Recording the moment. What brand digi camera to buy?

BIG BAIT

I have been looking to buy a digital camera. More a point and shoot camera. Was looking at the Sony Cyber Shot its a 14.1 megapixel but has a nice 10X zoom on it. Want it to be somewhat pocket friendly. Any suggestions or problems with a model that you have experienced?

Don't get hung up on megapixel count.

Quality, lower megapixel optics will ALWAYS be better than cheaper, high megapixel optics. I have a Nikon D40 that is only 6 or so MP and it will create high res photos up to 11X14 easily.

That being said, typically anything Nikon, Sony or Canon will be AT LEAST decent quality. I am partial to Nikon.

Same here, don't get caught up on the high megapixel count. I've been using a Sony cybershot for the last couple years and had no complaints. It's been dropped a few times on rocky shorelines and even got wet, it still has no problems. If I'm not mistaken, the price was around $400.

I did buy a Canon SD1400 a few months back and I like that one better. I paid $229 for it and I just checked target.com and it's on sale for $149.99 right now.

http://www.target.com/Canon-PowerShot-S ... tailbutton

Thanks for the ideas. Wondering how bad of an idea a touch screen will be for a fishing camera.

I would avoid it. I would avoid going overboard with any digital camera for fishing cause you know at some point chances are it is going to get ruined. Get something half-decent at a reasonable price. The only option I would recommend is a decent timer.

Fro ust taking pictures of fish, i will use a cannon powershot g11. It works great for that.

If you are looking for a headcam sort of thing, Dave Roberson used a headcam for an Archos and just recorded it from the Archos. He had an Archos 4 I think which was discontinued. He used that one because it had interchangable batteries so he could get a lot of recording done.

I use a go pro hd as a headcam. It works great for what I need.

Hope this helps!

The one I have is made by Olympus, and is waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof. I also added a float to it so now its...you guessed it...drop-me-in-the-water-and-gone-forever-with-all-your-fish..proof.

Takes good pics and is near indestructible. Not too much either.

The one I have is made by Olympus, and is waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof. I also added a float to it so now its...you guessed it...drop-me-in-the-water-and-gone-forever-with-all-your-fish..proof.

Was waiting for someone with that camera to post up. I've heard the new ones also are a little bit more "shockproof." My buddy dropped one 20 ft down onto jetty rocks and it still takes solid picks to this day. Companies are always subjective, but with advances in photographic technology, it's win-win for the consumers. Pick one out and stick with it. Personally am using a panasonic with 10.1 megapixels and haven't had any problems for 2 years. And its been beat around a bit.

Geoff

Yeah the Olypmus stylus tough 8000 is an awesome camera and they got deals on ebay. It also comes with a cord so you do not have to pull the card to download to your computer you just plug in. Like you said waterproof, shockproof and freeze proof and you are good to go. I will probably add a float to mine as well that is a great idea.

Rich