Storm/Rain fishing

Garrettlikesbass

When do you like to fish swimbaits when a storm is cooking up? Do you like o fish be fore, during, or after storms? Ss, floaters, ess, fast sink? Free styles, glides, wakes?

Help me out! Havent been doing good rain fishing lately!

Match the hatch . Throw big baits constantly !

When do you like to fish swimbaits when a storm is cooking up? Do you like o fish be fore, during, or after storms? Ss, floaters, ess, fast sink? Free styles, glides, wakes?

May be the WORST answer I have ever heard, I like to fish whenever I can but preferably during the beginning day or two of the storm and I throw the same baits they just seem to come up better and bite better period on stormy days IMO. I can get bit on top almost all day, and on bottom stuff.

May be the WORST answer I have ever heard, I like to fish whenever I can but preferably during the beginning day or two of the storm and I throw the same baits they just seem to come up better and bite better period on stormy days IMO. I can get bit on top almost all day, and on bottom stuff.

Hahagahahaha it was sarcasm. I was mocking someone who always says things like that .

Before a storm, between storms after a break/right before the next wave (caught my best of this year almost 9# doing that).

I think fishing during a storm makes the fishing in general worse, but still feel like bigger fish have a larger strike zone during those periods.

Fish frontal systems during major migration type periods, especially prespawn-late staging type stuff. It's almost like swimbait guys forget that in general bass move, spawn, etc... The baits not even half the battle imo.

May be the WORST answer I have ever heard,

Hahaha :lol: but as Colby said, before and after are my best times. Weirdly have not caught one in the middle of the storm though. Throw what you have the most confidence in, any style of bait will work really.

Always done best before storms on topwater waits like rats and slammers. Like Colby said, they seem to have an increased strike zone, probably just because of the heavy cloud cover.

Yeah i did good rain fishing last year, butttt i was using conventional gear (walk the dog baits) but no good this year on swimbaits. Thanks for the replies guys! Except the guy who said "match the hatch and keep throwing swimbaits"

Wakes and floaters...Before if it's a bad storm, but if it's a steady rain or drizzle (with no lightning, I don't take my chances with that) I catch them during. I generally don't do well after storms.

I think you just discribed how i usualy fish in the rain! Haha lightning and thunder is a no no!

A lot of the time, bass will feed just before a low pressure system hits (storm). Low pressure puts less pressure against the fishes body which gives the fish comfort and an empty feeling belly which makes it more willing to chase prey. During the storm, the lightning flashes and thunder may send the fish deep and looking for safety, so not always a good time to fish but can be. Right after a storm is a good time to fish as well because the runoff carries frogs and other small prey throughout the lake. If you wanna get technical about it lol.

A lot of the time, bass will feed just before a low pressure system hits (storm). Low pressure puts less pressure against the fishes body which gives the fish comfort and an empty feeling belly which makes it more willing to chase prey. During the storm, the lightning flashes and thunder may send the fish deep and looking for safety, so not always a good time to fish but can be. Right after a storm is a good time to fish as well because the runoff carries frogs and other small prey throughout the lake. If you wanna get technical about it lol.

Thanks man this helped a lot!!!