battle for the underground question

SWIMBO

there's some great ideas and a lot of good information in this thread, but I'm not sure that making things more complicated will make anything better. sometimes simplicity is the best option, as i'm sure the owners of the site have far more things to worry about than this site...like working their day jobs to pay their own bills

Then why bother with the site?

You want to know what I think? Let's put it out there. You didn't know the first thing about swimbaits not long ago. You ended up catching a fish the size that I've dedicated years to attaining. You're telling me the current format lends itself to an even playing field?

If you throw enough ish against the wall, eventually it sticks.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's not what i'm saying at all, Wayne. Maybe they're doing it for the love, maybe not....I don't know. But they're the one's that say whether the catches fall within the rules or not and who ultimately wins each tournament. What i'm saying is that perhaps they don't have the time to dedicate to making the monthly battles any more complicated.

and yes, i haven't been throwing swimbaits that long and not too long ago, I was the stupid one asking stupid questions...hell, I still ask stupid questions sometimes and there's still a lot for me to learn, but it's not something that I hide. It's sites like this, with people who post great information to help others, that helped me catch the fish that I have, but that is neither here nor there

Here's a thought by keeping things simple and getting more partiapation during the tourneys is doing like SU has done in the past by using weight for number of entries into a drawing. This way everyone everywhere has a chance. With maybe the biggest fish getting the biggest amounts of entries. Still fun, but by encouraging posting during tourneys and by getting bigger fish more entries and everyone has a stake in it.

Even random drawings alone during tourneys for those that take part would help get posts up IMHO.

there's some great ideas and a lot of good information in this thread, but I'm not sure that making things more complicated will make anything better. sometimes simplicity is the best option, as i'm sure the owners of the site have far more things to worry about than this site...like working their day jobs to pay their own bills

You do know who owns this site right? :lol:

Wow!

I don't think I've ever read a thread that goes on for 9+ pages where someone isn't already crying and running home with their knickers in a knot. I'm impressed!

As one of the people from a non-big bass state, I'd love to see a tournament format that gave me a better chance of winning, but then if I was fortunate enough to still live within 30 minutes of the Cali delta, I'd wouldn't want anything to change. I've tried to come up with ideas of how the playing field might be leveled and the closest thing I could come up with was the following.

Instead of having one category for the Battle, you could have two.

The first is the original format, a straight-up big fish wins each month, and biggest fish caught by the 12 monthly winners takes the annual prize.

The second category is one where you post the weight of your fish and what percentage of your state's record weight that fish represents. The fish with the highest percentage for that month wins, and the top 12 monthly winners then slug it out for the annual prize. That would give people from state where bass are slow growing (like CO) a separate but still fun contest, while people in the states with better big bass potential can still slug it out like heavyweights in the original format. And there's nothing to say that you couldn't enter a fish in both categories - I could just see Don crushing them both! :D

Even if nothing changes, I'm still a fan of the Battle. It's fun to watch and gives me something to aspire to if/when I finally grow up.

Wow!

I don't think I've ever read a thread that goes on for 9+ pages where someone isn't already crying and running home with their knickers in a knot. I'm impressed!

As one of the people from a non-big bass state, I'd love to see a tournament format that gave me a better chance of winning, but then if I was fortunate enough to still live within 30 minutes of the Cali delta, I'd wouldn't want anything to change. I've tried to come up with ideas of how the playing field might be leveled and the closest thing I could come up with was the following.

Instead of having one category for the Battle, you could have two.

The first is the original format, a straight-up big fish wins each month, and biggest fish caught by the 12 monthly winners takes the annual prize.

The second category is one where you post the weight of your fish and what percentage of your state's record weight that fish represents. The fish with the highest percentage for that month wins, and the top 12 monthly winners then slug it out for the annual prize. That would give people from state where bass are slow growing (like CO) a separate but still fun contest, while people in the states with better big bass potential can still slug it out like heavyweights in the original format. And there's nothing to say that you couldn't enter a fish in both categories - I could just see Don crushing them both! :D

Even if nothing changes, I'm still a fan of the Battle. It's fun to watch and gives me something to aspire to if/when I finally grow up.

+1 I think that caters to everyone for the most part

Keep as is. How much better would it feel to beat out guys from states that produce huge bass? Better yet you win a tourney with a smallmouth. I also believe that the state that has most members would be California if I'm not mistaken.

Top 20 state records in my state, Louisiana, are 14-15 lbs and 17 of those were caught on the same lake. Yet I get excited about a 5 pounder and my pb is 7 pounds. Biggest I've seen is 9.3. Louisiana is tiny. So, what I'm trying to say is largemouth size can vary Big time depending on the lake you are fishing. I'm sure this is the same in Cali. Only way to make the competition fair is randomized, which is no fun. It is what it is

I completely understand how the tourney was developed and how this is a Cali site basically. Obviously living in Mass I would like to see the rules changes to help out northern state guys but I just don't see it happening. I mean yeah we have a shot in winning and individual month (most likely In the summer) but legitimately have no chance in ever winning the Battle for the underground year tourney. (Unless someone catches something een close to the "state record 15 lber")