battle for the underground question

SWIMBO

The % of state record sounds good but it may not be so good in real life. Don's winning fish was 46.8% of the Cali state record. I did the math and in order to tie Don you would need the following weights in other states:

AL-7.72#

CO- 5.32

FL- 8.08

AZ- 7.72

ME- 5.44

MN- 4.42

NH- 4.92

PA- 5.24

RI- 4.85

WA- 5.42

OR- 5.43

NC- 7.43

MT- 4.12

MA- 7.26

I'm in Massachusetts and a 7.26 may be roughly as difficult to catch as a 10.3 Cali bass. But I can drive less than an hour and be fishing in NH or RI where a 5 pounder would beat Don. It is not that difficult to get a 5# fish in either of those states and I would never think a 5 pounder from NH or RI is equivalent to a Cali 10.3. Speedbead would beat Don with a 5.25 fish from PA. You can look at the list and see if the "% state record" approach makes sense to you.

I just want to point out how difficult it is to make it "fair" for everyone.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely understand how the tourney was developed and how this is a Cali site basically. Obviously living in Mass I would like to see the rules changes to help out northern state guys but I just don't see it happening. I mean yeah we have a shot in winning and individual month (most likely In the summer) but legitimately have no chance in ever winning the Battle for the underground year tourney. (Unless someone catches something een close to the "state record 15 lber")

And that's the thing man there is a lot of us not from Cali that support this site like by using the tackle warehouse banner and contributing on the forum..so if the site doesn't wanna take us into consideration maybe we should consider taking our support elsewhere...

Just some food for thought..

The members are what make this site what it is

I made reference to the size pyramid a few pages back, that's a good mathematical representation as to why the % answer isn't airtight either. It really does eliminate the big fish states.

I must be a complete idiot be cause I would say it's about as hard as a guy from a small bass state to catch a dd as it is for a guy in Cali to catch a 17..

Hell I can think of two 17's caught in Cali this year right off the top of my head

I made reference to the size pyramid a few pages back, that's a good mathematical representation as to why the % answer isn't airtight either. It really does eliminate the big fish states.

And the current format does the exact same thing to the states with lower weights, right?

Since he's the face of the tournament, we'll use Don as the example. He caught more DD fish this year than PA has probably EVER had landed. That's just my state. Plenty of other states have it worse than PA. Lol

I completely understand how the tourney was developed and how this is a Cali site basically. Obviously living in Mass I would like to see the rules changes to help out northern state guys but I just don't see it happening. I mean yeah we have a shot in winning and individual month (most likely In the summer) but legitimately have no chance in ever winning the Battle for the underground year tourney. (Unless someone catches something een close to the "state record 15 lber")

And that's the thing man there is a lot of us not from Cali that support this site like by using the tackle warehouse banner and contributing on the forum..so if the site doesn't wanna take us into consideration maybe we should consider taking our support elsewhere...

Food for beef

Speed - yes it does. You're trading one format that people see as unfair for another that people see as unfair. On the more fair side, there have been a lot of contests that are picked at random, where you just have to register a fish to get in. I'm really not arguing either way.

Food for beef

When I'm trying to start beef trust me there will be no doubt

I must be a complete idiot be cause I would say it's about as hard as a guy from a small bass state to catch a dd as it is for a guy in Cali to catch a 17..

Hell I can think of two 17's caught in Cali this year right off the top of my head

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't...I'd lean towards the latter. It really depends on the small bass state.

I had some beef for dinner. Sloppy joes... :D:D

Name those seventeens! I can literally think of none. But I did take a lot of time off cause I was having a baby then only got to fish at night after I had that baby which left me very tired. I'm out of the loop name those 17s!

Name those seventeens! I can literally think of none. But I did take a lot of time off cause I was having a baby then only got to fish at night after I had that baby which left me very tired. I'm out of the loop name those 17s!

I saw one on video cast to catch by a dude named Oliver that dreams to much(once he drops bbd2 buy it to see it :D )

And I could swore Mike Gilbert caught a 17?