battle for the underground question

SWIMBO

It's tough because the percentage thing is BS, I don't care if your state record is 10lbs, catching a 5lbr there isn't as hard as catching a 12-13 in Cali

imo I beg to differ...a 5#er in a state like Minnesota is probably older than a 12-13#er in cali..seriously think about it logically

The average 5lber in most smaller fish states is about 20 years old.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a touchy subject,but in the end where it's at is where it should be. Due to the point that this tourney was base on weight for big fish. Age of is not a factor because a 5 lb fish anywhere is a 5lb fish. Yes it does favor certain states but those states have shown they can be beat. In the end there is no right answer or solution.

I know this is a touchy subject,but in the end where it's at is where it should be. Due to the point that this tourney was base on weight for big fish. Age of is not a factor because a 5 lb fish anywhere is a 5lb fish. Yes it does favor certain states but those states have shown they can be beat. In the end there is no right answer or solution.

I always thought the point of this board was to share with like minded anglers in search of the apex predator in your local waters weather that's a 25#er or a 9#er...

The average 5lber in most smaller fish states is about 20 years old.

that isn't true. VERY FALSE. you don't have any clue about the lifespan of bass obviously. it is very rare for a bass to live 20 years. I don't know who told you that but they were way off base.

It's not fair. But who cares it is for fun. The best fish I have seen on this board is that smallie you were heismanning. There is no fair way to do it but we all know when someone catches a special fish. There is probably some math whiz somewhere who could take a bunch of data and spit us some decimal to multiply the fish by to make it fair. He is too busy playing video games.

I always thought the point of this board was to share with like minded anglers in search of the apex predator in your local waters weather that's a 25#er or a 9#er...

I agree but through three years being on here shows that largemouth dominate,plain and simple. I even have a contest to try and beat the largemouth bass and biggest non largemouth bass post can be the winner at the end of Feb 2015. But only 1 has posted through 8 tourneys. I understand your point SWIMBO but also that's why these tourneys are free. If there was a charge then it won't be fair.

It's tough because the percentage thing is BS, I don't care if your state record is 10lbs, catching a 5lbr there isn't as hard as catching a 12-13 in Cali

imo I beg to differ...a 5#er in a state like Minnesota is probably older than a 12-13#er in cali..seriously think about it logically

I also beg to differ, California runs half the height of the United States and has produced high teeners from N.Cal Shasta all the way to as far South as you can go. Ton of area for the right recipe to present itself. It doesn't take 15lbrs to win these tournaments, its access to a lot of good ones.

The BS thing about the % thing is state records from places with tiny state records where a guy catches a 6 or 7 and hes already in the 60-70% range, not pointing fingers but nobody can compete with that, and its not even that big of a fish...... Then on the other end of the spectrum guys with access to a good amount of 8-12lb fish win monthly tournaments .....monthly.....

Can't compare one fish to another fish regardless of location, my buddy moved to So-Cal and it took him about 4 hours on the water (probably half of which was texting and spacing off) before he caught his first Teener....TEENER, September.. and the day before had a DD +

swipe a TT.. He fished on the back of my boat for a good 3-4 years and just earlier this year he caught the biggest fish I witnessed him catch in Oregon about a 7lbr.

National big fish tournaments are pointless.

I only have one solution. Either no monthly tourneys or 2 tourneys each month. 1 for Largemouth and another for smallmouth and spotted bass. But what do I know. It's not my site and in the end we all hope while competing in the tourneys that we or individuals that we beat our personal best while we're fishing. At least that's my goal win it or lose it.

50-60 ft yr round

LOL, not so sure about that...

You fishing Tahoe, or Crater Lake?.......... :lol:

San Diego...literally gin clear water

Crater lake boasts an average water clarity of 90-100', its an effin' Volcano that has no vegetation and an extremely basic water makeup, you can't drive boats on it, let alone throw any sort of non-artificial bait into the lake, its fed entirely by snow melt..

The clearest lake I've bass fished at was probably Havasu, toward the Southern reaches, I saw some clarity that you could legitimately call about 30' clarity, my favorite lake might hit upper 20's if theres absolutely no boat traffic, wind, or influx. A particular extremely clear reservoir in N.Cal I've seen MAYBE 30', and I've seen Shasta hit maybe 27'+ one time in the Early Fall, without rain. Tahoe's avg clarity is supposedly 70' and there's restrictions as to what you can grow within the water-shed I'm sure there's more also.....

I just don't think you are fishing water anywhere remotely near 60' clarity, and if you are, A. Thats bad ass, and B. It probably doesn't have a whole lot to do with the fishing anyways. I'd way rather fish them in clear water than brown anyways.

Smallmouth x Spot tourney'd be fine by me.....

Yah gotta think states like Cali , Florida, Texas etc... Have a year round feeding enviroment. Bass don't go into the lethargic stages like bass in northern states do. Therefore can eat and grow larger quicker. I'm from jersey and my PB is 6 pounds 7 ounces and it's not for lackif skill or time on the water.... Natures a "Not Allowed"

My home lake "Shearon Harris Resevoir" is about 6,000 ish sq miles. I live in NC. They shocked the lake and found 2 fish in the 15+ lb range. One was 17 one was just oer 15. This is in NORHT CAROLINA! Theres big fish everywhere if you ask me. Some are just MUCH more abundant in places where they are giventhe chance to be bigger. (Cali for ex.)

That's nuts what nc state record anyway

NC state record is 14.9