Swimbaits for Ledges

charlie.m.jr

Guys,

I was wanting some suggestions for swimbaits to fish on ledges. Stuff that's anywhere from 8-15 foot on top that falls off into the river. I fish predominately KY lake and the water visibility is usually (in the summer ) about 2-3 feet at the most. Some of these baits will also be fished over grass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've caught a few fish this spring next to cover ( crappie hides and old lay downs ) but the shallow bite is just about played out. ( For me it already has ) I would love some suggestions on baits and colors and info on why to fish them ie. sink rate, action, etc. I tournament fish, so this would be for baits that will not only catch some numbers but will also catch big fish as well.

Thanks

I fish a lot of jig head swimbaits now. I love the revenge headz with yum money minnows. I've used those several years now and catch a lot of fish of them. I was think more along of hard swimbaits on this post. Thanks for the input though

. I tournament fish, so this would be for baits that will not only catch some numbers but will also catch big fish as well.

Thanks

If you are serious enough and like TOC's and want to be consistent, I would stick to conventional fishing. You can just add an A rig and be fine. You need limits. Most times you are looking for 2 to 4 lb fish. Other baits out fish swimbaits for fish this size. My 2 cents.

. I tournament fish, so this would be for baits that will not only catch some numbers but will also catch big fish as well.

Thanks

If you are serious enough and like TOC's and want to be consistent, I would stick to conventional fishing. You can just add an A rig and be fine. You need limits. Most times you are looking for 2 to 4 lb fish. Other baits out fish swimbaits for fish this size. My 2 cents.

Well I'm looking to add it to my arsenal. Here 5 2-4 pound fish won't even get a pat on the back. Lol. I had33 pounds two wweeks ago and came in 3rd place. Its crazy what it takes to win here. I know ...at least I think I know... that its all situational. The a rig here once the water gets over about 60 degrees the fish turn off of it. At least for me and most of my friends here that's the norm.

I have this grand vision of using it to catch a big kicker fish or several good fish. Maybe my hopes are too high. Lol

Thanks

Well I'm looking to add it to my arsenal. Here 5 2-4 pound fish won't even get a pat on the back. Lol. I had33 pounds two wweeks ago and came in 3rd place. Its crazy what it takes to win here. I know ...at least I think I know... that its all situational. The a rig here once the water gets over about 60 degrees the fish turn off of it. At least for me and most of my friends here that's the norm.

I have this grand vision of using it to catch a big kicker fish or several good fish. Maybe my hopes are too high. Lol

And they think we have it easy here. You can win under 20 lbs some times here lol

feast or famine in california. one of the lakes in my area puts out 30-35 lb bags one week and 15 lb bags the next...

I've fished in a lot of states and there's nowhere like California for big fish but there's also nowhere that gets pressured like California. I'm not a Donfather boot licker but i'll definitely say that what you did this year was damn impressive. ish, what you do every year is impressive!

Swimbaits can get you kicker fish, but don't head out hoping to throw it all day and catch 20 lmb like you might with traditional gear. Use it in the areas where you know big fish feed, then pick off decent fish with your traditional gear the rest of the day. A combination of the two can go a long way. Excluding swimbaits is dumb and only throwing swimbaits in tournaments is equally as dumb IMHO.

The feast or famine part makes perfect sense. I just think that maybe I'm missing out on something that has the potential to really help in tournament situations. And it usually takes a big sack of fish to win here, mostly 25 pounds plus. We also have our times to though when 18-20 pounds will win as well. some perspective for here is the tournament I fished Saturday, it had around 230 boats and only took 24 something to win, but my cousin had almost 18 pounds and didn't get a check on a tournament that paid 25 places. LOL

When you guys throw these hard swimbaits, what are you looking for? Like what gives you the inclination to throw them is what I'm asking? Is it seeing baitfish up, or seeing a school of fish on your electronics? Or is this a just go hunting for a few big fish approach? Like I said, I fish the soft swimbaits quiet a bit here but there's something about catching a fish on one of the hard ones that has me hooked.