at least that day they didn't care. Maybe on most days they don't care. Or maybe I would have done better if I had stocked up on Smelly Jelly and had buttered up my baits. I guess we'll never know.

One thing I can tell you is to not rub gasoline on your baits; it removes the paint.

-Ali